Ok right I posted this in the ULTIMATE KILLSWITCH thread but I got impatient so my bad but hear me out....

Well I would like to put a toggle switch in my guitar, roughly around where the man Tom Morello has his (think it is called the lower horn?).

I do not have a pickgaurd though which makes this increasingly difficult, I just can't seem to figure out how to get the switch in without my guitar looking like it's been shot (I would have to drill loads of holes for the wires from the toogle to feed through to the volume pot etc )

This is pretty much the best looking toggle I can get locally,

and I would like to place this here:

Ignore the other crap I have circled etc, it's not relevant.

Please remember I have NO PICKGAURD so I don't want my guitar looking messy with lots of holes in .

I'm pretty sure this can be done (refrence to Morello's ATH guitar), but of course you never get to see the back of his atcual guitar, so I can't look to see what he has done, if anything to the back of his guitar etc.

I'm basically out of ideas on this one so some help would be appreiated.

Thanks UG (Y).
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
youre better putting it near your volume control etc. otherwise you have a lot of drilling and extra wire to add..which will add resistance and decrease the signal. also the drilling can affect the resonance of your guitar! so just drill a small hole behind your volume knob!
This would require routing out the back of the guitar, as well as a path for the wires to go from the lower horn to the control cavity. It'd be easier (and just as effective) to place it in the control cavity. You wouldn't have it in the spot Mr. Morello does, but it would work the same. Plus, you'd only have to drill one hole, or you could even take a pot out, and place it there.

Are you sure there are no better switches locally? Your local electronics shop (not necessarily RadioShack) should have mini SPST switches. Thats not really important though.
@Vykk Draygo: I knew I would have to use a router for the back part of the switch, I'm prepared for that but the question is how will I cover the routed part I create for the switch and how would I create the paths for the wires from the horn, to the control cavity without my guitar looking like crap?, Thanks

and I have a 'Maplin' over here but all the decent toggle's are out of stock from what I can see, there is the buckethead type switch but I play mostly RATM and I'd just much prefer a toggle.

@Entrant_21: Ok I didn't know it effected the guitar's tone to much so thanks.
For covering, I would buy a piece of plastic and cut it to shape, just like on the back of the control cavity. Just look that cavity for a reference. Should be easy to do.

As for how to route for the wires, I've never done it, so I couldn't say, sorry. I've wondered about that myself, by the way.
Quote by Vykk Draygo
For covering, I would buy a piece of plastic and cut it to shape, just like on the back of the control cavity. Just look that cavity for a reference. Should be easy to do.

As for how to route for the wires, I've never done it, so I couldn't say, sorry. I've wondered about that myself, by the way.

Thanks, that was my intial thought for covering the switch but for the wire's, I really don't know .

Apperently Morello had his ATH guitar built by Performance Guitars according to various sources on the web, and that when they built the guitar for him, he did not like it so he stripped it down, and built it again.

Therefore I now think that Performance Guitars had like already drilled the holes for the wires intended to go from the toggle switch, to the control cavity. (like the feeds/hole for the wires which go from the pickups to the control cavity when you buy any electric guitar), then Tom simply set his toogle back up. This is my theory on this anyway.

But I think I'm going to have to use my control cavity for the toggle, the back part of the switch I *THINK* would not be appropiate in size though so I might order this switch through mail order.

However I would still much prefer to place the toggle on the lower horn so if anyone has any more suggestion, tell me (Y).
Last edited by Sóul Pówer at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Sóul Pówer
Thanks, that was my intial thought for covering the switch but for the wire's, I really don't know .
No problem.

Therefore I now think that Performance Guitars had like already drilled the holes for the wires intended to go from the toggle switch, to the control cavity. (like the feeds/hole for the wires which go from the pickups to the control cavity when you buy any electric guitar), then Tom simply set his toogle back up. This is my theory on this anyway.
Sounds likely. That's what I would think, at least.

the back part of the switch I *THINK* would not be appropiate in size though so I might order this switch through mail order.
If it you are worried about size, then a mini toggle like that is perfect. I'm using one in an attenuator I built. It's tiny (I think the nut is 9mm, to give you an idea), and really easy to use.

I must say though, that unless that other switch is extremely large, then it should fit. Wouldn't hurt to pop open the cavity and do a quick check if you are worried.
When they run a wire to some place like the horn they use a long thin drill bit from one of the pickup cavities and drill to where the switch is. As for a cover you could make one form blank pickguard material. But way better off putting it where the other controls are much less work and less wire to run. There are other kinds of switches you can use. I bought a momentary off push button switch at radio shack. Its not to big, when you push it in it cuts out let it go and it springs back out.
I don't understand.

Why not just turn one pickup's volume down, the other one up and go back and forth between pick ups?
Doesnt work on a 1 volume guitar. And tends to wear out the selector switch quick. Kill switches are usually pretty cheap and you dont need to worry about what your volume knobs are set at.
Quote by Tackleberry
When they run a wire to some place like the horn they use a long thin drill bit from one of the pickup cavities and drill to where the switch is. As for a cover you could make one form blank pickguard material. But way better off putting it where the other controls are much less work and less wire to run. There are other kinds of switches you can use. I bought a momentary off push button switch at radio shack. Its not to big, when you push it in it cuts out let it go and it springs back out.

Sounds like they need one hell of a small drill body then O_o

However though, that has given me an idea.

Just create a bigger hole with the router so you can place the switch on the lower horn, the only danger I can think of with doing this is possibly ruining the wire's from the pickups to the cavity area.

Downside is it's alot of work, you would have a hole on top of the lower horn, Tone could be effected, and requires a very long drill peice.

Vykk Draygo : Thanks for all the help, think I shall get a similar switch or that exact one, just I'd like to see it in real life first so I'll look around.
Last edited by Sóul Pówer at Jun 3, 2008,
might wanna check out how the les pauls use their toggle switches for their pickups.

I know its on the wrong side, but the routing for everything would be very similar
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yes, However LP's and every other electric guitar already has the spaces for the wire's to feed through etc. I would need to create these holes myself for the wire's to run through to reach the cavity area, which is my problem.