right now im on vacation at the beach in my state and I got to sit down with a ycv40wr, ycv50 blue, and ycs50. I talked the manager of the store(which is the only one that carries traynors in my state) down on the ycv40wr to 639.99$, and so need to make a decision before I head home. I really love a good clean channel, and the 40wr had the best in my opinion. the blue had a really nice sounding distortion channel, but did not have as nice a clean,also had master volume. the ycs seemed to have more modern gain and could mimick the blue, but not get exactly the same sounds as the blue nor the clean of the 40wr.
I play mainly blues, new age, pretty much alot of cleanish stuff plus classic and hard rock, very occasionally reaching into vai, satch gain. So which one should I jump for?

ps. would it be possible to install a master volume on the 40wr?
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
for me, i love the ycs50, thats the amp im getting soon. sounds nice all around, extremely versatile, and has many new features neccesary in a modern amp.
you could install a master volume id assume, probably will be pretty difficult for the average guy to do, so take it to a amp tech and he'll take care of it.
would it also be possible to install a wattage selector on the 40wr?
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by ledroses23
would it also be possible to install a wattage selector on the 40wr?
It has an effects loop so you could just use a good od pedal. Would that NOT work for you for some reason?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
good point, I guess I would need a really good od pedal though to put in front of the 40wr, maybe a bb preamp. I really liked the ycs50 for all the features the 40wr just had a really nice clean sound and stayed full as notes were played up the neck while the ycs tapered off.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
any other comments or opinions on the amps before I make a decision, today is the last day I have to decide. I know it comes down to personal preference but its always good to have other opinions.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
The 40 is based more on Fender amps in it's class, so it's not surprising it has the better cleans. If that's what's important to you, then that would be the way to go.

There's a "volume" and "gain" on the lead channel, right? Not sure what you're looking for when requesting a master volume. The volume is, essentially, the master.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Go for the one with the master volume. Gain at practice volumes, if you want it, but you can also open the master up all the way when you have the chance to crank the amp.
thanks for clearing that up for me slats. When it comes to tube amps and the technical side I really have no clue. Ask me most anything about music theory, but I'm clueless when it comes to amps, i just know what sounds good.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
i have the 50w blue and it is the most amazing amp ever. I original had the 40w burgundy version but it broke down and i got the 50w as an exchange. The blue has a more "british" more aggressive tone, whereas the burgundy has a "country" tone more pansy, tin foil like sound. my only complaint is the distortion is as hard as i want it to be but combined with digitech distortion 7 factory it sounds really good. good quality would not trade it for anything.
thanks for the opinnions guys im either going with the 40wr or the blue ive decided, the ycs just has ice-picky highs for some reason that hurt my ears. tried dialing it out with the tone knob and it worked to some extent, but not exactly. I like a real sweet singing tone with definition, it looks like im looking for something with 6l6 type tubes.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Last edited by ledroses23 at Jun 9, 2008,
after doing some more research ive decided to throw the carvin x100b reissue amp into the pot as well. Any comments on the carvin?
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG