i got my guitar yesterday and i want to tune, except I'm having a little trouble. I have a reference pitch for E and I got it to match. But then when I try to tune my 5th string to A, I can't. I think its fifth fret of the E is supposed to be the sound the 5th string is supposed to make, but i can't get it right, can anyone help?
you might just want to go buy a cheap tuner.

but if you want to keep doing it like this:

5th string - > 5th fret of 6th string
4th string - > 5th fret of 5th string
3rd string - > 5th fret of 4th string
2nd string - > 4th fret of 3rd string
1st string - > 5th fret of 2nd string

im pretty sure thats right but it was all from memory.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
umm i just randomly turn them and it seems to work out in perfect standard tuning. But the guy above it correct.
download mini tuner, and use a microphone. it listens to ur guitar, and tells u which way to turn!
are those tunings with an amplifier? I'm trying to tune without one.
You need to get yourself a tuner
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i just use an online one and tune it while listening to the sound for the computer
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Quote by gebgebgeb
you might just want to go buy a cheap tuner.

but if you want to keep doing it like this:

5th string - > 5th fret of 6th string
4th string - > 5th fret of 5th string
3rd string - > 5th fret of 4th string
2nd string - > 4th fret of 3rd string
1st string - > 5th fret of 2nd string

im pretty sure thats right but it was all from memory.

that is right and in my opinion you should try and get used to tuning this way.. tuning by ear does take some getting used, i still find the high pitches hard to get exactly right, but i think i'm partially deaf... so yeah just keep trying, you'll find it in the end..

quick tip.. let both notes ring together, you'll know when you're in tune because the notes won't sound like they're crashing together.. i only say this because when i first started tuning by ear i used to only play the lower string briefly instead of letting the note ring for a few seconds..

sorry if this is a bit basic..
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

The above method is good. Tuning is not easy when you first start playing guitar, but you'll get better at it over time. Just keep doing it.

Also, although I've never owned a tuner, it wouldn't hurt to buy one.
Ok, I'm playing without an amplifier and I cannot tune the E to some of the websites settings. They sound way too low to be able to do without an amp. Do I need one to tune my guitar?
Quote by leftman
Ok, I'm playing without an amplifier and I cannot tune the E to some of the websites settings. They sound way too low to be able to do without an amp. Do I need one to tune my guitar?

i dont
i just play them both at the same time untill i cant really distnguish the two, where the sounds blen together
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Do you know anyone that plays guitar? They should be able to show you and demonstrate how it would sound.
Quote by scflyer55
Do you know anyone that plays guitar? They should be able to show you and demonstrate how it would sound.

The thing is, I do know people, but not close enough to get them over my house and tune my guitar. And I'm definitely not bringing my guitar to school. Although I can go to Guitar Center and I'm sure they'll have no problems helping me (as long as I buy something), but I think I'm just gonna break down and buy an electric tuner. That way I'll get it in tune and hear how they should sound.
Quote by bloke
that is right and in my opinion you should try and get used to tuning this way.. tuning by ear does take some getting used, i still find the high pitches hard to get exactly right, but i think i'm partially deaf... so yeah just keep trying, you'll find it in the end..

quick tip.. let both notes ring together, you'll know when you're in tune because the notes won't sound like they're crashing together.. i only say this because when i first started tuning by ear i used to only play the lower string briefly instead of letting the note ring for a few seconds..

sorry if this is a bit basic..

This is a good way to tune if you''re used to listening to the waves. If you're out of tune the quicker the waves will be and the closer you get, the waves will slow down. You could also hit one note a few times then the open string a few times to find out if the open string is lower or higher so you can adjust.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls