I just bought a Big Muff, and is it a fuzz or a distortion. I've heard different things from different people. Thanks in advance.
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Please forgive what maybe a noob question, but: What is an "FU"?
Quote by Scumbag1792
Guitar = Bad
for Bass = Great tone for fuzz

Guitar=AWESOME
Bass=Awesome is you don't want low end.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Scumbag1792
Guitar = Bad

are you serious?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
well, I think I consider it fuzzy sounding.
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Quote by Scumbag1792
Guitar = Bad

thefitz shall harpoon you and steal all your internetz for that.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The Big Muff Pi is classified as a Fuzz. Fuzz is defined as analog distortion. I hope that helps out.

If you like the Muff you should check out Frantone's stuff. They used to work for Electro Harmonix and have made a series of fuzz pedals based on the Muff but with obvious upgrades to take care of some of the issues you guys just mentioned.
thanks
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Quote by aberrant
The Big Muff Pi is classified as a Fuzz. Fuzz is defined as analog distortion.

I've always heard it wasn't a true fuzz and therefore a sort of fuzz/distortion.
Big Muff =/= fuzz. I'd describe it as somewhere in between fuzz and distortion.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Yeah, that's putting it nicely.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yeah, it's somewhere in the middle of fuzz and disto.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The originals are fuzz but the newer ones have a more distorted sound
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Sigh...fuzz pedals create distortion. It's kind of like the OD vs. Distortion pedal argument. They all do the same thing, just to different degrees and in different ways. A fuzz pedal, however, always has clipping diodes and usually a very simple circuit, both of which the big muff has. You can argue about what it sounds like, but schematic-wise, it is 100% fuzz.
Its a distortion, its not even marketed as a fuzz, its marketed as a distortion, no where does it say fuzz, it doesnt even sound like a fuzz. Just a driven sound with a bit of a harsh edge.

DISTORTION RAWR.
Quote by Roc8995
Sigh...fuzz pedals create distortion. It's kind of like the OD vs. Distortion pedal argument. They all do the same thing, just to different degrees and in different ways. A fuzz pedal, however, always has clipping diodes and usually a very simple circuit, both of which the big muff has. You can argue about what it sounds like, but schematic-wise, it is 100% fuzz.

This is correct. It bugs me when people get finicky about this kind of stuff. It's a kind of distortion that is very unique. Just like it says, it's a pi distortion, so that's what I call it.
Quote by Roc8995
Simple circuit maybe, but the Fuzz Face doesn't use clipping diodes, and if my memory serves me right neither does the ToneBender?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
... It was first marketed as a sustainer with low distortion content

But yes, it's kind of a hybrid.
And loads of distortion circuits use clipping diodes you know... not all cascade transistor stages. DS1 in case.

The Muff gets its distortion by trannies cascading AND clipping diodes.

Nope, fuzzface doesn't use clipping diodes.
All you need to know about the Big Muff is that if you like the way it sounds, who cares what it is?

I personally think it's a box of win.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
All you need to know about the Big Muff is that if you like the way it sounds, who cares what it is?

I personally think it's a box of win.

This is most right.
I think I want one... there seems to be multiple versions out though... vintage? current production? american? russian?!?

What's the differences?

I think I'll just go for the current prod. American..
Quote by beckyjc
Its a distortion, its not even marketed as a fuzz, its marketed as a distortion, no where does it say fuzz, it doesnt even sound like a fuzz. Just a driven sound with a bit of a harsh edge.

DISTORTION RAWR.

it sounds more like fuzz to me. Well, for playing chords it sounds like distortion, but single notes sound fuzzy. Its weird though, it kinda sounds like an overdrive with the sustain control set low. Turn it up between about 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock and its more like a fuzz. Push it further and its like more of a distortion. Thats unusual.

Also, it says in the manual of the USA muff its "the same legendary sound as jimi hendrix" - he used a fuzzbox, didn't he? is that not marketing it as a fuzzbox?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^^Marketing it as a fuzz, sure, but it doesn't sound like "the same legendary sound as Jimi Hendrix" to me.

Quote by Aron81
I think I want one... there seems to be multiple versions out though... vintage? current production? american? russian?!?
From my experience, the vintage (or even Sovtek) Muffs sound much better then the current models.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^Marketing it as a fuzz, sure, but it doesn't sound like "the same legendary sound as Jimi Hendrix" to me.

nor me, that was my point beckyjc said it wasn't marketed as a fuzz. It also sounds extremely fuzz-like on the EHX pedal showcase DVD thing that was in the box when i got mine. I think that guy uses it behind a little bit of tube overdrive, because that makes it sound even more fuzzy, as if the amp is about to break down or something.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 4, 2008,
I have a green sovtek triangle muff (in my profile) and have played the new NY Big Muff PI (actually returned to get the greenie.) They both sound great, but I think the green cuts through the mix better. So personally I do like the older muff's more - but the new one is cool too!
Quote by Blompcube
nor me, that was my point beckyjc said it wasn't marketed as a fuzz.
Well that went right over my head
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Aron81

What's the differences?

I think I'll just go for the current prod. American..

The Sovtek is a little funkier, the American has a little more gain, and the Double can function as a vintagy overdrive on some settings.