So I'm gonna teach guitar this summer for some extra cash and I got a call from my first student today.

He's 26 and already plays but wants to lean more. What should I start him on?

I also want to know what I should star new students on.

For new students I got this so far:
String names
tuning
bar chords
open chords
pentatonic/blues scales
chord progression
building songs
theory

anything else I'm missing?
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by angus is god
So I'm gonna teach guitar this summer for some extra cash and I got a call from my first student today.

String names
tuning
bar chords
open chords
pentatonic/blues scales
chord progression
building songs
theory

Well its really hard to say because we don't know anything about your background/experience, or your students.

In general though Ill say this:

you want to assess where the student is, and what his/her goals are, and then come up with a way to guide them there. You have to draw from your own knowledge and experience.

btw do you take lessons yourself? I know when I 1st started teaching, I modeled my approach based on how I was taught. I then developed my own teaching style from there.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well its really hard to say because we don't know anything about your background/experience, or your students.

In general though Ill say this:

you want to assess where the student is, and what his/her goals are, and then come up with a way to guide them there. You have to draw from your own knowledge and experience.

btw do you take lessons yourself? I know when I 1st started teaching, I modeled my approach based on how I was taught. I then developed my own teaching style from there.

Ya, I've been taking lessons for 4 years and I'm my teachers #1 student (better than a 6 and 8 year lessons) so I'm pretty advanced. I'm trying to mold my style around my teachers.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by angus is god
Ya, I've been taking lessons for 4 years and I'm my teachers #1 student (better than a 6 and 8 year lessons) so I'm pretty advanced. I'm trying to mold my style around my teachers.

Cool, Im sure you'll do fine. You will develop your own approach with enough experience. Just keep it at.
Well I'm assuming you left out songs purely as an oversight. Also, depending on the student, reading charts/sight reading would be a good idea.

I'm actually gonna be doing about the same thing over the summer, only got 1 guy so far, but I think I'll be able to find others.
Quote by angus is god

String names
tuning
bar chords
open chords
pentatonic/blues scales
chord progression
building songs
theory

do you think they will know how to string there guitar if there new they won't just throwing it out there
song stuck in my head today