So I am a bass player and have been playing for a while. I am graduating next week and my dad said that I could get a new instrument (Since I have never owned a 'new' instrument. Both of my bass's and my acoustic guitar were previously used).

So I decide to look at the drums, but they were too expensive. We look at some bass stuff but I am really set for bass right now and would kind of like to learn another instrument(I am always self taught, by the way. So it isn't really a matter of finding classes. There aren't really classes for synthesizers anyway.)

Finally we get to the guitar section and I walked in there not wanting to play guitar at all. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST GUITAR. I guess I was just always the background kind of guy.

But I see this guitar http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-104298773-i1174173.gc

and instantly fell in love. It is in the exact price range we were looking for, and I mean exactly. The amp I would be using would be http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc

So I was decided. That was what I wanted to get for graduation.

Anyway! Just as we are about to leave he says "let's go look at some keyboards". I agree and we go look at keyboards. When I find this! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Micron-Analog-Modeling-Synth-102810637-i1154723.gc

It is also in my price range and I have been looking for an affordable synth for a while. I played both the guitar and synth at the store and they both sound great.

So I am split down the middle.

Synth or Guitar?

Oh and P.S: Almost all my passion is still in bass. It is still my favorite instrument. So I am not "giving up on bass".
Quote by FireandFlames
Definitely the synth.

edit: I think I'd choose a MicrKorg over the Alesis though.

Synth... make some crazy beats.

Synths are awesome.

+1
^ i have the microkorg. its amazing. you might wanna try that one out.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
guitar is a little more complicated than bass cause u need more chords and weird scales..synth is sick if you know how to play piano/keyboard...
go synth. make some stuff to play bass over when your bored with it
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Wow, thanks :]
I didn't think I would get that many votes for synth from Ultimate GUITAR. lol

I can play the chords or whatever the guy was talking about up there. It's just....hmm...

I don't know. The guitar is nice looking and has a nice feel to it for me. but a Synth would be awesome.

-EDIT- I think I will be unhappy with my decision no matter what. The other guy was right though. Synth can literally do anything!
synth always wanted to play one myself
My Gear :
Epiphone les paul custom (alpine white) Peavey Valve king half stack
Ehx Big muff Pi Gibson sg special faded
Ehx Metal Muff Dunlop crybaby 535q
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Seanichu
Wow, thanks :]
I didn't think I would get that many votes for synth from Ultimate GUITAR. lol

I can play the chords or whatever the guy was talking about up there. It's just....hmm...

I don't know. The guitar is nice looking and has a nice feel to it for me. but a Synth would be awesome.

Synths are awesome dude. Get it, but get a MicroKorg instead of the Alesis.
Is the Microkorg really that much better?

I think that with the guitar and amp I will feel like I am getting my(or my dad's) money worth....

Synths are badass though....they get all the chicks too lol.
the only thing the alesis has over the microkorg is that it has a drum kit and the korg doesnt...keep that in mind because honestly thats what im torn between also...the korg also has a vocoder and the micron doesnt.
Don't get a Spider III.

Get a Cube instead.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.