Hello,

I'm new here and I've already read the sticky (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328491). But I still have some specific questions.

First, some background. I'm learning how to play an acoustic guitar and am interested in purchasing an electric guitar soon. My preferred music styles are primarily rock, some jazz and country.

I want to buy an electric guitar which will last me for "life" (I can't affort N guitars, at least not now). So it should have a wide range of features to suit rock and jazz music, and shouldn't necessarily be an "entry-level" model or one suited best only for a beginner. I suppose the learning curve could be steep with such an instrument, but I am willing to put in some extra hard work and time to learn how to play it.

I am confused about models from Fender and Ibanez. Somehow, I feel inclined to buy a Fender, but I am not sure which one. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[My budget is $500 (maximum).]

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Vivek

(Also, if anyone here is from India, I'd also like to know where I can get Fender and Ibanez guitars in New Delhi, which is close to where I live.)
If you're looking for something to suit a wide range of styles, and you're inclined towards Fenders then I'd say look for a cheap [Fender] Telecaster...
A great, solid all-rounder is the Washburn X50PRO if you can get hold of one. It's got two humbuckers, but you can split the coils to get singlecoil tones.

What amp have you got/are getting?
dude....you could get some ibanez and squire models on bajaao.com...but keep in mind squire are cheaper versions of fenders ....other than that you will probably have to get them imported ....if your looking at some other manufacturers like esp, yamaha, prs etc you could get them at furtados in mumbai....personally i would find it secure in actually playing the instrument before you buy it....
epiphone makes some really nice (and thin) hollowbodies. great for jazz, blues and more classic rock sounds.
Quote by blue_strat
A great, solid all-rounder is the Washburn X50PRO if you can get hold of one. It's got two humbuckers, but you can split the coils to get singlecoil tones.

What amp have you got/are getting?

I don't have an amp yet. I thought I should get a guitar first, and an amp suited to it.

And the one you've suggested (http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/x/x50.aspx)...is three times my budget..there's no way I can afford that
Quote by Johnny Trash
If you're looking for something to suit a wide range of styles, and you're inclined towards Fenders then I'd say look for a cheap [Fender] Telecaster...

Whats the difference between Stratocasters and Telecasters? I noticed that Telecasters are more expensive.
Quote by AiC
dude....you could get some ibanez and squire models on bajaao.com...but keep in mind squire are cheaper versions of fenders ....other than that you will probably have to get them imported ....if your looking at some other manufacturers like esp, yamaha, prs etc you could get them at furtados in mumbai....personally i would find it secure in actually playing the instrument before you buy it....

Ibanez versus Fender..which is better?

What about Gibson, Washburn..do they have affordable models <= ~Rs. 16,000?

Well, Mumbai is too far off from here...and after sales support will be an issue. I would have preferred buying one from Delhi.
On second thoughts I'd stick to rock and metal (maybe with some jazz inclination) and a budget of $500. Washburns are absolutely out of question here. Are Fender strat copies any good?

Any suggestions?
Quote by darkmav
Ibanez versus Fender..which is better?

What about Gibson, Washburn..do they have affordable models <= ~Rs. 16,000?

Well, Mumbai is too far off from here...and after sales support will be an issue. I would have preferred buying one from Delhi.

man....we live in India....not exactly the most happening place when it comes to guitar choices.... the cheapest fender will cost you close to 30k ...not really worth it IMO....i personally would prefer an Ibanez if i had to go for it.... Gibson's are even worst when compared to fenders ...too costly and really not that many options when it comes to choice....

there are some good washburn guitars on bajaao , check 'em out....however as this is your first guitar ...i would suggest you go for a fixed bridge one rather than a tremlo.... you could get some decent greg bennet models like the AV6 or some ESp models ....however for ESp's you'll have to get 'em from furtados' ....i don't really know about guitar stores in Delhi , so can't comment.... good luck!!!
Yeah okay, although its strange that Fender does manufacture guitars in this price range yet we don't have access to them out here. And btw, most probably this will be my only electric guitar...so I'd like it to be pretty good (tremolo included :p even if its not from a high end manufacturer like Fender or Gibson (and definitely not Washburn...lol ). Whats your take on other makes? Any strat variants that you consider good, like Kramer? And other brands like BC Rich? What are the Ibanez models that come close to Fender but are within the Rs.20,000/- price range? I'm looking for something that lasts long and has enough features to keep me occupied with rock and metal...now, I'm not really finicky about the manufacturer. I don't want to compromise on good sound, quality and features as I won't be buying another guitar anytime soon...maybe after 10 years or so
i've played a kramer model...but wasn't quite impressed with them.... the ibanez GRG220DEX seems like a pretty good deal at abt Rs. 16,300 ....another one is the RG321MH ...the RG series is especially popular ...i think it's about 17.5k ...the RGR-321EX and RGR421EXFM are also pretty good....the kramer striker series is something you could try....but can't say if they are any good.... as far as BC Rich is concerned, i'm don't think they are available in India...so you may have to get them imported....if you are looking at rock or metal then ESP guitars are probably the best...have a look at the M-100FM ....it ahs a licensed floyd rose tremlo system....if you are into it....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Last edited by darkmav at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by darkmav
Hi AiC, thanks for your inputs. I am looking at the models you mentioned while also reading up stuff about the electric guitar. What do you think about this model: http://www.bajaao.com/fender-squier-showmaster-electric-guitar-p-4958.html

Although I understand that you accessibility issues being in India, I don't think a Squier is what you're looking for. It's pretty entry level/beginner and probably won't be a guitar for "life".
Hi TheProducer, thanks for that advice. Could you also have a look at the other links and let me know what you make of them. You're right about accessibility and cost issues in my geographical location...which is why I want to be very sure before I buy an electric guitar.
Hmm, I don't know too much about Ibanez guitars, I've only owned one of their basses, and I loved it and it was great quality. I'm going to have to say that in general, Ibanez > Squier. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can get Ibanezs in your area, I think they would be the more life-long guitar your looking for.

