I have been arguing with my drummer about neck thickness and type of woods for guitars and drums (in general).

1.I argued that i prefered the feel of thin necks (from wizard neck to about strat thickness) and that they dont really affect the tone that much. Is this true. assume that the guitar necks are bolt on.

2. I argued that mahogany is probably the best wood for a custom 7 string that im contemplating of making... he said that it wasnt. which wood would be the best wood for a guitar body?

3. Hes thinking about making a 7 piece kit out of 7 ply maple. I said make it out of bubinga. good or bad?

Write ur own preferences and state reasons. Dont diss the drummer about him not knowing jack about guitars. he has some pretty damn good chops + 3 bros who are awesome musicians. though im the better guitarist
Thin because i have smaller hands, mahogany, because for metal gives the nice mid bite, and drums? i dont know crap about drums, dogwood maybe?
if its an electric, your body wood wont matter, because its 99% likely you wont hear much of a difference anyways, just feel (Weight).

Thin necks do take away more tone than a thick neck, but its still not totally noticeable.
Mahogany is nice and all, but for a 7 string, it might not be the best wood. I'm quite partial to basswood, mostly because of how resonant it is.
In regards to neck thickness, I'd say there are a lot of perks to a thicker neck. For one, [perhaps its just because of the way I play] I don't get tired as quickly on a thicker neck. Another plus would be the increased stability. As for tone, more wood theoretically equals more of said wood's tone. Logic would dictate that a guitar with a thick maple neck will be brighter than the same guitar with a thinner maple neck.

In regards to Mahogany being the wood of choice for a 7-string, I source Steve Vai's "Bad Horsie". The guitar used in the original performance was made of Hard Ash due its tonal qualities when tuned low. Its not a very loud wood and its tone is scooped which gives low notes lots of definition and punch. If I were going to build a 7, it would be made of Hard Ash no doubt about it.

As for the drum kit, you're on your own, I know nothing of drums
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
The wood used in guitars is simple preference. Everybody wants different things. Your drummer is looking for a different whatever than you are. Doesnt mean his choice is somehow the better option. There are some who claim the wood used doesnt matter if that was the case then guitars would be made out of pressed wood chips. As for the neck again pure preference. Some like a thick neck some dont everybody has different hands. There is no one best way to build a guitar for all people. If there was the stores would be lined with identical shaped guitars with the only option being the color. Build what you want to build not what others would think is the best way.
Quote by Tackleberry
...There are some who claim the wood used doesnt matter if that was the case then guitars would be made out of pressed wood chips...
Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
if you used pressed woodchips, there would be no vibration, you just need a solid wood, doesnt really matter what it is... density/grain texture plays a part, but the TYPE of wood doesnt matter so much, the wood itself does. ive seen maple with bigass growth rings sound like mahogany.. ive seen mahogany with super tiny growth rings sound like maple... every piece of wood is different.
Yes every piece of wood is different, but certain woods will generally have typical characteristics. Are there exceptions and odd occurences, of course, but to go so far as to say it doesn't matter what your guitar is made out of is IMHO, kind of ridiculous.

I wouldn't tell a custom builder to pick a dark sounding piece of wood, I'd just ask for Mahogany knowing that it generally produces a darker tone.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Oak generally isnt listed as tone wood. Everything Ive seen on it is its really heavy, and its tone is very narrow. Not sure what narrow would mean maybe bright but no bottom or alot of bottom but no treble or all mids. Warmoth has a good chart for tone woods. And again if the wood type wasnt important why would guitar companies bother at all. They would just use the cheapest solid wood. Agathis and nato are used in alot of bottom end guitars and its not very popular wood.