Hy guys i'm looking into building a through body silver jet gretsch style guitar but i need templates for the body and for the headstock. Does anyone have these or know where i can get them. Also i am considering making this a thinline build with f holes on both sides. or thinline with no f-holes. It will be painted silverburst like a 78 LP custom.
so what does everyone think of a silverburst silver jet style guitar. it is going to be like jackk white's triple jet except silverburst in nitrcellulose lacquer

EDIT:

just so you know its melding this guitar's

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1323191&page=2

design with this guitar's

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/7/8/492478.jpg

paint job
Last edited by Stratmaster458 at Jun 3, 2008,
that sounds excellent man, i don't know about templates, maybe try finding a double cut jet at a guitar store and ask if you can trace it? beyond that i don't know, good luck! i'm definitely gonna keep up with this one.
me too
white stries 4 life
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
B.C. Rich warlock w/ zakk wylde bullseye
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Just got back from The Raconteurs show. it was amazing and now i am more inspired than ever to try and pull this thing off but now i considered maybe intead of a silverburst i should do it all in black but have an aluminum top. Jack White's is a copper top because his nickname is "The Copper Kid" copper is not my bag but I like the sleakness of aluminum so i am considering this as an alternative to the silverburst.
i thought you were going for copper the whole time,
which i was about ehh, but jack can rock it.
aluminum will look classsy and sleek
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
does anyone have any idea how i would make the aluminum top. I spoke with Randy Parsons (The Guy who made Jack White's) and he said he had to grind and carve it by hand but he said the rest of it was a secret. I sent him another email asking if he could send me templates for the body and headstock do you think he will send them to me. Also if i cant pull of the aluminum i'm gonna go for silver top like a gold top except silver.
well
you can put like a decal type of thing i don't remember what it's called exactly
but it's pretty neat-o
it's like holifoil i guess but wuch nicer quality
and i wanna talk to randy!
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
just email him he'll get back to you sooner or later. i'm still waiting on a second response. he could more busy with a build
for the aluminum, if you get thin enough gauged sheet you can literally just cut the shape out with shears/scissors. trace your shape, cut it a little bit larger than you need, and i bet you could use some sort of epoxy with good results to glue it down to the body and headstock. at that point either you yourself or someone you know and trust who has some experience use a grinder like randy said to grind the aluminum down to shape.

ps i'd definitely do a binding with the aluminum top, that way you can hide any imperfections on the edge of the metal. just cut your binding channel before gluing the aluminum
i don't have it.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
I'd like to make a Gretsch copy like that. I should rend one and get all the measurements and build it from sratch. Ok, maybe not the neck.
Quote by Stratmaster458
does anyone have any idea how i would make the aluminum top. I spoke with Randy Parsons (The Guy who made Jack White's) and he said he had to grind and carve it by hand but he said the rest of it was a secret. I sent him another email asking if he could send me templates for the body and headstock do you think he will send them to me. Also if i cant pull of the aluminum i'm gonna go for silver top like a gold top except silver.

No, I doubt he would.

And do you know how heavy his copper top is? He said it weighs more than the heaviest of Les Pauls, it isn't really practical IMO.
if u want that "metal" finish, go with metallic silver paint

7-10 lbs. lighter than actual metal......
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Jack's has an actual copper top so if i go in the aluminum direction the point is to make an actual aluminum top
aluminum foil on wood might work but then again it might wrinkle...idk just a suggestion to remedy weight diffuculties
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I know thats how he gets his sound. I've also considered putting a big muff on board but then again i have one.
I just got a genius idea. This goes out to anyone who owns or is willing to rent a Gretsch Double Jet . If you have access to a photocopy machine that can email PDF copies you can scan in the body profile in a 1:1 scale and post it on the web. Provided that the back of the body is flush with the surface of the photocopier. the same can be done with the head stock.
Dood im kinda in the same predicament, id give a nut for the triple jet. so im buying the gold double jet and replaceing the b5 bigsby with a b70 and changing out the pickups to filto trons. Thats the closest i can get, hell im only 17 and work at dq. HAHAHAHA
his whole guitar is copper
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
no the whole guitar is not copper otherwise the tonal qualities would suck. I emailed Randy Parsons (the guy who made) about it and he said the top is just a carved copper top the rest of it is wood.