So, see the US thread for the rules.

I've got Led Zeppelin IV up for trade.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jun 4, 2008,
Blue strat, you talking actual CD or 12" Vinyl, if its the latter I'd be interest in getting some of the Queen's English Pounds Sterling your way for it...
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Right, CDs I don't want... Don't bother taking the piss if you don't like them, I'm probably getting rid of them as I don't like them anymore either...

Marilyn Manson: Lest We Forget: The Best Of. Limited Edition CD/DVD
The Ordinary Boys: Self Titled
Rancid: Indestructable
KSE: The End Of Heartache
Joss Stone: Mind, Body and Soul

Also have a few of my bands last EP left, I know its a trade thread, but £3. If you have any of the CDs I listed and want one, I'll chuck one in free. www.myspace.com/theavarice to hear us. New CD being recorded soon too
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Eladamri
Don't be a fool, trading is legal. Jesus.

I've not really got anything though. I'll come back if I do.

dont be an asshole, its distributing music which people DONT own the rights to
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I can't see the point in trading CD's/buying second hand.

either buy new or download it.

I can understand wanting the album artwork but they're not the reasons I buy an album for.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've got Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Machina and Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins up for trade. I already own these albums so I'm looking to swap them. Let me know
This is Illegal guys if once the CD is passed on the original owner does not permanently delete the files.

Just thought i'd clear the legality of this thread up.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
This is Illegal guys if once the CD is passed on the original owner does not permanently delete the files.

Wouldn't that mean that shops which accept CD's and DVD's were working illegally? Cause I'm sure people don't delete the original files when they trade them in. Also selling cd's on eBay might be illegal under this premise.

Not trying to cause an argument here dude =]
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Wouldn't that mean that shops which accept CD's and DVD's were working illegally? Cause I'm sure people don't delete the original files when they trade them in. Also selling cd's on eBay might be illegal under this premise.

Not trying to cause an argument here dude =]

well think about it.

who'd have the illegal materials?

the one with the CD or the one with the files?

The onus is on the person selling to delete their backup files that they may have. So while some people on eBay might be selling illegally, the buyers are doing nothin wrong and the shops who accept the used disks aren't either.

I still can't see the point in second hand CDs myself. no money goes to the artist or label so you might as well just download them

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
well think about it.

who'd have the illegal materials?

the one with the CD or the one with the files?

The onus is on the person selling to delete their backup files that they may have. So while some people on eBay might be selling illegally, the buyers are doing nothin wrong and the shops who accept the used disks aren't either.

I still can't see the point in second hand CDs myself. no money goes to the artist or label so you might as well just download them

Exactly
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
what you on about u bell end. as if you can't trade an old cd! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only problem is if the person trading it has backed it up (ie copied it)
but there is nothing against trading stuff?! As if im not allowed to swop cd's with my mate?!
Quote by leftajarandy
what you on about u bell end. as if you can't trade an old cd! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only problem is if the person trading it has backed it up (ie copied it)
but there is nothing against trading stuff?! As if im not allowed to swop cd's with my mate?!

it's still pointless IMO.

one of the main reasons for buying a CD is to support an artist. buy buying used or trading you're not doing that.

you might as well download the album illegally.

Quote by element4433
swapping CDs with mates is illegal, youre distributing music and you dont own the copyright.

afaik it was illegal to put your own CDs on your iPod as your making a copy. but they updated the laws a while back
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
It is supporting the artist. just not FINANCIALLY at that point in time. I've borrowed many a cd from my friends and then gone on to see them live or buy some merchandise? If I hadn't borrowed the cd I wouldn't have generated them a penny because I wouldn't have even heard of them?

The main problem with people and the industry making all these claims about the "losses" are that alot of them were in fact never going to be "gains". half the stuff I download I will never have any intention of buying in a store because I don't know who they are or care for them enough to buy the cd so they can not count it as a "loss" they haven't lost anything by me downloading it because I was never going to buy it?

On the other hand for examle if I download the new chili peppers cd then yes that is a loss because I would usually buy that but with other artists downloading their music is just basically a "sampler". The big money is in touring now and I am an avid gig attender so any band who moans about me having downloaded their cd can **** off and i'll not go to their gigs? Yes they are losing out on the few pence they make on the cd but they make it back when I drag my mates along to see them live and buy the merchandise etc?

The cd should be a promotional tool in this modern environment. For example I recently purchased several cd/dvd (ie lamb of god and mastodon new cd) because it came with a "making of" dvd! awesomeness.
Quote by leftajarandy
It is supporting the artist. just not FINANCIALLY at that point in time. I've borrowed many a cd from my friends and then gone on to see them live or buy some merchandise? If I hadn't borrowed the cd I wouldn't have generated them a penny because I wouldn't have even heard of them?

