Page 1 of 2
It seems Squier has been getting better and better and better. They made a good move in the right direction with the VM series. But check these new models.
The classic vibe series. Sorry if this is old news and has already been posted. Opinions on this?

Yes. I know it's basswood body, but it's squier remember.

Jazz bass classic vibe 60's

Precision bass classic vibe 50's

Precision bass classic vibe 60's
They look nice to me. Be nice if maple was an option on the '60s ones though.
i'm not a bass player but i do like bass guitar (hopefully will have enough money one day to buy one and learn bass-i'm 14) but they are pretty sweet bass guitars
this'll probably sound like a completely stupid question (I play with a pick, right) But why is the thumbrest on the treble side ?
Quote by jimRH7
this'll probably sound like a completely stupid question (I play with a pick, right) But why is the thumbrest on the treble side ?

Bass players of the 60's would sometimes rest their fingers there and play with their thumbs, IIRC.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe those basses have the rests for bass players who hook, or pull up on the bar while they play. Or something like that. someone correct me or explain it better.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
i received a new Fender Brochure in the mail a few days ago. it had the new VM series updates, and they look sic! very nice stuff. they also show some new features on the MIA's. if your not on the mailing list, www.fender.com

Edit: checkout this model, no p-guard!
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=jazzbass&subcat=vintagemodifiedseries
man, they look very familiar. doh!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by Micah_Bass22
I believe those basses have the rests for bass players who hook, or pull up on the bar while they play. Or something like that. someone correct me or explain it better.

They are called 'tug bars'. In the early 60s, many bass players used their thumbs instead of fingers to play finger style. The bar was there for the other four fingers to grab. Check out early Beach Boys videos on youtube, Brian Wilson played bass this way.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i received a new Fender Brochure in the mail a few days ago. it had the new VM series updates

could you give some detalis about it?!!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
damn it raul i was just about to post a thread on this. it would have been my only contributing post this year aswell.

oh well the entire classic vibe line looks tasty even the electric guitar line, the 50's tele is the sex

and i'm this close to selling some gear for that 50s p bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Love that 50's P bass, any idea if they've done more expensive (non-squier) models of these three?
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by litus
could you give some detalis about it?!!

the Fender advert didn't detail the VM's at all, just a photo, and a link to the web site.
and it's the same site, posted. it does however, mention some new features on the American Standard P and J basses, like new bridges, neck treatments, and tuning keys. maybe Fender has been reading this forum. lol
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Fender advert didn't detail the VM's at all, just a photo, and a link to the web site.
and it's the same site, posted. it does however, mention some new features on the American Standard P and J basses, like new bridges, neck treatments, and tuning keys. maybe Fender has been reading this forum. lol

New bridges, neck treatments ad tuning keys? did I miss out?
Pah, I'm fine with mine All 3 are brilliant, especially the thru-body bridge, such amazing sustain in it!
Quote by Jonn0
New bridges, neck treatments ad tuning keys? did I miss out?
Pah, I'm fine with mine All 3 are brilliant, especially the thru-body bridge, such amazing sustain in it!

The new tuning keys are 30% lighter also.
Quote by watchingmefall

I doubt I'd notice that difference, I'm fine with the weight and no problems with neck diving.
Quote by watchingmefall

Yeah, I believe they're using Hipshots. Or licensed by Hipshot tuners. One of the two.

All that aside, am I missing something by not being terribly excited about this new line. They'll be pretty good, I don't doubt. But a Squire in its original form goes about as far as a second bass IMO.
Quote by Jonn0
I doubt I'd notice that difference, I'm fine with the weight and no problems with neck diving.

i really miss my through body strings.
you already have a killer bass. get the new p-guard, and rest assured, you are playing one of the finest instruments available today. the rest is just GAS.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i really miss my through body strings.
you already have a killer bass. get the new p-guard, and rest assured, you are playing one of the finest instruments available today. the rest is just GAS.

Hah, that I know for sure.
Only problem is the new E string I have on it, it was a .110 Tapewound, now a normal .105, and I wouldn't have thought this'd make a difference, but it rattles when played hard, I need to get it checked out =/
It basically looks like a VM with a gloss neck, much better bridge, and different pickups. IMO, the bridge and pickups are the most replaceable thing on a Squier, so the neck is the deciding factor when choosing between a VM or classic. It is probably the most important part as well, since Squier necks are generally exquisite.

