I searched for bridge lift and came up with very little. I'm looking at a brand new MIM Fat Strat and it had a considerable amount of bridge lift. Is this normal for a new guitar?

Can someone explain to me what exactly it is and what it's for? I think I understand that the springs in the guitar pull back on the bridge to counteract the pressure caused by the strings, right?

Do I want/need bridge lift? Should a new guitar have it?
Are you using the trem? If so, you may want it to do pull ups.

however.

If your not, you need more tension on the bridge, slacken off the strings, turn the screws taht hold the springs in and let it come flat, then tune up.

Or just put 5 springs in, easier.

PC
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
No, I can't foresee using the trem anytime soon. So loosening the springs and tightening the screws means more tension?
i had that problem when I switched from 10 strings to 9's on my MIM Strat. I took it to a guitar tech, and he opened the back and popped in two more springs and it's worked fine since.
the standard factory set up for strats is with the bridge floating, about 3mm off the body.

it allows you to shift the pitch up and down instead of down only if there is no lift. all a matter of personal taste really.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
the standard factory set up for strats is with the bridge floating, about 3mm off the body.

it allows you to shift the pitch up and down instead of down only if there is no lift. all a matter of personal taste really.

Ah, I get it. So it would be fine to leave it like so, but if I decided that I was never going to use it, I would probably be better off bringing it down then?
Quote by TheProducer
Ah, I get it. So it would be fine to leave it like so, but if I decided that I was never going to use it, I would probably be better off bringing it down then?

i leave mine floating, don't use the trem much at all but feel more comfortable having it there if i do want it.

some people get a little hacked off with a floating bridge due to accidental pitch shifting with the palm during playing, in which case it probably best to bring it down.
like i said before, it's a matter of personal taste.

- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i leave mine floating, don't use the trem much at all but feel more comfortable having it there if i do want it.

some people get a little hacked off with a floating bridge due to accidental pitch shifting with the palm during playing, in which case it probably best to bring it down.
like i said before, it's a matter of personal taste.

Ah, okay! I was just looking for a reason why I'd want to bring it down. Now this makes much more sense. Thanks man!
^ you are welcome!
- Jimi Hendrix