The main problem with people and the industry making all these claims about the "losses" are that alot of them were in fact never going to be "gains". half the stuff I download I will never have any intention of buying in a store because I don't know who they are or care for them enough to buy the cd so they can not count it as a "loss" they haven't lost anything by me downloading it because I was never going to buy it?

On the other hand for examle if I download the new chili peppers cd then yes that is a loss because I would usually buy that but with other artists downloading their music is just basically a "sampler". The big money is in touring now and I am an avid gig attender so any band who moans about me having downloaded their cd can **** off and i'll not go to their gigs? Yes they are losing out on the few pence they make on the cd but they make it back when I drag my mates along to see them live and buy the merchandise etc?

The cd should be a promotional tool in this modern environment. For example I recently purchased several cd/dvd (ie lamb of god and mastodon new cd) because it came with a "making of" dvd! awesomeness.

well surely there's no difference between trading a CD and downloading it off the internet then.

so why bother trading the CD at all. I can understand if you have low hard disk space left or your connection is slow but otherwise you might as well download albums illegally.

Quote by element4433
Believe it or not, some of us prefer listening to real CDs than mp3s etc that are just not as good. This is the reason for trading CDs. Also, a couple of teenagers trading a few CDs is not a huge problem. Yes, illegal maybe, probably even. But no-one's gonna bother to deal with it.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by hairball
Believe it or not, some of us prefer listening to real CDs than mp3s etc that are just not as good. This is the reason for trading CDs. Also, a couple of teenagers trading a few CDs is not a huge problem. Yes, illegal maybe, probably even. But no-one's gonna bother to deal with it.

read the rules.

Rule #7: Do not sell illegally. I.e. no burned CDs, copies of games, downloads, hacked hardware, modded xboxes, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'd assume that this would cover trading aswell.

also, a scratched CD vs 256kbps mp3?

I know which I'd rather have.

Quote by element4433
lol nice to see the CD trade thread quickly turned in to the debate the legality of trading CD's thread
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Maybe someone would want the physical cd to add to their collection, I know I would. It's not hurting anyone if a few cds are traded between a couple of people, not as if the artist is going to miss the money is it?

It's not as if trading cds is the same as illegally downloading music, we are not looking to do it for the fact that we get the music for free, we are wanting to trade the cd once we have finished with it, maybe grown out of a particular band, and share it with someone who would enjoy it rather than just leaving it wasted in our hands.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
It's not as if trading cds is the same as illegally downloading music, we are not looking to do it for the fact that we get the music for free, we are wanting to trade the cd once we have finished with it, maybe grown out of a particular band, and share it with someone who would enjoy it rather than just leaving it wasted in our hands.

but effectively it is the same.

record label receives no revenue
artist receives no revenue
shops receive no revenue

Lost Revenue is the only logical argument against piracy and yet people see it as ok to trade CDs but not download.

Quote by Entrant_21
LETS ALL BE LAWYERZ

lol

yeah, it's not like one of the mods is an attorney or like there are several law students on UG.

because **** like that is impossible.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
but effectively it is the same.

record label receives no revenue
artist receives no revenue
shops receive no revenue

Lost Revenue is the only logical argument against piracy and yet people see it as ok to trade CDs but not download.

yeah, it's not like one of the mods is an attorney or like there are several law students on UG.

because **** like that is impossible.

Yeah I see what you mean mate, but I guess it's not harming anyone on here if we do swap a few cds. Then again if the thread is illegal or whatever then it should be closed.

I did law at college, not much to with the thread, but shows that we can have a discussion about stuff like this without it turning into a flame fest
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Rule #7: Do not sell illegally. I.e. no burned CDs, copies of games, downloads, hacked hardware, modded xboxes, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..

Note that people on here trade regular guitars, computer hardware and Xboxes without ethical or legal debate.
Quote by blue_strat
Note that people on here trade regular guitars, computer hardware and Xboxes without ethical or legal debate.

that's because there is no legal debate.

when you trade a tangible item that's it. it transfers from one person to another and the money or traded item goes the other way.

with CDs there's always the chance that the person selling still has the files on their computer.

The emphasis in that rule is "illegally". selling used items isn't illegal (as long as the item itself isn't illegal) but distibuting copyrighted materials could very well be.

And as I've been saying, the only decent argument against piracy loses its effectiveness once you enter the realm of trading CDs.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Madsalty

Don't be so stupid. Do you see CDs for sale on Ebay? yes. Isn't it pretty obvious that this would be banned if it was illegal??? Fool of a took.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

The difference is that money DID go to the artist when the CD was bought. Thus ensuring that even if your own money didn't go to them for what you bought, someone's did. As opposed to piracy where no money goes to the artist.

Sure you could give more money by buying your own copy, but personally I can't see the artists getting that upset by others selling on their CDs.

That's my opinion, anyway. Anyone else think this debate should be taken to another thread? It's quite off topic, really, either this thread is allowed or it's not. Could the mods decide please?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Just realised someone's done some necromancy on this thread, thought this was recent...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.