So if you're self-taught, then how long have you been that way and is there anything at all you regret and anything that you may appreciate? Any other comments?

P.S. Taking lessons as a regret is not a legitimate answer...
Yeah, go to the self-taught players thread in the basic forum...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330777
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't regret anything really.....I don't really appreciate besides not having to learn certain stuff for a teacher....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My progress & learning sped up a lot after I started taking lessons. I wish I had started taking lessons as soon as I bought my guitar, rather than waste time wishing I played less crappily.
i had a strong musical background before i took up the guitar. i don't regret anything because it came naturally without lessons. good hard practice is the way to go.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'm self taught, and I can comprehend a lot of the more complex topics in the musician talk forum.

EDIT: This was in response to Zaphod_Beeblebr's comment.
Quote by Steve BP
My progress & learning sped up a lot after I started taking lessons. I wish I had started taking lessons as soon as I bought my guitar, rather than waste time wishing I played less crappily.

lol noob

im self taught and i couldnt be happier.

most important thing to remember: always challenge yourself, and play what you want to play.

if sweeps are your thing, play em. Blues? play em. Do what YOU want. That's why we play guitar.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I also don't take lessons because we have one teacher in the area who can teach you open chords and barre chords.....I quit going to him after about 4 lessons and a guy I know who's been playing about 4 years took lessons from him and would go to the lessons just to show up the teacher.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I took lessons for the first 3 years or so of my playing, then when I left school I didn't bother getting private lessons. I'm happy with how I'm progressing without lessons for now, if I could afford them I'd have them, but I can't so I don't.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by st.stephen
I'm self taught, and I can comprehend a lot of the more complex topics in the musician talk forum.

EDIT: This was in response to Zaphod_Beeblebr's comment.

By that I meant that there is a whole thread dedicated to discussing being self-taught, it just happens to be in the Basics forum.

Edit: If I could afford lessons I'd take them, even if only for the more direct being taught of genres other than metal; that's a hole in my playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i dont like lessons. cause i dont always want to learn at x or y time. same with practice. i cant play 1 hour everyday. i play when i want to. could be weeks that go by that i dont play. or i could play 12 hours a day.
Regrets? Plenty. I have the technical skill, but know very little about music theory. I'd take lessons if you can afford them, and only for about a year or two.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
I love the fact that I'm self-taught... and I would never be as good as I am if I hadn't taught myself.
When you get the chance to learn on your own, you end up with a style that's all your own because you haven't had someone telling you how to do anything along the way.
I have absolutely no regrets. I've learned a fair amount of theory on my own, so that's not an issue, like with most people who teach themselves
^ +1 to that. you develop your own style through self-learning.

i don't regret that i didn't take lessons. i've been teaching myself for 4 years now.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Well some of it I do regret being self-taught, because I know NO music theory. All I can do is play songs from tab.. I guess I'm not teaching myself correctly.
Member of the Thrash Brotherhood

Quote by valennic

You sir are a genious.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

Winnah right here.
Quote by etays69
So if you're self-taught, then how long have you been that way and is there anything at all you regret and anything that you may appreciate? Any other comments?

i guess the only thing i regret about not having lessons is that there are some things that i didnt learn for a long time. some basic licks even. i had to go and find things on my own. i didnt really know where to start though. but now that ive been playing for a few years and made so much progress, i dont think a teacher would do much for me these days other than to teach me theory.
Way back when I got my first guitar, I screwed around with TABs trying to play songs I liked and stuff and never really progressed. I sort of gave up guitar for 5 years and then deside to get a teacher. The teacher helped me immensely, but life reared it's ugly head and I didn't have the time to practice the lessions the teacher gave me an so I quit after about 8 months. Last year, I developed an interest again and went back and practiced my old lessons and bought a few advanced books. Now I don't use a teacher, I go at my own pace and I'm making good progress. I don't feel like I need a teacher to get me where I want to be anymore. If I could it all over again, the thing I would change is I would have purchased a beginner guide, like Hal Leonard, at the very start and practiced basics along with TABs. It would have made me a better player faster and it's likely I would have stuck with it longer.
Quote by nvranka
lol noob

im self taught and i couldnt be happier.

most important thing to remember: always challenge yourself, and play what you want to play.

if sweeps are your thing, play em. Blues? play em. Do what YOU want. That's why we play guitar.

+1. same here, is best if your willing to do it. having a teacher is kinda of forcing me to learn certain stuff which really bores me. you'll feel happier when you discover your methods
as a kid i had ADD/ADHD, and deslexia. man there is no way i could have sat thru guitar lessons. but i really wanted to play, so i stole my moms gibby flat top and just banged on it until some music finally occured. then a friend took pity on me and taught me a barre-chord. well i was off and runnin then. but it took me years to learn what most of you learn in just a couple of years. learning to play the bass helped alot, but i wish i had at least had some lessons when i was a teenager.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
i wish i would've taken lessons, cause i might have understood all the lingo and the structures a lot faster rather than have to learn it all the hard way, but overall im satisfied with how well i've been able to learn and play without any lessons. But im still considering taking lessons, its not like im too old to take them anyway.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by etays69

You always can go out and find more instruction (books or dvd) and still be self-taught.
I was in band at school for 5 years, so I understood theory perfectly. I tend to be a quick learner anyway, and when I picked up guitar I basically just played to some tabs until my fingers were comfortable enough to learn some chords and shapes, etc. Been going at guitar for almost 4 years now, but like I said, my musical history reaches much farther back. I don't regret a thing. I'm sort of proud of myself, and I've gotten a lot of blank stares when I tell people that I've only played for 3 and a half years and taught myself.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard
Oscar Schmidt OG10CE Acoustic-Electric

60W Peavey Studio Pro 112

Boss TU-2 > Homebrew Electronics UFO > Dunlop Crybaby > Catalinbread Hyperpak > Digitech Bad Monkey > Behringer DD400
I don't see what good a teacher would do for me. Better my technique? Doubtful, as many "teachers" don't have such good technique themselves. The only people I'd want as a teacher are Freepower from this forum and probably Paul Gilbert. Seeing as how both of those are not really possibilites, I'd rather take what I know (which I honestly believe to be more useful than what a teacher could teach me) and apply it to myself, becoming the best I can be.

There are tons of good resources for teaching readily available on the web.
Ive been self taught ever since I started playing guitar, a year and a half ago

No regrets, cause it makes me look alot better than I am, when people ask how long i've been taking lessons I say "I havnt had one lesson" so it makes me look better :P

I still never had a lesson cause I would have to pay for em, probably, and I cant afford them so yeah.