So I got in a debate with a non-musician friend the other day. I was looking into buying a guitar and she was stunned that you don't get a new one fresh from the back instead of buying the "demo" model on display. She was equally shocked when I bought an amp off the floor instead of getting a new boxed one as well.

I tried to explain that it's like buying a brand new car, other people may have test driven it, but it's still brand new. I also explained that music stores typically don't have a lot of other inventory than what's on the floor--especially the smaller ones, and especially for guitars.

So I got to thinking, is this normal for amps and guitars? For guitars it makes sense that you buy the one you play, but for amps, do you just take the one on the floor or do you get a new one? Her biggest argument was how was it fair that someone who wants something that the store doesn't have in stock gets it ordered in brand new but if they have it you get the one on display. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm just crazy?
If I play the floor guitar and decide to buy the model, I'll ask to take the floor guitar - all guitars differ, even two of the exact same model. Another might have problems with it, that I haven't had time to check out - unlike the one I've been using in the shop. If it's been scratched on the floor, or damaged, I'll ask for a price cut, which can work.

I would usually ask for a stock amp as opposed to the floor model, as they're all the same, and there might be non-apparent internal damage. You never know if a retard plugged a bass into a guitar amp on the floor, for example.
Quote by Mazzakazza
If I play the floor guitar and decide to buy the model, I'll ask to take the floor guitar - all guitars differ, even two of the exact same model. Another might have problems with it, that I haven't had time to check out - unlike the one I've been using in the shop. If it's been scratched on the floor, or damaged, I'll ask for a price cut, which can work.

I would usually ask for a stock amp as opposed to the floor model, as they're all the same, and there might be non-apparent internal damage. You never know if a retard plugged a bass into a guitar amp on the floor, for example.

Right, that's exactly along the lines that I was thinking. I bought the floor model amp because it was the only one they had and it looked branded new and the shop is pretty quiet and it was close to the front desk so I'm sure it hadn't been abused at all.

I'm looking at buying a new Strat and there are 2 Fender dealers in town. One has the EXACT one I want, color, fretboard, etc. It plays good but has some marring and the plastic is shaved/peeling in the little spot where you put the allen key to adjust the neck, plus there is some white plastic showing through the black plastic. I know it may seem petty, but it is brand new and I know it's going to annoy me for whatever reason. Plus, it leads me to believe that the neck has been adjust or something and someone was careful with the allen key and shaved the plastic.

So I opted not to buy it. Now the dillemma is, that shop isn't likely going to order me in a new guitar that is identical to one they already have for something so petty, are they? So my alternative is to go to the other shop that doesn't have that exact guitar and get them to order it in. Tough call, because I hate the other shop :S Hope it doesn't seem petty, but to me it should look brand new in every way.
Tell them about the problem and ask for a price cut, perhaps? I would, it's worth a shot. No need to yell and make a fuss, just point it out to the attendant, and suggest that you want the floor model, but offer a little less. I don't know how much the guitar is, but a cut of around 4-5% might be considered fair.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Tell them about the problem and ask for a price cut, perhaps? I would, it's worth a shot. No need to yell and make a fuss, just point it out to the attendant, and suggest that you want the floor model, but offer a little less. I don't know how much the guitar is, but a cut of around 4-5% might be considered fair.

Haha, shoot, I was going to yell and fuss! :P
Well, that is an alternative plan. Get yo'self a heater, hold the attendant at gunpoint, and be all like, "You better gimme dis **** fo' free y'all, or i make a hole in yo' head, bitch."

That might not be sensible though :P
yeah, i was offered the same thing, better to buy what you know is good
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Yeah, I could take a small discount I suppose. I am less concerned about the marring of the plastic than I am with the idea the neck has been adjusted. I get that it's no big deal, but it is a brand new guitar, so I'm a little hesitant. Plus, I'm slightly attracted to the idea that I could just get a brand new one ordered.

On a side note, do MIM Strats usually come with so much bridge lift? I've never noticed it before but this guitar is lifted. Should it be like that?
Quote by babyboo666
^
Did you set up the guitar?

Barely any guitars come set up.

Oh sorry, I created a thread called "Bridge lift" because I didn't think anyone was going to answer it here because it had nothing to do with the title.

Nope, I didn't set it up because I haven't bought it. It was that way at the shop when I played it.
Gimme a chicken sandwich and waffle fries... fo free!
Back to the topic, I bought my Vox Valvetronix off the floor. It was the last 30W they had left and I got a discount because the tolex was scratched.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Gimme a chicken sandwich and waffle fries... fo free!
Back to the topic, I bought my Vox Valvetronix off the floor. It was the last 30W they had left and I got a discount because the tolex was scratched.

Ha, I was also talking about my AD30VT which I bought off the floor! Haha.

Mmm, chicken sandwich.

Anyways, I'm sorry, what's the "tolex"?
It's the fake leatherish covering on the amp. There's a slight rip in it.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Oh okay, makes sense. Yeah, mine was brand new and still had the manual and that paper reference sheet thing across the top, so I think I was fine.
Well mine was brand new and had the amp guide too. Someone probably dropped something on it at the store. It's no big deal and I got $30 off.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
I like to take the guitar I play. If I go into a shop and I love the way the floor model plays, I will take the floor model, because you never know how the one in the box is going to play.
I prefer used gear anyway.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Well mine was brand new and had the amp guide too. Someone probably dropped something on it at the store. It's no big deal and I got $30 off.