Again, I hope someone can agree/disagree with me on this so I'm not misleading you.
Hmm, I've heard good things about Ibanez here as well.

So now, I'm trying to figure out which of those Ibanez models I should go for...from the links listed above. I am more interested in playing rock and metal (and maybe some jazz occasionally, but thats not important at all).

Actually, for Ibanez these are some of the options I have:

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2008-rgr421exfm-electric-guitar-p-4959.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-series-grg220dex-electric-guitar-p-4352.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-rg321mh-electric-guitar-made-in-indonesia-p-3588.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-series-rgr321ex-electric-guitar-with-emg-pickups-p-4287.html
I'm going to vote the RGR421EXFM

But honestly other than one being basswood and the other being mahogany, I can't tell the difference from those specs.

EDIT: Nevermind, you changed the options while I was typing :P
Ok :-)

I've read the amplifier thread as well. Do you have any specific recommendations?

http://www.bajaao.com/kustom-sound-cube-20r-guitar-keyboard-amplifier-p-3922.html

http://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg10cd-10w-guitar-amplifier-p-59.html

http://www.bajaao.com/stranger-cube-20-20w-guitar-amplfier-p-42.html

Its just that I don't want to spend too much money on an amplifier. I'll just be practicing anyway.

[By the way, I don't know how funny/crazy this may sound...but how about building your own amplifier? I guess speakers will be hard to get.]
Quote by darkmav
Hmm, I've heard good things about Ibanez here as well.

So now, I'm trying to figure out which of those Ibanez models I should go for...from the links listed above. I am more interested in playing rock and metal (and maybe some jazz occasionally, but thats not important at all).

Actually, for Ibanez these are some of the options I have:

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2008-rgr421exfm-electric-guitar-p-4959.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-series-grg220dex-electric-guitar-p-4352.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-rg321mh-electric-guitar-made-in-indonesia-p-3588.html

http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-series-rgr321ex-electric-guitar-with-emg-pickups-p-4287.html

If i had to choose from the above, i would go for the ibanez 421exfm... looks good and has got emg designed pickups....pretty good guitar especially if you are starting out...
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Quote by TheProducer
Hmm, I don't know too much about Ibanez guitars, I've only owned one of their basses, and I loved it and it was great quality. I'm going to have to say that in general, Ibanez > Squier. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can get Ibanezs in your area, I think they would be the more life-long guitar your looking for.

Again, I hope someone can agree/disagree with me on this so I'm not misleading you.

i agree with TheProducer...if you have a choice then go for an Ibanez over a squire....
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
The difference between Basswood and Mahogany:

Mahogany: Deeper, warmer, bassier tone than alder. Often used with a flame/quilt maple top/cap, to even out the bass and add a bit of brightness, and also to look nice!

Basswood: used a lot on shred guitars, particularly Ibanez. Very light weight, soft (dings easily), very nice warm (lots of mids), musical tone, but can sometimes almost sound too ?nice? or ?sweet?, particularly if you want a ?nasty? tone for e.g. metal. Great for melodic soloing/shred, though.

your call....
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Thanks guys. I'll do some more research before I actually buy something. And I think I will go in for the low cost Marshall amplifier...another reason for it is that I have a HUGE amplifier and speaker system at home which is currently connected to my computer using a homebrew arrangement...so I'm all for adapting it to an electric guitar rather than buying an expensive amplifier.
Always, always, always, always, ALWAYS play the guitar before you buy it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Ok, I've pretty much decided in favor of the Ibanez RGR421EXFM. But I've read something on the net about the pickups not being very good, and that they're not really EMG pickups. What does this mean?

I am getting this guitar for about Rs.18,500 (about US $462.5 if $1 = Rs. 40), which isn't cheap, so I want to be sure what its features are and what its capable of doing.

As for the amplifier, I want a decent one but I don't want to pay more than US $100 for it, as I already have a full fledged audio amplifier with gigantic speakers at home. I just want a decent guitar amplifier which sounds good and has useful features but isn't very expensive. Any ideas?
the pickups on this guitar are passive pups designed by Ibanez based on EMG designs.... so they are not really EMG pickups .... u won't get any guitars here in India with active pups that are below 30k .... but the quality of passive pups depends on the price ....for a guitar costing 18k the quality of the pups may no be that great....
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Hi AiC, good to see you on this thread again

Ok, I'm not a bigtime guitar player, so I guess at a later stage I could get the pickups changed. Besides, even if I were to go in for a cheaper Ibanez guitar, the pickups would still not be EMG, right--according to what you said? I am not looking for ALL possible thrills and features in this electric guitar, so I guess its okay. But do you suggest otherwise?

Right now, I'm planning to go in for the Ibanez RGR421EXFM and a Marshall 10CD amplifier. Do you have any other recommendations for guitar/amp?
from what i've heard the RGR421EXFM is a pretty good axe....24 jumbo frets and all.... especially good if you are starting out.... the amp however is quite basic....i don't think it has any reverb or distortion in it... i would suggest going for a amp which has atleast reverb....

coming back to the guitar again...later on if you want you can put in around 10k and install EMG 81 active pups or a combo like EMG 81-85 pups....
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
are you planning on getting any effect pedals or processors???
My Gear

ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
Not right now, but maybe later. Right now, I am trying to get hold of this guitar...and its a hard task. Onstage in Delhi doesn't have it in stock and I am in Delhi these days
Quote by Johnny Trash

Yeah, I agree, a Fender is definatly the best option.