All right UGers, I have a sanded down Squire strat, what I wanna do is stain it. But I wanna know some things about Pups. I wanna do a random combination of a P-90, a humbucker, and a single coil, yet I want that mellow tone and that loud, rocking sound to still be there. That wide variety. I just want you guys to help me out with the configuration, brands of pick ups, etc.... Thanks.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
All right UGers, I have a sanded down Squire strat, what I wanna do is stain it. But I wanna know some things about Pups. I wanna do a random combination of a P-90, a humbucker, and a single coil, yet I want that mellow tone and that loud, rocking sound to still be there. That wide variety. I just want you guys to help me out with the configuration, brands of pick ups, etc.... Thanks.

DP189 TONE S http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ is a gudden
did your squire have an acrylic coating on it coz i want to get rid and stain my guitar but i dunno how
Yeah, just sand the entire thing down. I'm gonna stain it soon. On the sides, use sanding sponges from Lowes. also at Lowes, they have these clear cards which you hold up to the wood to see if it looks good, use those.

So, does anyone know if Carvin pickups woud be good? I played 'em once and they were incredible.

▲ ▲

Phat Cats or P-rails for p90 sounds in the neck. Invader for bridge.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I'm not looking for anything to expensive, for a single pickup, my limit stops around $40-$50. I'm looking for good alternatives to the insanely expensive stuff.

▲ ▲

^Try the GFS stuff then since the cheapest is around 30 for just one pick-up I believe.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Jun 3, 2008,
For that cheap I think your only option is something like guitar fetish - they don't sell p-90's as far as I know.
well, $40-50 wont even get u GFS. $20 for the cheapest humbucker, $33 for the P-90, $17 for the single. $70.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Wakisazhi

Hey, thanks. I had no idea

I think either I'm missing something or everyone else is - didn't he say
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
for a single pickup, my limit stops around $40-$50

Unless I misunderstood he's willing to spend 40-50 per pickup? He can get some gfs stuff for that.
Per pickup, yes, thanks for pointing that out, didn't realize people misinterpreted that. (That wasn't supposed to be sarcastic, it just came out that way)

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

IMO for placement.. Humbucker in the bridge, single in the middle, P90 in the neck.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
The guitar fetish website was really helpful, I like the looks of the mini birds (Humbuckers), Alnico P-90s, and a single Alnico strat pickup. Would those give me the wide variety of tone and mellow/rock I'm looking for? Thanks.

▲ ▲

Well as I understand it it'd be a bit of a gamble. Manufacturers usually balance their pickups in thought out combinations, or sell them in sets, for a reason. But there's no reason it can't sound bad, try it if you want, could be ****ing sweet. The GFS pickups are cheap enough not to be too fussed if you have to replace one of them.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^ *reported*
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
For balance, I would go for a humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the middle and single coil in the neck, as you get more output and bass in the neck position than in the bridge so it balances out and you don't get a huge output drop between pickups.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
...I wanna do a random combination of a P-90, a humbucker, and a single coil, yet I want that mellow tone and that loud, rocking sound to still be there...
You could try two of these with a pair of 3-way switches to tap the front coil, back coil or both in series...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/prails_shpr1/
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by MrCarrot
For balance, I would go for a humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the middle and single coil in the neck, as you get more output and bass in the neck position than in the bridge so it balances out and you don't get a huge output drop between pickups.

I was thinking the same thing.

Given that you are already modding this guitar quite a bit I wouldn't get a P-rail. It's good pickup for people looking for something that can do all 3 types of pickups, but it doesn't sound like a real P-90, single, or humbucker. Because you have the option of using the real thing, you might as well.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by UnresolvdMurder
^ *reported*

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

How exactly is my post any of those?

If anything YOUR post is the one that counts as spam. If you're going to report someone just report them theres no need to post "reported". I don't know what the hell is with the UG trend of posting *reported* BS, it has no benefit.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

How exactly is my post any of those?

If anything YOUR post is the one that counts as spam. If you're going to report someone just report them theres no need to post "reported". I don't know what the hell is with the UG trend of posting *reported* BS, it has no benefit.
He was reporting an advertising post, looks like the mods have removed it now.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
He was reporting an advertising post, looks like the mods have removed it now.

Oh.

( )

/e: Still, my point stands. No need to post reported. If he hadn't I wouldn't have derailed the thread in my confusion.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^*Reported*

No, not really.

Anyways, I'm looking at a P-90 in the bridge, a single coil in the mid, and possibly a tele bridge PUP or a mello humbucker for the bridge.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
...Anyways, I'm looking at a P-90 in the bridge, a single coil in the mid, and possibly a tele bridge PUP or a mello humbucker for the bridge.
*cough*
Quote by jm1681
*cough*

我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
The only problem with those^, is the price. On Ebay they run from $90-$180, and I just don't have the money right now. I might save up and put that in there, and then run a three way switch from it. 'Cause that would sound awesome.

▲ ▲

I thought they'd be expensive but not that expensive. I just looked around and $90 sounds like the norm.

Oh, found this too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhJXcSVnfs
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I dug it
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头