http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW120HS-120W-HalfStack?sku=481416

This is what I'm planning on buying. I just wanted to know what others think about it. I've played it at my local guitar store, and love the high-gain sound out of it. I'm playing through an Ibanez RG350MDX, and it sounded pretty heavy. The clean was pretty good too, but I'm sure it could be better once I actually sit down and mess with the settings a bit. I didn't really like the effects in it, but I plan to go all pedal here soon so I won't have to really worry about those. The only one I will more than likely use is the reverb, but it was good enough for my taste.

Sorry for the whole semi-wall of text, but I just thought I would let my opinions flow on the amp. Also, they are selling it at the shop for the same price. It would actually be cheaper because of the shipping, so I'm happy with that.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
Ok then, point me out to another amp. I don't see what's so bad about it. I played around with it for about an hour or two and didn't think that it sounded all that bad. Definitely not as bad as you guys portray it to be.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
1) how loud did you have the amp?
2) how much money you got to spend?
3) what type of music do you play?
What's the goal? Are you playing with a band? How big are the venues? Or are you just wanting something loud for the next door neighbors who's cat likes to crap on your porch?
every one seems to hate it, so i do to
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by Ghold125
1) how loud did you have the amp?
2) how much money you got to spend?
3) what type of music do you play?

1. I had the amp fairly loud, maybe not loud enough. I'm drag it into the sound room tomorrow so I can have the chance to really crank it.

2. About what this is worth.

3. It's pretty versatile. I play music through the tunings from Drop A to Standard. In reality, I play all kinds of music.

Quote by aberrant
What's the goal? Are you playing with a band? How big are the venues? Or are you just wanting something loud for the next door neighbors who's cat likes to crap on your porch?

Yes, I'm playing in a band, and the venues that we will be playing will probably vary from a school's gymnasium so something smaller. So, I don't need anything ear-drum blowing loud. And yes, I'm wanting something loud enough for the third, except they have been pissing on the outside furniture.

EDIT: Why does everyone have so much hate on this amp? Based on my standards, it's not bad at all. Better than my Cube 30 .
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
never played thru it but i know that for an extra 100 u can get a marshall halfstack which is probably nicer
Solid state halfstacks are a total waste of money, you'd get a better tone from a 30w tube combo and that would be loud enough for anything, especially if you mic it. If you like high gain with nice cleans try the Laney VC30
ohai little sig.
Quote by TeeRav
never played thru it but i know that for an extra 100 u can get a marshall halfstack which is probably nicer

I'm barely able to pay for this, let alone something more expensive.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
give me the number on the amp that his was on, with crapy soild state amps, they start to get harsh clipping when you turn it up to much.

Look at some tube combos
Quote by Nayr303
I'm barely able to pay for this, let alone something more expensive.

Also I assume the Marshall halfstack being referred to is an MG, in which case is an awful mis-investment
ohai little sig.
see everyone just hates on every amp because it doesnt meet their standards. i'll give you both sides on this amp.
this amp will be great for some basement jamming, loud bedroom playing, maybe playing a show at a middle school/high school. the tone isnt amazing, its a solid state, its not that loud, but if your a beginner with a big price range and wanna step it up without going all out, then this amp is fine.

if your expecting this to be like a real half stack and try to play gigs.... then go find a new amp. 120 watts sounds like a lot but 120 solid state watts isnt much for a half stack. if your a more experienced player playing gigs and stuff, definitly get a tube amp and never look at this amp again.

i hope that helps. wow i wrote a lot haha
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by TeeRav

...not
Quote by rage6945
see everyone just hates on every amp because it doesnt meet their standards. i'll give you both sides on this amp.
this amp will be great for some basement jamming, loud bedroom playing, maybe playing a show at a middle school/high school. the tone isnt amazing, its a solid state, its not that loud, but if your a beginner with a big price range and wanna step it up without going all out, then this amp is fine.

if your expecting this to be like a real half stack and try to play gigs.... then go find a new amp. 120 watts sounds like a lot but 120 solid state watts isnt much for a half stack. if your a more experienced player playing gigs and stuff, definitly get a tube amp and never look at this amp again.

i hope that helps. wow i wrote a lot haha

Your first statement pretty much summed up everything I had in mind, in all honesty. I'm not an experienced gigger, at all. Never played a gig, but we're working on getting some songs together and stuff so we can start. That's why I thought that this might be a OK investment.

Of course, I'm not completely sold on it yet. Personally, I think I would be happy with it. Sure, it's not some top of the line tube, but for me it could get the job done.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
I actually don't mind this amp, but the others are right in suggesting there are better amps for the price (although I'm not sure how many there are). Ashdown Fallen Angel if you can find one?

If not, I dunno... used Classic 30 plus overdrive? Honestly it wouldn't be all that bad to get the Flexwave.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Get a Valve King or Classic 30
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/697289144.html That. $450
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/694020258.html Hell yea that. $550 wow.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/669759445.html Or this cheap. $350 cheapo, but not bad...

Based on the price range and the fact that Reverb was your priority with the main effects.

Edit: Just by right the first time and save yourself the trouble later. You can buy good gear cheap if you just try the gear first and look in the right places.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/697289144.html That. $450
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/694020258.html Hell yea that. $550 wow.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/669759445.html Or this cheap. $350 cheapo, but not bad...

Based on the price range and the fact that Reverb was your priority with the main effects.

Edit: Just by right the first time and save yourself the trouble later. You can buy good gear cheap if you just try the gear first and look in the right places.

Wow, great deal on the JCM. I would jump all over that had I not already decided on and ordered a new amp.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yea that one got a wow. I don't see those by me that often. And it's in his price range, so there would be no real reason to replace it later. Just some tubes and speakers at some point.
How about a Bugera 333xl combo ?
3 Channels clean, crunch and lead. You can get a really good high gain tone from it, has a built in noise gate, reverb and presance. It's ALL TUBE and comes in a head or a 2x12 combo.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD