Anyone use it? I just sorta was doodling with it and came up with something cool but I really want the notes from the slap to sound louder and cleaner, is there a certain way to do it or does it just take time and practice.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I'll use my thumb to slap the strings to get a smack sound sometimes. It can help give the feel of a beat and give some songs a boost in the groove department.

I've never really tried to use it to actually play notes though.
Yeah i use thumb slapping notes fairly regularly. Its a bit like bass slapping except its a little harder to make the note sound cleanly in my opinion. Really useful technique for jazz progressions.

What i do is really not hold back on it and try to think of it as thumb slap followed by the note. Quick removal of the thumb after slapping usually produces a nice clean sound. Its mainly just noodling till you find it.
Last edited by country_juggler at Jun 3, 2008,
if you mean the thumb slap clicky sound then tuning down doesnt really do much. its easy enough to get it in standard tuning.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Been doing this a lot recentley...talking about playing a note with the first finger and slapping at the same time or sounding the note after the slap?
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by renegade2031
Been doing this a lot recentley...talking about playing a note with the first finger and slapping at the same time or sounding the note after the slap?

I'm talking about holding a chord then slapping your thumb against the strings to produce the sound and then I usually do a hammer on/pull off with my pinky.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.