hi.. i have been trying to learn how to reduce my picking noise when im alterpicking very fast (specially on the 1st and 2nd strings). If you look at petrucci's picking, when he picks fast it sounds like mechinegun firing, where as when joe satriani or steve vai is picking it somehow sound as aggressive. Now i like both the styles and my picking sounds like some mechine gun is firing when i'm picking fast. how can i reduce this noise? some guys told me its because of the eq setting. if so, which range of the eq is responsible for this. some said if i canpick with my pick keeping it a little inclined (not keeping the pick exactly perpendicular to the strings) the picking noise will reduce. I tried to do it, i even tried out circular picking thinking it would help. can you guys give me a little more insight to these things. if you can send me any links for instructional videos or something that would be highly appreciated

Thanks a lot
well.. i may get flamed for this, but its probably something they do in a studio to get rid of it, but u can still hear it on some albums
You learn to live with it. There's nothing more I can really tell you. If you don't want it, play violin? I'm not very helpful I guess.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
You learn to live with it. There's nothing more I can really tell you. If you don't want it, play violin? I'm not very helpful I guess.

i dont have any problem living with it if there is no techniques to reduce this noise but if there is some technique i'm very keen to learn it.
ok ummm try this,
when alternat picking you pick up and down right? yes. \/ /\ \/ /\.
try picking in a sweeping motion, very smooth, very lagato like. not "sweep picking" thats not what i mean, but pick and instead of picking straight up and down being very obnoxious, try picking outwards just a tad when you play, you might get a smoother sound...
Quote by Agent-Orange
ok ummm try this,
when alternat picking you pick up and down right? yes. \/ /\ \/ /\.
try picking in a sweeping motion, very smooth, very lagato like. not "sweep picking" thats not what i mean, but pick and instead of picking straight up and down being very obnoxious, try picking outwards just a tad when you play, you might get a smoother sound...

you mean to tild the head of the pick slightly downward for downstroke and upward for upstroke? thats very close to doing circular picking i can sure try it out. anyone else have any openion on the matter? a youtube link or something like that would have made my work so much easier because im now just trying hoping to have some luck that im not doing it the wrong way and it'll end up working!!
btw tilting the pick takes a long time.. specially when you are not using the circular picking technique
hmm circular picking? if thats what they call it?
idk... i taught my self to play guitar and ive been playing for 4 years so i experiment alot untill its close... might a take a year or two tho lol...
really theres 2 things that contribute to picking noise. one is the combination of pickups + EQ, another is simply picking with too much force.