The 50s is the only bass of that version offered by squier, so it is a welcome addition.

Alltogether, the classic series comes down to price. If they are equally priced to the VM series, I can see it as a viable alternative if one wants a laquered neck. I think it is a great addition to a great brand.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by jimRH7

Thanks for asking my stupid question for me.

I have a Squire (because of lack of money) and have been playing a year. There is no reason I have ever found not to like it. Their guitars suck though
~Insert Signature Here~
Quote by Jonn0
Love that 50's P bass, any idea if they've done more expensive (non-squier) models of these three?

Hi Mate,

Yep- you can get a fender MIM 50's P-Bass, I've been drooling over one in fiesta red with the gold pickguard and a maple neck.

one day...........

One thing i have noticed though is that on most of the pics they dont have the trble side rest or pickup covers fitted, but the holes are there in the pickguard to accept them. probarly because they are anodised alloy pickguards, and it makes it easier for the owner to add them if required at a later date?

sorry about the large pic:

pROn
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by watchingmefall
It seems Squier has been getting better and better and better. They made a good move in the right direction with the VM series. But check these new models.
The classic vibe series. Sorry if this is old news and has already been posted. Opinions on this?

Yes. I know it's basswood body, but it's squier remember.

Jazz bass classic vibe 60's

Precision bass classic vibe 50's

Precision bass classic vibe 60's

I like the Jazz Bass Classic Vibe 60's the best.

PS: Why do you type in blue? I have to highlight your type to read it, not that it's a big deal (I have a black-style UG)
I like the 50s p-bass. The others seem kinda pointless to me. Its not like they will sound different. I dig the colors though, very sexy.
The 50's p-bass looks amazing! Im a Jazz man myself though and the 60's jazz looks great aswell.
Im buying a new bass after exams so i might try to get the jazz.
You stole my Overture
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
I like the Jazz Bass Classic Vibe 60's the best.

PS: Why do you type in blue? I have to highlight your type to read it, not that it's a big deal (I have a black-style UG)

I used to type in green but everybody complained that it hurts the eyes.
wow, loving the 50s precision
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by Jonn0

there is a MIM '57 Reissue (I believe these are the ones with the gold pickgaurds) that go for around 700.

Lemme find one for you quick like.....right here

The one I was thinking of came in Fiesta Red...so that might not be it.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I like the 50's P but my eyes are really on the Duo-sonic re-issue guitar. might buy one in the summer.
Great... More basses to think about while trying to find a great bass for under $450. Yeah I know Im a cheap ass...

I just have one question which was prolly caused my me not wanting to read words. Why the hell are both Ps only offered in blue? Is it to make them look more vintage or something?
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Nice those are just nice god i'm proud of my user name
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Wow, I've been looking for a sonic blue precision for a while, and now Squier throw one out there, awesome! That jazz is tempting too.

And did I just see this properly?:
Quote by skater dan0
...I'm this close to selling some gear for that 50s p bass

What's got into you Dan?!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
ive been using fenders. My first bass was a squier it is far from a let down.
the 50s p bass looks like a sweet bass
that bridge is a great improvemen
i dont really like the color but it that bass is really awesome
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
This is pretty cool. Does anyone know how much these will cost?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Captain Insano
I like the 50s p-bass. The others seem kinda pointless to me. Its not like they will sound different. I dig the colors though, very sexy.

The classic vibe has the glossed neck and high mass bridge, which are fairly important.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jun 4, 2008,
Dan Q, have you ever seen the Fiesta Red P-Bass in real life? It looks really, really pink. If you like that kinda thing.

And nice stuff. I think basswood is the budget tonewood of the future.

Oh, and obligatory Fitz complaint: Lake Placid Blue was never, ever available on 1st or 2nd generation Precisions (i.e. with the single coil pickup). I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the colour didn't come out until, oh, 1962. However, there were no solid finishes on those basses, and I bet it looks better than a trans finish on a 3-piece basswood body. The bridge is all wrong too, but I don't mind, since the original bridge is pretty dire.

MAJOR EDIT: All Classic Vibe Strats are made of Alder. The Classic Vibe Tele is made of Pine. All basses are made of... Basswood. Arg... why can't the basses get classier woods like the guitar? OK, maybe not pine...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jun 5, 2008,
Page 1 of 2