I've decided I'm going to apply for a Music course in college. I have to display an adequate level of competence on my main instrument (guitar). Only thing is I'm very nervous that I'm not good enough to get on the course. I was wondering if the Pit could help me regarding what I should do to best get accepted, and share stories of doing music in college.

Specifically, what should I play for my audition? I've been playing for 8 months, and I prefer acoustic stuff.

Thanks.
it all really depends on the requirements of where you are applying to. the college or university should have them posted on their website.

i tried to get into music school through 4 auditions over 2 years for guitar and still didn't get in. at that point i'd been playing for 8 years. i doesn't matter how long you've been playing, it's more of your proficency at the instrument. i didn't get rejected because i didn't know what was required, but due to competition for guitar, there were just others better than me.

i finally did get in though. took a good deal of practice.

anyway, here are the requirements for the music school i go to (it's basically the same program as Berklee music, or so they say): http://www.macewan.ca/web/pvca/ims/client/upload/Guitar%20Audition%20W06.pdf

edit: don't play stairway... or dee
Quote by jakekilgore666
christian music is sooooooooooo bad
if you love god that much, why make music that makes god want to shoot himself?
Play whatevers comfortable, majority of music colleges aren't looking for "razzle dazzle".

If you play confidently and without obvious strain you should be fine, all really depends on the quality of the other applicants for that year though. I once got into one for playing the first 3 bars of Lateralus, what a ****ing joke.

Also, don't mention rape. If you mention rape you're going to have a baaaaad time.
College courses generally require anything from Grade 5 to 8 for entry ...

Where are you taking the course, and is there a website you can link us to with the course specifics?
Quote by Craigo

Music BTECs are a waste of time anyway

That's not true!!

I had a great laugh at college
Quote by rich420
That's not true!!

I had a great laugh at college

Actually, yeah, that's very true.

Apart from that, I've known several people who were only happy to take the course for that reason and that reason only.
BTEC First Diploma will be easy.

I got onto National straight away by playing a clip from RHCP - Mellowship Slink in B Major, and playing Randy Rhoads - Dee
Quote by blue_strat
Have you had a look at BIMM, ACM, Guitar-X etc?

I'm in the North, they're in the south.
I'm taking Music Technology A Level in Cross Keys College, Wales.

Only needed 5 Grade Cs or above to join, lol.
Well I have a lot more than 5 C's, it's not that I'm worried about. I'm worried about not being able to play well enough to get on the course. Thus why I asked for suggestions for an easy acoustic thing to play.
Quote by Aramis
Well I have a lot more than 5 C's, it's not that I'm worried about. I'm worried about not being able to play well enough to get on the course. Thus why I asked for suggestions for an easy acoustic thing to play.

Try learning a piece using the rasgueado technique. That should impress them.