Next week I'm going to buy a new guitar that should last the rest of my life, or at least until I get my dad's SG2000 which will be long enough. Money is a non-issue (long story) and variety will be copious, as I will be on "tin pan alley" (yes, the infamous Denmark Street in London). Now that I'm done showing off, I have a serious problem.

I want to get a hollowbody electric, since I tend to play in alot of different settings (hence needing the varying acoustic properties) and I also happen to really like the sounds that I've heard out of some of them. The thing is that I don't have the first idea what to look for. obviously I want it to sound good, but frankly my guitar buying experience is zero, and it's hard to find buyer's guides for hollowbodies.

I should probably mention that I play a variety of music between folk and punk. I don't use a pick and tend to meld chords and picking together. I play kind of like a cross between Billy Bragg and Nick Drake. except when I'm playing punk obviously.

Thanks in advance (not to be patronizing or anything)
are you thinking gretsch style bigass things or like a thinline tele?
its worth thinkin about looks before you even contemplate sound
I like something sleek and sophisticated. Obviously when I'm shopping both looks and sound are important, but I can tell what looks good on my own. What will sound good in the long run, not so much.
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
I would go with something more like a Gibson/Epi rather than a Gretsch, as its more for Setzer-type lighter distortion. If you can take the price, the Johnny A. sig model is probably the nicest, coolest-looking semi-hollow out there, as its sleek and sharp, not as wide as say a jazz box or 335. If you have less, look into Ibanez's artcore line. They have a really cool semi-hollow that looks more like a Super Strat body-wise, but still is hollow.
I have encountered a windfall and can pretty much spend whatever I want on the guitar (within reason obviously).

I'm much more interested in the slimmed down type of thing, like gotsa mentioned. What I really need to know about though is the specific elements I should be looking out for as far as sound is concerned. I might no have been entirely clear on that. thanks though
Quote by qotsa1998
I would go with something more like a Gibson/Epi rather than a Gretsch, as its more for Setzer-type lighter distortion. If you can take the price, the Johnny A. sig model is probably the nicest, coolest-looking semi-hollow out there, as its sleek and sharp, not as wide as say a jazz box or 335. If you have less, look into Ibanez's artcore line. They have a really cool semi-hollow that looks more like a Super Strat body-wise, but still is hollow.

that last model is a Setzer model so im pretty sure it can play his style pretty well
I know of a psychobilly band that uses quite a bit of distortion where that grestch hot rod sounds good aswell
USMC
I found most of what he did with the Hot Rod sounded very Jangly, sorta greaser rockish. it had a couple nice tones in it, I tend to prefer the clean, slightly mellow noises. And that thing didn't sound slike it could handle Anarchy in the Uk, but then he didn't try it either.
Quote by nintendoeats
I found most of what he did with the Hot Rod sounded very Jangly, sorta greaser rockish. it had a couple nice tones in it, I tend to prefer the clean, slightly mellow noises. And that thing didn't sound slike it could handle Anarchy in the Uk, but then he didn't try it either.

yea, you can get a lot of tones out of a grestch hollow
just depends on your amp settings and or you pedal
i know i have a semi hollow and it sounds close to that most of the time but if i hook it up to a petal I can get some mean metal/punk tones out of it,
USMC
thanks guys, I think I have a better idea of whats out there. of course, being armed with knowledge is good, so if you have any other advice feel free to let it loose.
Quote by nintendoeats
Of course, that versatility is exactly whats so appealing in a hollowbody.

you might wanna try a semi hollow body though
they have the sound of a hollow and look like one but they dont have as much feedback
hollowbodies sounds a tad bight "brighter" though
i would say try an epiphone dot,(very cheap, still has great sound and looks)
or an ibanez artcore also

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIDOT

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AF125AMB
USMC
whats the difference between a semi-hollowbody and a full hollowbody?

those are more of the bigass type, not my style. anyway, frack cheap. I'm getting a damn Jag.
a semi hollow has a solid piece of wood running down it, basically, its goes from the end of the neck, under the pickups untill it reaches the end of the guitar
its gets a darker, almost meaner tone in my opinion, so i think ud be better of with a semi hollow as youd get a darker sound for the punk, and less feedback
USMC
cool, good to know. thats the kind of thing that I'd probably pick out when trying out guitars, but I doubt I would have noticed the feedback difference in short tests.
Quote by nintendoeats
cool, good to know. thats the kind of thing that I'd probably pick out when trying out guitars, but I doubt I would have noticed the feedback difference in short tests.

yea, so if your goin to the store to try them out look out for feedback in the full hollows
my suggestions would be
get a grestch if your looking for the bright twangly sound
get an epiphone or gibson if your looking for a more modern sound
and an Ibanez if you want the best of both worlds
USMC
I don't think we get Michael Kelly's over unfortunately, it sounds like the Deuce Phoenix might be right up your street...

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/deuce_phoenix.html

could always just throw caution to the wind and import one on a whim
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com