For those of us stuck with only using drum machines and the computer software equivalents.. sometimes we're left with very little flexibility in terms of eq'ing, compression and dynamics.. and ESPECIALLY MIXING

I'm going to show you using a program called Modplug Tracker.

in this example i'll be using one of my own songs found in my profile, These Children walk alone.

-----

This is my drum session as done up in modplug. most of the panning and some dynamic work has been done within the program already. but if i import it into my multitrack program..

I'm left with a single stereo (left/right) track. from here i can only edit volume, compression, reverb, eq and other global changes. if midway thru i find my bass track interferes with my kickdrum.. i'm unable to edit JUST the bass drum to accommodate my bass guitar.

so whats the solution?

ISOLATION!!

and fortunately, modplug allows us to do this! you may be able to get similar results with other software based drum programs such as fruity loops, or acoustica.. and with a little ingenuity, perhaps even from the hardware ones.

i begin isolating my tracks by muting everything but 1 instrument. in this case its the kickdrum.

since everything else is muted (but not deleted) if i save my work into a wav. file i'm left with just a kickdrum sound.

perfect!

continuing on with the rest..

i'll now have all of my tracks saved and isolated into individual drums sounds. I can now import them into my multitrack editor.

from here, i can changed the volume of each instrument. my kickdrum is too loud? no problem.. too boomy? shift the eq.

i have unlimited freedom with how i want my drums to sound right now and can change it up on the fly to accommodate other instruments that are layed into the mix.

since my PC is kinda ****ty.. i usually get the drums to sound the way i want here, and then mix it to one track.. if i need to change somehting.. i can fix it later.

final product.. the final drum mix is at the top, and the rest of the instruments finished as well.

i hope this helps you guys out a bit, if you have any more questions or if anything isn't quite clear, feel free to ask here or on my profile.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by hightension01
wow i didnt read any bit of this
because if you dont have a drummer
you shouldnt be recording

dumbest thing i ever heard.

if you don't have a record contract you shouldn't be playing or even own musical equipment either right?

Quote by Kivarenn82
dumbest thing i ever heard.

if you don't have a record contract you shouldn't be playing or even own musical equipment either right?

owned

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
thanks for sending me a comment about this, i could really use this, because i **** up way too many times to count. you're...method, can really give me more control over my drums. and i can now tweak them even better.

thanks Renn.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
good! i'm glad it helped. about a month ago there was like 10 people asking for help on how to isolate drum tracks when using a drum machine... so hopefully they'll come back and check it out
Quote by hightension01
wow i didnt read any bit of this
because if you dont have a drummer
you shouldnt be recording

I hope this guy is just being sarcastic...
He's just young. doesn't know any better.

2 albums i can think of just off the top of my head here..

Necrophagist - Onset of putrefaction
Devin townsend - Ziltoid the omniscient

albums done with a drum machine.