I'm looking to get a saxophone but the thing is I don't know the first thing about them. Could anyone give me some things to look for when buying or whats a good saxophone to start with.
yamaha makes good ones...that's what I had when i played, and it sounds pretty good, just make sure it works...i guess
If you're serious, don't get a student model. They cost as much as a decent used one, and sound like shit in comparison. Look for names like Selmer or Yamaha. It also has to do with mouthpieces. Are you looking to play jazz or classical?
I advise getting a used instrument, as they can get pricey fast.
DOWN&OUT
Get a used one, but make sure it still works well. No point in buying a brand new one when first learning.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I've been looking a little and i noticed that their is different types of saxophones. Whats for what???
Quote by bons330
I've been looking a little and i noticed that their is different types of saxophones. Whats for what???

You mean ranges?

Alto, Soprano, Baritone, etc?

Each type of sax has a different range (limit between its highest note and lowest note). The lower the range, the bigger the sax.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Soprano - ...don't do it.
Alto - higher in pitch, is in the key of Eb
Tenor - for real men. In the key of Bb
Baritone - huge, but awesome. dunno what key it's in
Make sure you pronounce it correctly too or else you'll sound like an idiot

Pronunciation-Sax-sa-ma-phone
Join the group!

(link in profile)
check out petethomas.co.uk
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by edcore
Soprano - ...don't do it.
Alto - higher in pitch, is in the key of Eb
Tenor - for real men. In the key of Bb
Baritone - huge, but awesome. dunno what key it's in

As said before, Bari's are in Eb because I've had to translate Tuba music for our Bari player before. (He only needed the key signature and our director was too retarded to tell him he can just look at my key sig.) You'll probably want a Tenor or an Alto. Tenor's were popular lead instruments in early Rock.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls