I have been looking around for the best overdrive pedal to run into the 'already heavy' channel of a metal tube amp ( peavey xxx and others ) to tighten it up and add more presence to the attack. I heard Killswitch uses to Maxon OD 808 for the purpose, and niether of their guitarists seem to be able to stop raving about the added tightness and clarity this drive pedal adds, not to mention the tone and sustain.

Any other suggestions? I'm not looking for some retarted thing like a Metal Master or whatever, I'm looking for a more mild drive that will tighten up an already heavy amp. Something that is transparent would be best. I've heard good things not only about the OD 808 but also things like the OCD, but I wasn't sure that particular pedal would add to the tightness of my sound, which is the primary reason I'm interested. Also sustain. So, I'm after tightness and sustain with as provided by a overdrive pedal. Budget is anything at or under $200 or so...

Please help!
Well Dev Townsend also uses the Maxon, I think it's reckoned to be good for this kind of thing.
The Maxon is basically an updated version of the Ibanez TS808. So really, a TS9/TS808 or anything like a tubescreamer would work. So i would a/b a TS808 and TS9, as the maxon and 808 are more expensive than the TS9.
i like maxon very much, i all so like the boss super overdrive sd-1, i dont like much boss but this is a great overdrive pedal
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Maxon OD808 I believe is even cheaper than the Ibanez TS808 IIRC, it's meant to be better quality too. I have no complaints, although it isn't true bypass if that bothers you.
Quote by higherworlds
i like maxon very much, i all so like the boss super overdrive sd-1, i dont like much boss but this is a great overdrive pedal

Did you like the SD-1 for the purposes I have described ( tightening up + adding sustain to a loose metal amp ) or just because it was good all around?
Maxon--->Tubescreamer modded---->Tubescreamer---->Bad Monkey

Also i prefered the bad monkey over the tubescreamer modded and un-modded but if you gigging the bad monkey wont last....
I liked the OD-9 more than the OD808....try both. And try the OCD also.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
If you're handy with a soldering iron and want a fun project try the BYOC Screamer. It's the same thing as a TS808
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Maxon--->Tubescreamer modded---->Tubescreamer---->Bad Monkey

Also i prefered the bad monkey over the tubescreamer modded and un-modded but if you gigging the bad monkey wont last....

The Bad Monkey isn't plastic, it's metal...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you're handy with a soldering iron and want a fun project try the BYOC Screamer. It's the same thing as a TS808

Or, for that matter, try their version of the Pro Co RAT. Three of the switching settings cut out the distortion elements and lets it run solely as an overdrive.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Bad Monkey isn't plastic, it's metal...

Build quality is build quality... I've had two digitechs that went bad on me right at the start, one other one lasted a few weeks. And if your gigging you really dont want a pedal to just stop working on ya... Metal casings have nothing to do with it...