I know there are a lot of threads from people asking about multi-fx and whatnot, but I'm having a little trouble.

I originally planned to get the Vox Tonelab LE, but after discovering the Boss GT-8, I changed my mind until I tried it out in a shop, where I tried to use the wah pedal (after turning that effect on) and the sound went dead. So I went back to saving for the Vox.

Now, I'd love the Vox for it's ease of use, but I know I'd need a distortion pedal for real metal tone. I know the Boss can do that, and that I can use different effects together. ...And it has more/better features.

Basically, which would you recommend? I'd spend more money with the Vox (for a distortion pedal too), but I know I'd get used to using the Boss.

Are there any other Multi-FX pedals I should look in to?

Thanks.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
umm this awesome guitarist i know uses some line 6 pod live thing... but to be honest im not sure myself.
Try the ME-50.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
if ease of use is the problem, Boss usually has some of the most simple to use pedals. GT 8 looks no dsifferent, but I haven't used it.
Quote by E V H 5150
Try the ME-50.

I'll look into it, thanks. One thing, can I use more than one effect at one time? Because that's what put me off the Vox mostly.

Quote by dustyboy316
if ease of use is the problem, Boss usually has some of the most simple to use pedals. GT 8 looks no dsifferent, but I haven't used it.

Well, like I said, I had trouble with the GT-8. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while.

And to the other guy, I'll look into Line 6, too. I've just been put off them from what I've heard in the past.
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

Quote by jaffawoman
I'll look into it, thanks. One thing, can I use more than one effect at one time? Because that's what put me off the Vox mostly.

You can use, all at one time:

Tone Modify, Compressor/Sustainer, Noise Suppressor, Reverb, and:

1 Distortion, 1 Modulation (phaser/flanger, chorus and such), 1 Delay, and one expression pedal effect (octaver + and -, wah, and such).
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
the me-50 is extremely simple, but lacking in tone imo. I had one for 2 years n just sold it. I like my Danelectro Metal Pedal more than the ME-50 metal, which isn't a good sign.

I also found the wah to be weak with distortion.

I'm sure you would get used to the GT-8, so that shouldn't effect your decision imo.

Another thing to look into is if it can do more than 1 modulation (i.e. flanger and chorus) which the ME-50 can't do.
Quote by E V H 5150
You can use, all at one time:

Tone Modify, Compressor/Sustainer, Noise Suppressor, Reverb, and:

1 Distortion, 1 Modulation (phaser/flanger, chorus and such), 1 Delay, and one expression pedal effect (octaver + and -, wah, and such).

Is that what the 'Insert' button is for under the pedal effects? If it is, then I might be interested again.

Quote by dustyboy316
the me-50 is extremely simple, but lacking in tone imo. I had one for 2 years n just sold it. I like my Danelectro Metal Pedal more than the ME-50 metal, which isn't a good sign.

I also found the wah to be weak with distortion.

I'm sure you would get used to the GT-8, so that shouldn't effect your decision imo.

Another thing to look into is if it can do more than 1 modulation (i.e. flanger and chorus) which the ME-50 can't do.

That's one thing I don't like about the Vox. But like I said, the 'Insert' button might let me do that.

Anyway, thanks for telling me about the ME. I have a Danelectro Metal pedal, and I was looking to move into better sounding stuff.

Multi effect pedals are gross IMO
They suck all your tone.
But, if i did get one it would be the GT-8
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
Quote by BryanChampine
Multi effect pedals are gross IMO
They suck all your tone.
But, if i did get one it would be the GT-8

For a while I've been using single effects, and even though they're in a pedal board, my whammy and my crybaby are too big to put the lid on and carry around. It's just for convenience really.

I think I'm likely to get the Boss. Although the Vox is still an option, if anybody wants to persuade me.

Edit: Does anybody in the UK know where I could buy a Boss GT-8? I know where I can buy a Vox if I choose that (dolphin music). The sound control in Sheffield is only open for a few more weeks, so I wouldn't want to risk the Boss not working later on.

Last edited by jaffawoman at Jun 4, 2008,
Perhaps online?
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
You sure you can't use more than one effect at the time with the Vox? Tried downloading the manual online if that says anything about it?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I found the wah on the GT-8 to be the worst one I've used. I had a GT-8 for a year and sold it.
Quote by Fama
You sure you can't use more than one effect at the time with the Vox? Tried downloading the manual online if that says anything about it?

it has separate controls for pedals (various FX, mostly dist/OD but theres also some others), modulation, delay and reverb, so IMO you could use all the FX combinations you'd need, unless you want to flood your tone with several different reverbs on top of each other until its a complete wash of wank flavoured slush.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
line 6 pod xt live are awesome for any genre
Setup:

Ibanez Gio
Bc Rich Warlock
Fender Squier Telecaster Deluxe Custom
Peavey Bandit
1982 JCM 800 Marshall 50WT Amplifier
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Digitech Rp200a
I like the Boss gt-8. Fiddled with one in a store for about an hor and got some good tones out of it. Plus the effects in it are quite good.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I cant offer specifics, but id look into higher end Line 6 Pods, or higher end Zoom units
Quote by andrewpledger
Korg Ax3000G. Basically the same as the Tonelab but with reversed layout:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-AX3000G-Guitar-Floor-ModelerEffects-Pedal?sku=152177&src=3SOSWXXA
Korg owns vox so the quality is the same.

If it's the same as the Vox, then surely it would have the same problems, right? But thanks for the advice anyway.

Quote by mysteriousmunky
line 6 pod xt live are awesome for any genre

How does the quality/features compare to the Vox or the Boss GT-8?