I'm pretty new to doing scales and all that. I always just played, but now I'm getting into theory more and am learning scales.

I keep hearing about the 5 (i think) patterns for scales. Anyone have a link to an article about this, I've searched and havent found anything.

Thanks
Quote by Dm1027
I'm pretty new to doing scales and all that. I always just played, but now I'm getting into theory more and am learning scales.

I keep hearing about the 5 (i think) patterns for scales. Anyone have a link to an article about this, I've searched and havent found anything.

Thanks

Here ya go:

Major & minor scale in 5 patterns
I don't get one thing about these things...How come you dont actually start on the root in the major scale? i mean, it says the root is a G but you start on an F#!? wheres the sense in that?!
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Quote by Dm1027
Exactly what I wanted, thanks a ton.

No problem, glad to help

Quote by edgespear
I don't get one thing about these things...How come you dont actually start on the root in the major scale? i mean, it says the root is a G but you start on an F#!? wheres the sense in that?!

you don't start on F#, you start on the root note (which is colored blue here).

The patterns represent all the notes within a particular position. So if your soloing in G Major, all of the notes in that position are available to you. If you're just playing the scale though, you would start on the root and should be aware of where it is in the pattern.

does that make sense to you now ???
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
No problem, glad to help

you don't start on F#, you start on the root note (which is colored blue here).

The patterns represent all the notes within a particular position. So if your soloing in G Major, all of the notes in that position are available to you. If you're just playing the scale though, you would start on the root and should be aware of where it is in the pattern.

does that make sense to you now ???

Okay yeah i think i geddit. Thanks
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
First, I wouldn't suggest using the guitar to learn the basic scale formation, so when you try other scales you can figure out the notes mentally, etc....

Basicly, scales are a determined succesion of notes....
Now, I guess you know what notes and succesion of notes are...

You should learn first the major scale, the relative minor, and mother scales...
Learn tetrachords, which means how scales are formed (use standard notation), in which the second group of 4 grades of a scale is "transported" as being the first group and the scale is formed etc, filling the tones and semitones and the proper alterations....

After you learn how the scales are formed, learn the method to remember them quickly (like knowing quickly which alterations are in A#minor)...
After doing that with major scales, you can continue exactly like that for minor scales, minor harmonic, melodic minor, artificial scale (don't know the name in english), and hell even with modes....

If you want to learn other scales however (apart from whole-tone, chromatic, etc), like the ones more exotic, I don't think the tetrachord system would apply, since it was made by the greeks, and not all scales were made by greeks....
Can't a chromatic scale, technically speaking, use every fret on the fret board XD?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Quote by edgespear
Can't a chromatic scale, technically speaking, use every fret on the fret board XD?

Well, kind of, unless it is another scale that depends on chromatism and not diatonic....
Like gypsy scale, spanish 8 tone (can't remember name), etc....