well I went to my local music store and played a couple of amps today.

the peavey windsor head and the spider valve 112.

first the Peavey.

This was a seriously GREAT amp for the price I'm considering buying one. I played it through some no name behringer 4x12 cab with crappy speakers and it still sounded great. I was able to get a nice OD out of it, ala Clapton, hendrix, stuff like that. then when you turned that gain up you would get some nice Van halen and GnR sounds. you can get a nice inbetween sound, A nice AC/DC crunch. The Texture control was really cool you could go from a more vintage flabby low end to a tight compressed sound and everything inbetween It was great. I was also able to get a good RATM sound with it.

Overall a GREAT amp for the money. so like a 8 and a half or 9 outta ten

now........the spider valve 112.

for the price. the thing is horrible. BUT it does sound good its got some nice lower gain sounds, like clapton and stuff but they're just OK. It really shines in the higher gain stuff. I got a Nice recto sound outta it (definatly not perfect but pretty good) but there isn't much to say about it. It's just OK If you have the money go for it. if not oh well it's not an amazing thing.

overall its maybe a 7
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Did you try out the cleans on the Windsor?

I'm assuming it'd be quite a challenge getting cleans out of it.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yah I tried they're basically non existant you can get some ok ones with the volume knob but no it doesn't have much for cleans.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
nice reviews.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I found the Windsor to be flat and lifeless. But I wasn't looking for "metal" from it. I was looking for the non-existent cleans.
Quote by gregs1020
I found the Windsor to be flat and lifeless. But I wasn't looking for "metal" from it. I was looking for the non-existent cleans.

definatly. iwasn't looking for metal eoither but it's a great classic rock amp just no cleans
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I played the Windsor once for a show (Kinda borrowed it) I found it to not be extremely versatile but if you like the sound then it is still a good amp and not limiting, (like I say if it fits your style) but the distortion or gain that was always there was kind of annoying at times.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by AthenasGhost
I played the Windsor once for a show (Kinda borrowed it) I found it to not be extremely versatile but if you like the sound then it is still a good amp and not limiting, (like I say if it fits your style) but the distortion or gain that was always there was kind of annoying at times.

agree with some people that it's basically a JCM800 with more gain. so It's not very versatile. and having gain there all the time is a bit annoying. I'm sure if I had more time to play with it I could get some better cleans though.

and it's definalty not an amp thats for everyone it's a classic rock amp period that and some old school thrash like metallica
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
definatly. I wasn't looking for metal either but it's a great classic rock amp just no cleans

But don't you think the Classic 30 pwns the Windsor for classic rock or basically everything shy of metal? Leave it to a Chicagoan to start a sentence with "but"...
so would you say the windsor is good for things like underoath?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I recently had the chance to play a Spider Valve as well.

The store had terrible selection, the Spider Valve was by far the best amp they had on display (they may have had other amps in another room, I didn't bother to check). The only other amps they had were Spiders, MGs, and Frontmen. They did have a Super XD but I didn't bother. So I picked up a Daisy Rock for the lulz (no Hello Kitties unfotunately) and plugged into it.

Not good at all. There wasn't too much difference between the Valve and the regular Spider. Less clipping yeah, a bit less mud, but almost the same ****ty base tone. I didn't really bother tweaking or with effects either (I did use the Tape Echo), but it was sorta crap. Not bad I guess, but not even close to impressive. Cool if you're paying $400 or $500 new, but like $800 is absolutely uncalled for. Once I was done I turned up loud, butchered Stairway to Heaven, and got myself kicked out.

I played it like a beginner, out of time, many bum notes. Plus I pinched every note. That was way more fun than the amp.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I recently had the chance to play a Spider Valve as well.

The store had terrible selection, the Spider Valve was by far the best amp they had on display (they may have had other amps in another room, I didn't bother to check). The only other amps they had were Spiders, MGs, and Frontmen. They did have a Super XD but I didn't bother. So I picked up a Daisy Rock for the lulz (no Hello Kitties unfotunately) and plugged into it.

Not good at all. There wasn't too much difference between the Valve and the regular Spider. Less clipping yeah, a bit less mud, but almost the same ****ty base tone. I didn't really bother tweaking or with effects either (I did use the Tape Echo), but it was sorta crap. Not bad I guess, but not even close to impressive. Cool if you're paying $400 or $500 new, but like $800 is absolutely uncalled for. Once I was done I turned up loud, butchered Stairway to Heaven, and got myself kicked out.

I played it like a beginner, out of time, many bum notes. Plus I pinched every note. That was way more fun than the amp.

Thats kinda what I was trying to say.

and to Fifer

Underoath might be a little to mcuh for the windsor. you would need an OD
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well finally someone that likes the windsor as much as i do....great amp for the price (i even paid 240 for it)
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Yah It's a GREAT amp for the price I don't know why people are banging it so much. yah It's a bit rough around the edges but it's really nice for a starter gigging amp or for a player whos been playing for years whos tight on cash. it's an all around great amp IMHO

the kicker is I played it on a really REALLY bad cab and it still sounded pretty great
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by fifer
so would you say the windsor is good for things like underoath?

No.

There are clean on a Windsor. A pair of 12AT7's or 5751's in the preamp will help you find them.