Well I'll start off by saying that I'm neither a guitar master nor great singer but no matter what song I play I can't sing and play at the same time. As soon as I attempt to sing (or even talk) while playing my strumming pattern gets totally thrown off and it sounds nothing like what it would if I didn't try to sing. Even songs with pretty simple strumming patterns such as Wonderwall or Collide and even simpler songs. Maybe I'm just not meant to play and sing at the same time! I was just wondering if anyone had similar issues when they started playing because I don't get why this happens.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section for something like this.
try something like paranois.. thats what i learned on cause its just a straight forward thing..

Paranoid*
idk i had that problem too just practice REALLY easy songs like i mean REALLY easy songs and maybe start off by trying to talk or something while playing something easy and commit a song to muscle memory if u need to that helps also
It'll get better as you get better at both instruments. If you can't actually sing already, I suggest taking lessons, joining choir, or anything else that would help you.
The same happens to me, I start concentrating on my Guitar/Bass, Then when singing I think about my timing for my voice, And I end up strumming or playing notes at the same time of my voice. Mat Bellamy and Mark King can do it like It doesn't bother them at all,

Originally Posted by Draekon

A song im very good at is Raining Blood!
"RAINING BLOOD! from a lacerated sky! Bleed is Horror! I bleed destruction, and now i shall REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is that what he says?
You have to be able to play the song without thinking about it, and know the lyrics well.

Try Paint it Black. Ridiculously easy.
Just keep practising thats how i did it, just practice until it finally works, didnt take that long for me, but i am a 'gutiar master' :P
The first thing you need to be able to do is both things separately - you need know both the music and words perfectly and be able to either sing it easily or play it...then you can look at putting the two together. Don't try and learn to do both at the same time because it likely won't work!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The first thing you need to be able to do is both things separately - you need know both the music and words perfectly and be able to either sing it easily or play it...then you can look at putting the two together. Don't try and learn to do both at the same time because it likely won't work!

+1

And if you're still having trouble, try humming along to your playing.
That's what happened to me when I first started playing...Once you memorize the song front and back and your mind can wander while playing it then you can probably sing while playing.
I can sing while playing rhythm guitar songs that I know really well, but ask me to play a riff and sing even 2 words and it all goes to hell. lol.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
Another thing you can do is to play a song where the guitar play the melody together with the vocals. Jimi Hendrix has some of that stuff, and it's really great practice if you're new to singing and playing at the same time.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I struggle because I simply cannot sing.

However i find my best attempts for timing and stuff are as said above, master the song on the guitar so that you don't need to think, then add singing afterwards.

just done that with a few songs i'm learning / re-learning. god help the neighbours.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I can't sing and play at the same time, except for some songs where the picking pattern is so simple and continuous that it's just like tapping your foot while you sing. I can play and sing, basket case, under the bridge, summer of 69, and stand by me. Er that's about it really. Anything syncopated and there's no way
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I dont sing, yet. But you have to be good with both first.
Focus on the singing, thats more harder and focus oriented then strumming. Or some times don't focus on singing, it all comes out like 2nd nature.
the answer comes with time...once you reach a certain lvl in guitar playing you will be able to sing and play with any song
Quote by Dyers
the answer comes with time...once you reach a certain lvl in guitar playing you will be able to sing and play with any song

...No.

Take a look at things like Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist and Behemoth and then consider that all of those have singers that play guitar as well (Atheist is a bit of a weird one because back in the day the singer used to play but in the recent reunion shows he doesn't because he has CTS).

You have to bad damn good to play and sing that stuff at the same time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You and 99.35% of Earth's guitarist population.

Aliens not included as they are far superior in the arts of music.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I found it easiest to not worry too much about strumming pattern for a song, just get the chord changes in the right place as you sing and strum sort of randomly.

Or something like American Pie intro where the chords are all single strums and easy to sing along to.

But like, I learned to play Mr. Jones pretty early on but it was months and months before I could sing along to it because it has a weird strumming pattern and I had to focus on the strumming to get it right ><
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
I had the same problem a few months ago. I didn't change the songs I was playing; you just gotta practice. Eventually, if you work at it enough, you can get where you can have conversations with people while you play (it's pretty cool ) and I haven't been playing long, so it shouldn't be super difficult