That's great. You're only going to get more scratches and whatnot anyways.
Quote by acdc101
I like to take the guitar I play. If I go into a shop and I love the way the floor model plays, I will take the floor model, because you never know how the one in the box is going to play.
I prefer used gear anyway.

Yeah, I agree with that. But honestly, I had the time of my life trying to convince someone who had no experience buying a musical instrument. They just thought it was weird.

Say I choose to go somewhere else (because I wasn't really impressed with the customer service at the shop that has it, either) does anyone know the variations of MIM Strats? Like, does the one I order in have a significant risk of being of a lesser quality, etc?
As a rule of thumb if you love a guitar you buy that guitar. You don't buy the one from the back or the model up because it's not that guitar you fallen in love with.

If you play an amp and fall in love with it you buy THAT amp.

Basically in the world of guitars every instrument/piece of equipment is unique and should be treated as such.

I'm a bit of a snob and prior to me playing the guitar i had a problem with buy "display items" (so to speak) but after buying all of my favourite guitars in that fashion i'd rather have THAT guitar than another which won't be the same.

(^i've had a couple of bottles of wine so if that makes no sense i apologise)
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Well with amps it's not that big of deal since almost all electronics are built exactly the same. With guitars it's different because the body and neck are made of wood and every tree is different. As a compromise, ask them to get one from the back, test it out and then choose.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Madsalty
(^i've had a couple of bottles of wine so if that makes no sense i apologise)

Ooo, I've been there

Assuming that they don't have one in the back though.
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Well with amps it's not that big of deal since almost all electronics are built exactly the same. With guitars it's different because the body and neck are made of wood and every tree is different. As a compromise, ask them to get one from the back, test it out and then choose.

I don't know, tube amps all have different characteristics. They are all biased differently and each tube has it's own properties. Different speakers break in differently so it's not that simple really.

Quote by TheProducer
Ooo, I've been there

Assuming that they don't have one in the back though.

HEHE

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I guess my question is, if they don't have the exact MIM Strat that I want, is it really that risky to buy a brand new MIM Strat unseen?
Quote by TheProducer
I guess my question is, if they don't have the exact MIM Strat that I want, is it really that risky to buy a brand new MIM Strat unseen?

Very i'd always recommend playing the guitar you're going to buy if at all possible. When buying a good branded guitar like a MIM strat you're never really going to get that bad of a guitar.

I actually went to buy a MIM strat and came back with a 13 year old Squire Strat simply because it played and sounded better and that was a decision i could have only made at that moment. (and for the record it really does play like butter and sounds pretty godly)

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Really? In my local stores if i want to buy a brand new one and i ask them to order one for me they will. But obviously if i place the order then im obligated to buy it which is why they dont care.
Quote by Madsalty
Very i'd always recommend playing the guitar you're going to buy if at all possible. When buying a good branded guitar like a MIM strat you're never really going to get that bad of a guitar.

I actually went to buy a MIM strat and came back with a 13 year old Squire Strat simply because it played and sounded better and that was a decision i could have only made at that moment. (and for the record it really does play like butter and sounds pretty godly)

Yeah, I'm just trying to gauge the risk of buying a Standard Strat by ordering it because I'm pretty sure that the shop I'd like to buy it from doesn't have the exact one in stock. I mean, I would have to put a deposit on it first. If it arrived and was crap for whatever reason, I wouldn't have to buy it. I would lose my deposit though.
Quote by TheProducer
Yeah, I'm just trying to gauge the risk of buying a Standard Strat by ordering it because I'm pretty sure that the shop I'd like to buy it from doesn't have the exact one in stock. I mean, I would have to put a deposit on it first. If it arrived and was crap for whatever reason, I wouldn't have to buy it. I would lose my deposit though.

Tough Call really, what particular model do you want, out of interest?

I'd have to be swayed as to how much the deposit is aswell. Maybe you could persuade them to get one in?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
It's the MIM Fat Strat in Brown Sunburst with a Rosewood fretboard.

I've played one in a different color, so I know I like it, I would just be hoping that an ordered one would feel the same. All the MIMs that I've played in the store felt pretty much the same to me.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Madsalty
I'd have to be swayed as to how much the deposit is aswell. Maybe you could persuade them to get one in?

One store told me that the deposit would be $80.
Alright, just to finish this thread off, I went to a bigger store and played the burgundy MIM HSS and liked it, so they ordered the sunburst for me--and only took a $10 refundable deposit. So I get it new out of the box, get to try it and if I like it, it costs me nothing.

Pretty glad that I didn't buy the one at the other store when I can have it brand new and worry free.
Quote by TheProducer
Alright, just to finish this thread off, I went to a bigger store and played the burgundy MIM HSS and liked it, so they ordered the sunburst for me--and only took a $10 refundable deposit. So I get it new out of the box, get to try it and if I like it, it costs me nothing.

Pretty glad that I didn't buy the one at the other store when I can have it brand new and worry free.

Good call! I hope you enjoy your new guitar!

Regards,
Mad

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Mazzakazza

agreed.

of course, it depends on the shop and whether they have a non-floor model too, and how badly you want it etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?