Hey, friends.

I need your help picking an amp. As I'm looking to upgrade my Line 6 Spider III 75 watts; I bought it as a beginner amp. Now I feel like it’s time for me to move on to something better. I've been playing a little over a year now and I enjoy covering songs from led zeppelin, Metallica, Coheed & Cambria, Bullet for my Valentine, RHCP, and genre from metal, rock, pop, and alternative rock. I have a Telecaster, Jackson DKMGT, and Epiphone Les Paul standard plus. The amp will be use primarily in my bedroom, but I also want the option to use it if I was to gig with friends. I’m willing to spend up to $1000, but would like to keep it under $700. I'm looking to get something that I won’t have to upgrade again. So I’m hoping you guys can help narrow my search down on which amp to choose from.

Thanks

cliff note: pick me a cool new amp please
Last edited by Sigma-X90 at Jun 3, 2008,
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
I bought a marshall tube amp (DSL 401) for $475 from ebay. There are usually a couple on there, give it a day or two. I play the exact same stuff as you. I love coheed, rchp, and classic rock. It sounds great for all that stuff.
Get a Peavey Valveking for gigs and some 5W valve amp for your room... even 5W is way too much for room level. If you get the Peavey + the small 5W (Fender Champ, Epi Valve Jr. etc, etc.) You'll still be under the $700 mark.

You could try also an Orange Tiny Terror, with 5W when in Class A and 15W in ClassA/B, I think that one is around $500 but is just the head.
A DSL401 from eBay with a 2x12 or a 4x12 extension cabinet will give you enough power and volume to gig with, but can be used in your bedroom too.
ampeg vt-22 vintage amp one of the loudest and best tone amps you will ever play, bands from rolling stones to zztop to queens of the stone age all play this amp, its kind of a secret in the rock world i got mine for 710$
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....

please don't listen to this person.
seriously.
don't do it.

well, for a thousand, you can get an all tube 120 watt Peavey Windsor (only about $680 for the entire half stack, but it has no clean channel, you're going to have to clean up the signal with your volume knob)

or you can get the Peavey Valveking, I think it's about the same wattage, but it has more channels and is around $900 for the whole package.

but you don't actually need a half stack to gig, and if you just buy a tube combo you could always buy a cab later if you really do need one. There's this new line of amps out called "Bugera" they're really nice, and since they're new they're actually really cheap for what they should be worth.

I'm not that knowledgable about the bugera, maybe somebody that has them would be able to inform you better, but the two I put forward are solid choices too.
orange tiny terror, 1x12 cab, and ehx metal muff. will cover all your tones. might run closer to $900-1000 though, but it'd be well worth it.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
get the Randall Kirk Hammett Signature Series KH120RHS 120W 4x12 Half Stack. It's $720 it has a clean channel, a heavy channel, and one somewhere in between. It also should come with a foot switch to switch channels. It sounded good in the demo video, that might be because kirk was playing it but this is the amp i want to upgrade to from my vox ad50.

Hope this helps
Quote by jakewynnrocks

No no no no no!

The amp you are looking for is either a Peavey 5150 combo or a B-52 AT combo.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
look at the peavey valve kings. im looking into one to replace my spider 3 too.
A traynor YCV50 blue maybe? I've heard a lot of good things about it. Nice cleans, and OD
Don't listen to the dumbasses telling you to get a Solid State, look into a used JCM 800 2205 (clean and dist channel), and get a 1960s cabinet new or used.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by esp1234
A traynor YCV50 blue maybe? I've heard a lot of good things about it. Nice cleans, and OD

We have a winner!

Others to look at might be a used Mesa F-50, or a Carvin V3. Peavey JSX or XXX combo (used, again). Traynor's YCV 40 or YCS 50 are probably worth a look, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Mesa Mark IV, their discontinue so i think you can get them under 1k now. Look around....
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by slatsmania

Others to look at might be a used Mesa F-50, or a Carvin V3. Peavey JSX or XXX combo (used, again). Traynor's YCV 40 or YCS 50 are probably worth a look, too.

Yes, Yes, Yes-yes, and yes. Did you expect less from Slats? Stewart91 is right as well about a low watt practice amp for lower volumes although with the Traynor, it's probably not needed.
Quote by gregs1020
Yes, Yes, Yes-yes, and yes. Did you expect less from Slats? Stewart91 is right as well about a low watt practice amp for lower volumes although with the Traynor, it's probably not needed.

Eh, stop asskissing.

Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
orange tiny terror, 1x12 cab, and ehx metal muff. will cover all your tones. might run closer to $900-1000 though, but it'd be well worth it.

Does he really need the Metal Muff? Don't answer that. No. Even if the Metal Muff were any good, he could get all the gain he needs, either straight up or with overdrive.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Eh, stop asskissing.

Does he really need the Metal Muff? Don't answer that. No. Even if the Metal Muff were any good, he could get all the gain he needs, either straight up or with overdrive.

Asskissing, no, he was right. And yes a good OD in the effects loop is ideal. So am I now asskissing you now because you are right?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Asskissing, no, he was right. And yes a good OD in the effects loop is ideal. So am I now asskissing you now because you are right?

"Did you expect less from Slats?"

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Drop it, I'm sorry.

One thing though, the OD wouldn't be very good in the effects loop, better out in front.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Hey - thank you for saying you're sorry. Slats helped me out big time when I got my amp and I agree with his rec's. I'm looking for a 40 watt traynor because of the lack of an effects loop in my amp. (Tried the Traynor 40, loved it, just haven't found one used cheap enough for me). I tried my daddy-o in front of my amp and at drummer volume it didn't sound as good as through the loop of my bud's amp. It is all opinion and preference in the end. One mans garbage etc... No sarcasm intended if I came across as such.