Would this combo work? I know it is a MG cab, but I'm just wondering if this would be a decent buy.

I'm sure the Laney would make it sound better!!

(By the way, I would only get the MG if I just can't stretch the money to get the Laney cab...)
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Maybe. Depends if the cables are the same. If so, jus plug it in. Then see if it sounds good.
MG is a nono. if you cant make a laney work now, give it another month and youll have enough money
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by Metallist65
Maybe. Depends if the cables are the same. If so, jus plug it in. Then see if it sounds good.

It's got nothing to do with the cables. If the ohms match it'll work, just don't expect it to sound any good, the MG is a cheap-ass cab made of cheap-ass materials.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The laney is a pretty bad amp in itself, the cab is pure garbage.

Im a laney bumming elitist, but ive played the LV half stack, had alot of powr, but not much balls, your better off with a valve combo.

What music do you play?
The marshall MG cab only works with the marshall mg head, for that crushing overdrive.
If you only have $300-ish for a cab, either save another couple hundred or buy an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
A hybrid amp head is not a good deal, and MG cabs well enough has been said about how bad they are. Do you really need 120 watts? 50 watts of tube would blow it away.
Quote by Ghold125
The marshall MG cab only works with the marshall mg head, for that crushing overdrive.

No, I'm pretty sure it's SLAMMIN' Overdrive. Or was it CRUSHING? I forgeted.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by Tackleberry
A hybrid amp head is not a good deal, and MG cabs well enough has been said about how bad they are. Do you really need 120 watts? 50 watts of tube would blow it away.

I just wanted it to look cool

Well, any suggestions for a decent valve amps? Before the halfstack, I was looking at the VC30, any good?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I just wanted it to look cool

Well, any suggestions for a decent valve amps? Before the halfstack, I was looking at the VC30, any good?

Well, what you play?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
From your profile, I guess you're into a classic/hard rock "Marshall Stack" Sound.
Something that is really great at that sound is a Peavey Classic which runs about $500. Then, get an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks which runs about $300.

A little more expensive than the rig you proposed, but the tone is orders of magnitude better.
Dont go buy my advice though. Do some research.

EDIT
Oh, didn't realize a VC30 was in your budget. It would be a great solution, but the speakers are kinda meh.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Last edited by stigma15 at Jun 4, 2008,
Going by looking cool is not the best way to decide what amp to buy. MGs look cool saying marshall and all but they are still cheap junk. I would rather have a smaller 2x12 avatar cab than any of the 4x12 MG cabs. And I dont know much about laney amps but if I was going to get a head unit it would be all tubes.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-classic-30/446

So, would that be a good amp?

Looks cool too, coming from a dedicated Marshall Man!

(Yes, I know I play through an MG, but all my favourite guitarist play them, so I have to be like them!!)

EDIT: Or if I save up some more, would the Marshall DSL401 be any good?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-dsl401/283
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
what type of music do you play?

Like, early Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Deep Purple MkIII, and some bluesy stuff, like Peter Green Splinter group and The Moody Marsden Band.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Like, early Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Deep Purple MkIII, and some bluesy stuff, like Peter Green Splinter group and The Moody Marsden Band.

How much money you got and do you need it for gigging?

In POUNDS please, there's no point quoting dollars unless you're in the US, it just confuses people!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Pretty good, but that Laney is holding you back. Get a Marshall MG head to match. I heard Zakk Wylde and Kerry King play them, so it must be good. Plus it's a Marshall, which means automatic goodness. Make it thunder.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by steven seagull
How much money you got and do you need it for gigging?

In POUNDS please, there's no point quoting dollars unless you're in the US, it just confuses people!

I would need it for jamming and gigging hopefully within the next year..

(If I can be arsed to go look for a band :P: )

EDIT: And about £400 - £450, which is about $800 to $900 for you yanks!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Go for the VC30 then....don't bother posting with the $ price conversion, it doesn't apply due to the exchange rate.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/visual_sound_v2jh1_jekyllhyde.htm
=
you completely sorted
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Go for the VC30 then....don't bother posting with the $ price conversion, it doesn't apply due to the exchange rate.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/visual_sound_v2jh1_jekyllhyde.htm
=
you completely sorted

Looks good!

And I just posted the coversion to give Americans an insight on how much money I'll have, in time

EDIT: By the way, would this be louder than a 50w solid state?

And how much power would this be equvilant to? In SS of course.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jun 7, 2008,
FAR louder than a 50w SS.

I wouldn't like to give a comparison because it will also cut through a lot better and sound warmer too, and EQ and everything affects things. But, think favourably towards the tube amp. My 5w Epi jr can keep up with a 60w Hybrid quite nicely, and my VC30 with its new G12H speaker can keep up with a VK halfstack that naturally lacks mids with scooped speakers.

Also, I'd recommend a speaker change for the VC30, the Celestion G12H suits it perfectly if you can shoehorn it into your budget alongside the 112 + Jekyll&Hyde pedal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.