Hey guys. I'm holding a dinner party on Thursday, and I want some good music in the background. It's posh food I'm putting on (chicken cordon bleu), so I'd really like something as sophisticated to accompany it.

I have a few Brubeck CDs, but they seem to alternate too rapidly between gentle jazz and his more "grating" songs, i.e. Blue Rondo A La Turk. I could always just create a compilation of the gentler songs, but a friend suggested that the rapid basslines in his songs might be too much.

Any suggestions for good music to put on?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
You're a funny, funny man. I completely wasn't expecting *anyone* to come out with the opposite of what I was suggesting. Maybe I'll play some Cannibal Corpse instead ROFLCOPTER.

EDIT: Never mind, you actually beat me to it. Wow...
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Einaudi - I Giorni , Echoes

Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night , Day Trip

Phil Keaggy - Beyond Nature , Freehand: Acoustic Sketches

Some Stan Getz ...

PM me, and I can supply you with these if you don't have them.
contemporary jazz usually works maybe some urban jazz keep it light and smooth. if you have xm radio just set it to one of those stations and let it play all night
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
We're not gonna take it-twisted sister

Dress as a tranny and push people down the stairs!

Yayness in my anus!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I think some jazzamor or romance in rio cd's should suffice. Now, bloody well invite me to your dinner party.
Ha, well if you can be in Chester-le-Street by Thursday, you're welcome to come along.

Blue_strat, I'd love to take you up on your Pat Metheny offer!
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Venetian Snares - Winter in the Belly of a Snake, Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding and Doll Doll Doll

The only music for any dinner party
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Instrumental hits. Lol.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Get some Bach or something, try to sound like you know the songs you are playing (you will sound more sophisticated that way )
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
Get some Bach or something, try to sound like you know the songs you are playing (you will sound more sophisticated that way )

Yes, lying to friends to sound clever never backfires!
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Quote by TeenBite
Yes, lying to friends to sound clever never backfires!

Fine, play AFI and sound, well..
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I never said I was going to play AFI. I'm a big jazz fan: Mingus, Brubeck, etc., just I wanted some ideas from other people.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
If you have a computer playing the music, get Winamp, open Shoutcast radio, and do a search for jazz. Plenty of choice for you there my friend.

CD wise, the Ministry of Sound has recently released a 3CD compilation called Chillout 91-08. It's a good background music listen.
Play some Debussy Preludes. I have a CD called "Claude Debussy: Preludes" by Krystian Zimerman and the recordings are really excellent. I'd definietly recommend it.

Also, I think you should put on some Leonard Cohen!
classical or jazz for dinner partys, but then again it depends on who your inviting and what they like to listen to
I have eight people eating, all bar three of them degree-level Physicists, so I suppose power metal would be best ha, but I think jazz would suit it best. The Pat Metheny sounds most appropriate so far.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Nice and chilled out, quite good in the background
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by aznmetalhead93
You can't go wrong with classical music.

MMMozart.

EDIT: Or Boards of Canada or even Helios...Calming electronica =D
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.