A while ago, I reinstalled windows XP onto a different partition of our older PC's (we have two) harddrive. Before that it was running extremely slowly and I'd that heard that reinstalling the operating system can be a solution.

So after I installed it, it ran really well, much quicker and smoother than before. However, it also had a weird side effect where the display went a bit funny and the colours were very pixelated. We eventually had to get someone out to fix it and it even took them a while to figure out what was wrong and how to get it back to normal. Also, where we previously had the standard blue sign-in screen with everyone's usernames on it, we now had a single box on black background in which we had to type our username and password. While this isn't a huge problem, it would be nice to have the original, more modern sign-in screen back.

Now, as our newer computer has also begun to run extremely slowly, I'm considering doing the same as before and reinstalling the OS. However, I'm somewhat reluctant because of the problems it caused before. Is it very likely that the same things will happen, mainly the weird colour thing?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to get that blue sign-in screen back on my original computer as well.

Sorry for all the explanation and thanks in advance for your help.
That's probably because you didn't install the graphic card drivers.

The slowness is due to lack of memory and processing power. It's also due to an increasing cache of adware that slows your OS down. You should learn some basics on computer OS and hardware and you'll know what to do/not to do next time.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
XP? If so then:

Start > Run > msconfig

There is a checkbox near the bottom that says "Load Startup Items." Uncheck this. What this does is not load up any unneccessary programs when you start your computer. After this you should be sure to open up any Anti-Virus software/firewalls and what not since most protection programs, when opened, start up automatically the next time you turn on your computer.

It should be running smoothly b/c most people don't wait for their computer to load up completely. They just say "Oh, I see the start menu. I'll open up IE, WMP and all my P2P programs."

edited
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
get an IT Johnny to get on with it
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
get an IT Johnny to get on with it

That's like paying a guitar store clerk $50 to change a string for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Oh, and after re-installing the OS (i'm assuming your new computer is Vista/XP) be sure to download the sound and graphic drivers from the manufactuer's website.

As for the sign in screen problem you should search somewhere in the Control Panel under User Accounts. I can't be specific right now b/c I'm using a very limited public computer.

Quote by uk.mace
to change the log in thingy go to: control panel > users and then something like 'change the way you log in'.

yea...
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by uk.mace
to change the log in thingy go to: control panel > users and then something like 'change the way you log in'.

OK, I tried that but it said a program called RtlGina2.dll is restricting the use of the welcome screen and that I need to uninstall it for it to work. Any idea what program that could be and how I uninstall it?

EDIT: I know how to uninstall programs through the control panel but I don't know how to identify the program if I don't know the actual name.
For the .dll problem, download this file and then reboot after the repair:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

^Note - if your PC messes up, I'm not responsible.

As for the pixles, that's a graphics driver issue, re-installing the OS removes the drivers, so just re-install them.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by pl0x
Im having graphic card problems..

Make your own thread or PM me, I'll try to help.

Note: If you PM me it'll be at least 24 hours until I can respond - exams tomorrow
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger