where can i find a list and tabs of all the different kinds of shapes and stuff for 3 string and 5 string sweeps? i only know 1 major and 1 minor at the moment, and want to learn more! please help, and thanks in advance
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
tumeni notes - steve moorse
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
learn you theory and figure out all the arpeggio shapes yourself

its more fun and useful in the long run

ooh but look up diminished ones for the moment
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
learn you theory and figure out all the arpeggio shapes yourself

its more fun and useful in the long run

ooh but look up diminished ones for the moment

thats what annoys me. ive done grade 5 piano theory and im on grade 8 practical piano lol. but i still cant figure out teh arpeggios for guitar.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
thats what annoys me. ive done grade 5 piano theory and im on grade 8 practical piano lol. but i still cant figure out teh arpeggios for guitar.

Then you're an idiot. Seriously; learn the notes of the fretboard, it'll open up your playing no end.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Then you're an idiot. Seriously; learn the notes of the fretboard, it'll open up your playing no end.

you'll never get people to jam with talking like that. i know the notes of the fret board, but ive never bothered with scales. ive passed all my exams except grade 7 with pieces mainly. but i will try and learn.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/arpeggio.php

will that help with the scales?

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Hoodoo Child
you'll never get people to jam with talking like that. i know the notes of the fret board, but ive never bothered with scales. ive passed all my exams except grade 7 with pieces mainly. but i will try and learn.

I'm confused. What exactly do you need help with here? You say you know the fretboard, and you know some theory. If this is true, then you should know what notes are in the arpeggios you're looking for, and you should know where they are on the guitar.
Quote by icronic
I'm confused. What exactly do you need help with here? You say you know the fretboard, and you know some theory. If this is true, then you should know what notes are in the arpeggios you're looking for, and you should know where they are on the guitar.

yeah but all i know is like basic stuff. i have no idea about diminished scales and all that crap. its like 2 years since i did any theory at all. and thanks for the swept arpeggios for dummies link edg.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child

You don't have to know scales. If you know the fretboard, there's no way you could possibly not be able to construct sweep shapes; they are arpeggios. You don't sweep pick scales. Just build a simple major or minor triad to start out with, pick a root on the string you want to begin on and locate the notes of the triad on close frets using the other strings.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

That was a little harsh. Take your own voice and open up your mind. He's not an idiot; perhaps he's just having a bit of trouble seeing things from a guitar point of view.

TS - Just keep in mind the 1,3,5 of each scale of each scale and realize that generally you will play one note per string (depending on which string - the bass E and treble E strings are easy and convenient to play two notes on), so construct your fingering into chord-like positions. Try starting from the bass E string, and then try starting from the A string. Try starting on your index finger, then try starting on your pinky. Just switch things around and use your basic knowledge of chords.
Quote by fixationdarknes
That was a little harsh. Take your own voice and open up your mind. He's not an idiot; perhaps he's just having a bit of trouble seeing things from a guitar point of view.

Oh please, that was before I even knew he already knows the fretboard notes, seeing as how he knows the fretboard and theory he really shouldn't be asking this at all; constructing triads is hardly rocket science.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Oh please, that was before I even knew he already knows the fretboard notes, seeing as how he knows the fretboard and theory he really shouldn't be asking this at all; constructing triads is hardly rocket science.

No one's arguing that constructing triads is rocket science. Simply the fact that you haven't been of any use in this thread, so why even bother posting if only to claim that the TS is an idiot?
Quote by fixationdarknes

TS - Just keep in mind the 1,3,5 of each scale of each scale and realize that generally you will play one note per string (depending on which string - the bass E and treble E strings are easy and convenient to play two notes on), so construct your fingering into chord-like positions. Try starting from the bass E string, and then try starting from the A string. Try starting on your index finger, then try starting on your pinky. Just switch things around and use your basic knowledge of chords.

