I just wondered, I prefer using economy picking but will I ever have to use alternate picking?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
*reported*
sorry mate, no vs threads
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Depends on your music you play....
If you play metal then yes....
If you play rock and that stuff not so much....
If you rap then you don't need a guitar
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
honestly, i think economy picking is better, but shouldnt you alternate pick when playing a fast riff on one string?
its really all a matter of preference.
My guitar teacher, one of the best guitarists in the state, shreds with alternate picking, he says he likes the percussiveness of it. I play using economy picking though.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
alternate picking would be faster than economy. i use alternate picking for solos but for palm muted chords, it's all downstrokes from there.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
reported*
sorry mate, no vs threads

Its not technically a vs thread, Im not comparing the two, just asking if I will actually have to use alternate picking.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Jun 4, 2008,
I think it is better to master Alternate first, after you mastered it (Which is not so easy) you can move on and try economy, if you like it.

I play alternate most of the time, easier for me.
Quote by turtlewax
Its not technically a vs thread, Im not comparing the two, just asking if I will actually have to use alternate picking.

Dude, you just replied to a computer program not a human, the program just found the 'VS' and automatically posted a *reported* comment based on the fact that there is a 'VS' involved which is what computers do. So basically what this computer doesn't understand is that the VS threads that should not be created are the ones that compare between people or objects that have intrinsic and/or extrinsic value.

Back to topic, I recommend you try both, like pick a song with a considerable amount of lead work and play it both ways, then see which technique you are comfortable with but you have to be able to at least play alternate on an intermediate level to begin with.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Last edited by breakstuff at Jun 4, 2008,
So about alternate picking........ you still alternate the picking when you go up or down a string?
i honestly don't think about it.

I can do both to a decent level. if I actually think about it I can play most things purely alt. if i think about it I can do things purely econ.

I'm not too sure what I do when not thinking about it though.

you really should be able to do both though.

Quote by MPM12
So about alternate picking........ you still alternate the picking when you go up or down a string?

yep.

it's a strict up,down,up,down,up,down etc (or vice versa) motion regardless of what else you do.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jun 4, 2008,
Just cause I naturally prefer picking a string down if im on the top side of it, and up if im on the bottom side.
I use both, it depends on what you are doing, if you are playing a really fast single note riff that covers one string or two adjacent strings alternate is the way to go, if you are playing a passage that involves string skipping and occasional sweeping then it's better to use hybrid picking.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I only economy pick really fast arpeggios (sweep picking), if it's at a slower pace I string skip/alt pick it.

At anything else I alt. pick, except sometimes with chords, or riffing, I might downpick or uppick only.

I started out doing economy picking, but went to alternative picking, because I think it gives me better control and timing.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
i prefer economy picking.

i cant seem to wrap my head around the idea of alternate picking something like glasgow kiss.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
If you look at the logistics of playing anything other than 1 note-per-string shapes you have to use alternate picking at some point.

Try playing any 2 note per string or 4 note per string ideas with economy picking and you'll see my point; you have to be able to alternate pick.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Alternate picking is a basic guitar skill and should not be bypassed! When I first started many years ago, I lazily passed on learning this and regretted it as I watched others pass me in playing speed and accuracey. (Alternate picking is good for 2-3 note chords as well) When I stopped playing for many years and took it up again, it gave me the chance to "unlearn" some bad habits and pick up new skills.
I can alternate pick fine, but when I change strings, I think I use whatever's most economic. Honestly my hand is moving too fast for me too really tell what I'm doing when I change strings. People think about this stuff too much.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I use both, it depends on what you are doing, if you are playing a really fast single note riff that covers one string or two adjacent strings alternate is the way to go, if you are playing a passage that involves string skipping and occasional sweeping then it's better to use hybrid picking.

Unless I'm calling it the wrong thing, hybrid picking is something completely different. It's where you use a pick, but fingerpick with your other fingers at the same time.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I usually do a strange mix of both when playing the main riff to "Black Dog".
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Pro efficient at economy picking but alternate picking is hard if you do it RIGHT.
I have trouble switching from string to string alternating, it just seems easier to sweep down using econ into another string instead of having a fixed down stroke or upstroke
unless its a chord i find it extremely hard to downpick notes.
i learned how to a. pick about 3 minutes after i learned to pick so its been with me ever since i started and i unconsciously mix economy picking and alternate picking.