I just thought a suggestion about an experiment to know whether a technique is on a higher level than another.

Here goes my suggested experiment's procedure:

1 - Enumerate all the techniques (e.g. sweep picking, tapping, tremolo/economy picking, etc.)

2 - Find a bunch non-players, as in absolute first-timers that never played any stringed instrument, who wants to play the guitar (I suppose that we can find a bunch of those with all these UGers)

3 - Ask the 1st-timer whether he wants to participate in this experiment (persuade them if possible)

4 - Assist one noob a certain technique different from another noob, of course, they should practice it very slowly (ex. X practices Sweep Picking and B practices Chord Fretting while C practices Economy Picking)

5 - Record the length of time required for them to successfully do the technique at a certain speed (bpm)

6 - After the noob has successfully mastered a technique, let them practice another technique

7 - If the noob has was able to master it faster than others who have tried it, then the first technique that he practiced is more advanced than the later one (e.g. X mastered Sweep Picking at 120 bpms using 8th notes within 744 hours of practice, then mastered various Chords and strumming it at 120bmps using 8th notes only within 24 hours of practice which is compared to Y who mastered various chords after 744 hours of practice, then we could say that sweep picking is more advanced than chord fretting)

Please state your suggestions on how to improve this experiment before we get started (if you think that this should be started).

So, who's in?
i may be misunderstanding... but you want to teach noobs sweep picking and trem picking right off the bat?
hmmm i played for quite a while before moving into those fields
I think it's pointless. Why waste so much time on something that doesn't matter? Omg, sweeping picking is at a higher level than strumming 8th notes... ? Yeah...

...sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssso?
^ LOL so true

besides there are no constants. someone who's played piano before may pick up on something quicker than something who hasn't and everybody has different learning curves.
Quote by domenic_665
I just thought a suggestion about an experiment to know whether a technique is on a higher level than another.

Here goes my suggested experiment's procedure:

1 - Enumerate all the techniques (e.g. sweep picking, tapping, tremolo/economy picking, etc.)

2 - Find a bunch non-players, as in absolute first-timers that never played any stringed instrument, who wants to play the guitar (I suppose that we can find a bunch of those with all these UGers)

3 - Ask the 1st-timer whether he wants to participate in this experiment (persuade them if possible)

4 - Assist one noob a certain technique different from another noob, of course, they should practice it very slowly (ex. X practices Sweep Picking and B practices Chord Fretting while C practices Economy Picking)

5 - Record the length of time required for them to successfully do the technique at a certain speed (bpm)

6 - After the noob has successfully mastered a technique, let them practice another technique

7 - If the noob has was able to master it faster than others who have tried it, then the first technique that he practiced is more advanced than the later one (e.g. X mastered Sweep Picking at 120 bpms using 8th notes within 744 hours of practice, then mastered various Chords and strumming it at 120bmps using 8th notes only within 24 hours of practice which is compared to Y who mastered various chords after 744 hours of practice, then we could say that sweep picking is more advanced than chord fretting)

Please state your suggestions on how to improve this experiment before we get started (if you think that this should be started).

So, who's in?

so what would all this accomplish?

Just play yer freaking guitar and make some damn music.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Song writing is the true bench mark... any asian kid with youtube can learn the most difficult song is a day or two and post it online... means nothing.
Quote by silentdud
... any asian kid with youtube can learn the most difficult song is a day or two and post it online... means nothing.

Sounds like someone is bitter from losing to an Asian in a guitar competition!