The best way to view it is to look at interval maps for different chords flat out and just try soloing over that chord using that interval map and some scales that coincide with it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Of course because you are an amazing guitarist... everyone look at this tool bags profile lol.
Quote by silentdud
Of course because you are an amazing guitarist... everyone look at this tool bags profile lol.

Firstly at least I know how to use the edit button and secondly I'm not the one who claims to know the notes of the fretboard and have a decent knowledge of theory and yet somehow can't construct my own arpeggios, I'm also not the one who can't type "guitar arpeggios" into google and click the first link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=guitar+arpeggios&btnG=Google+Search

and the very first page:

http://www.cyberfret.com/arpeggios/index.php

Please do look at my profile, criticism is appreciated.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Firstly at least I know how to use the edit button and secondly I'm not the one who claims to know the notes of the fretboard and have a decent knowledge of theory and yet somehow can't construct my own arpeggios, I'm also not the one who can't type "guitar arpeggios" into google and click the first link:

and the very first page:

yeah. PIANO theory. yeah i know its the same notes, but come on. gimme a break. ty for teh "not idiot" posts btw other people and i cant be bothered to waste a few minutes of my life looking at your profile.

but thankyou for teh website, it is very helpful. why couldnt you give me that in the first place?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

and the very first page:

My point is don't talk trash to him unless you are Eddy Van Halen and you can back it up.
Quote by silentdud
My point is don't talk trash to him unless you are Eddy Van Halen and you can back it up.

Do you mean Eddie Van Halen?
And EVH, isn't exactly the pinnacle of musical theory and technique.
whats this, the spelling and grammar society?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Orbit91
Do you mean Eddie Van Halen?
And EVH, isn't exactly the pinnacle of musical theory and technique.

this is true haha.
Quote by Orbit91
Still, he's pretty good, and innovative.

I believe that the lessons to learn from eddy vanhalen are not in theory, but in practice... His contributions to techinique and tapping are outstanding.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
yeah. PIANO theory. yeah i know its the same notes, but come on. gimme a break. ty for teh "not idiot" posts btw other people and i cant be bothered to waste a few minutes of my life looking at your profile.

but thankyou for teh website, it is very helpful. why couldnt you give me that in the first place?

Theory is theory; all the notes work the same way and arpeggios don't change just because it's on a guitar, if you know theory and you know the fretboard you should be able to figure out what notes you should be playing and practice on your own, otherwise you'll only ever be able to regurgitate other people's licks.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is theory; all the notes work the same way and arpeggios don't change just because it's on a guitar, if you know theory and you know the fretboard you should be able to figure out what notes you should be playing and practice on your own, otherwise you'll only ever be able to regurgitate other people's licks.

I wish I could regurgitate some guitarists licks -- like ****in Andy Mckee.
i dont want other peoples licks. i want my own.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i dont want other peoples licks. i want my own.

Me too. I just think that if you learn how they construct your music you can tame yourself a bit with your phrasing... studying other peoples music is extremely useful if I learned anything from working at a production company.

You need to look at every single song and pull it appart and be like " know exactly what he or she is doing." But I digress greatly from the topic....
lol the digress is perfectly ok the only thing im learning sweeps for really is to do a7x solos lol.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
lol the digress is perfectly ok the only thing im learning sweeps for really is to do a7x solos lol.

Well then look up the tabs for the solos you want but if you want originality you should learn how it all works as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Ok do not listen to someone who is asking you to memorise your fretboard because that is a retarded idea
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
Quote by josemontero
Ok do not listen to someone who is asking you to memorise your fretboard because that is a retarded idea

How is knowing where each note is on the fretboard a retarded idea? It gives you a lot more control over your playing, especially when improvising.
Quote by fixationdarknes
How is knowing where each note is on the fretboard a retarded idea? It gives you a lot more control over your playing, especially when improvising.

extreme tangent, but fixationdarkness...your alexi guitar is amazing

Quote by cornmancer