right, so when i play my bass i normally just run through scales, but ive got to the stage where i play most major & minor scales about 20 times backwards & forewards at varieing speed & it only takes about 20/30 minutes, so does anyone know other useful thing to learn that will help me to general increase the quality of my playing?

also, are there any tips for playing using alternate picking? because i use the same pick holding style as dave mustaine & it seems to be abit lacking in punch when i alternate pick.

thanks (y)
Well, I don't think alternate picking on bass is such a good idea.. Since bass isn't made to play with a pick...
Quote by HiyuKantaro
Well, I don't think alternate picking on bass is such a good idea.. Since bass isn't made to play with a pick...

Nonsense. Plently of great bassists play with a pick.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by HiyuKantaro

I don't think anyone had in mind to slap it with a thumb or tap the neck with your fingers either. And even if they did, why is it 'not a good idea'?

And the fingers >>>>> pick statement is just wtf?

TS I would suggest learning picking exercises that get you out of your comfort zone, whether it's long stretches or playing them up and down the neck, not just in one position. They don't have to be ones from the internet you can easily make up your own. Practice them strictly alternating your strokes.

And if you want more punch you could try changing your technique a little so it's more agressive or try using a thicker pick. Or both.
Quote by Cyanide176
Plenty do but

Fingers >>>>>>>>>>Pick

How about, STFU?

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle, but if someone finds it more natural to play with a pick, why should it be a bad thing?

And Justin Chancellor has absolutely incredible tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
On scales, I am assuming that you do straight scale runs. Try breaking them down into alternate thirds, fourths, fifths and sixths as well. Run arpeggios with your scales as well. Make sure you can nail them cleanly without breaks up and down two octaves.

And alternate picking just takes a bit of practice--make sure you aren't gripping the pick too tight.