Now that I ( almost ) have my new guitar it's time to start looking for a new amp.

As for as solid states go would about a 100 watt head be suitable for a decent sized gig? Or should I go for a lower end tube amp ( Valveking ). I'm probably not going to have $1000 to spend... more like 800 at the most. I'm probably going to use an overdrive pedal too.

I'm not sure if this is a proper analogy but is comparing a solid state amp to a tube amp like comparing a 4 stroke dirtbike to a 2 stroke? ( Some people might not get this. )
Last edited by Seef at Jun 3, 2008,
Do you already have a cab? I ask because you mention heads specifically, I think with 800-1000 dollars you could get a good amp for gigging but what do you mean 'decent sized' like how many people or what area? Gym? Club? Stadium?

There are advantages to both solid states and tubes - do you have any specific ss that you were looking at? I think 100 watts would be enough but you would hate to get a bad amp, the valvekings are good but I think you can do better for your price.

What styles of music will you be playing?

edit: Most people will say the overdrive sounds better on an all tube amp, depends on how you use it I suppose.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by guitar/bass76
Do you already have a cab? I ask because you mention heads specifically, I think with 800-1000 dollars you could get a good amp for gigging but what do you mean 'decent sized' like how many people or what area? Gym? Club? Stadium?

There are advantages to both solid states and tubes - do you have any specific ss that you were looking at? I think 100 watts would be enough but you would hate to get a bad amp, the valvekings are good but I think you can do better for your price.

What styles of music will you be playing?

edit: Most people will say the overdrive sounds better on an all tube amp, depends on how you use it I suppose.

Don't already have a cab but I'm not as concerned about picking out the right cab just yet. I'm guessing we'd be playing about club sized venues but I might want something a bit bigger just in case.

I was looking at some Randalls or Crates that are about 600ish.

I'll probably playing heavier stuff at gigs.