ok so i started sanding the paint on my les paul today with a palm sander and a 100 grit sand paper. when i started alot of clear coat came off but then for the rest of the time thats all i got was clear coat being removed. then i upgraded to a large sander with a 80 grit snad paper hoping it would do a better job. after an hour it didnt even do much of a dent. i let my dad who is a master carpenter look at it and somehow the idiots who painted the guitar put too much clear and paint on the guitar. as a last resort we put a little laquire thinner on it and it help a little.

so what i want to do to get that paint off faster and easier because i still have the other side and the sides to do. would going with a chemical remover be ok? if i put a light coating on it with a brush and let it set for a bit it should work i think. i found this one at walmat that says its safer and specifically removes heavy layers like the ones im having problems with.

so what you guys think?

also why didnt the sanding work? i thought the 100 would work just fine.
I used 60 grit sandpaper to strip a Telecast clean in about 1 1/2 hours. Worked like a charm with palm electric sander. This is from a post I did on another forum:

Well I tried two "heavy duty" paint strippers. They're supposed to strip pretty much anything. I tried the Poly Strippa like I had on my other guitar ... zilch. I then tried the Crica which was marine grade ... zilch. And I mean nothing. I couldn't find any of the Airplane Stripper stuff I've seen discussed.

So I run to the Walmart again, and get some 60 grit sandpaper ... this stuff (supposed to be faster than regular sandpaper):

I should have done that in the first place! I just used my handheld sander:

It worked like a charm. Just keep sanding until you start seeing the color underneath then move to the next spot. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole thing, including breaks. This sandpaper was heavy duty. I only used one sheet for the whole guitar (one sheet makes 4 squares). Then tonight I sanded it down with 100 then 220 grit. It came out really nice. Like I said, I should have done it this way in the first place.

Tonight I can start priming the body. I don't know if it's because it's a Mexican Tele, but anyone who expects to play their guitar until it looks like Joe Stummer better play for a hundred years none stop. That is one mighty strong paint job on there. It's all gone now
sand, sand, and sand some more. no more effective way.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
it cant penatrate deep enough with paintjobs that thick. id rather sand than spill chemicals all over my floor only to have the chemicals fail epically
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I dunno, but I think they paint guitars with the same stuff my first girlfriend used to keep her panties on, I think.

Quote by leader01
ok why doesnt the chemical peeling work?
Quote by JackoMBA
I dunno, but I think they paint guitars with the same stuff my first girlfriend used to keep her panties on, I think.

Props.

*sigged*
------

Shwiggity.
No the paint on a guitar is much thicker than wood furniture. I takes alot of sanding to get it all off. And the stripper stuff isnt going to work with it this thick. You want it all off the best way is lots of sanding.
Any reason you can't just leave it to soak in a tray of stripper? Would the wood soak all the stripper up, knackering it?
I just stripped a bass less than a week ago, and I tried stripper, then sanding. No comparison--SAND! I used 60 grit till I got to the wood, then 100 ect up to 600. Im in the process of sealing and priming, then Ill do the fun part--Painting it flourescent orange.
Just sand it man. It takes hours to do a nice sanding job not 1 hour keep going. LoL You sand it for 1 hour and then post on the forum some of it came off but not all of it what do i do?? What a peasant.
yeah, I agree that sanding is definatly the best way to do it - If you stripped it you'd have to sand it anyway, And if it was me i'd probably sand it rather than farting about with nasty chemicals that are bound to be unhealthy, not to mention flammable. I'm just curious.
No Im going to imagine soaking a wooden guitar body in a vat of chemical stripper will not be very good for the body at all. Its not a screw up when they painted the guitar its just very thick and takes alot of sanding to completely take it off. I spent 2 hours with a electric palm sander yesterday getting the body of a neck thru down to bare wood and there is still some sanding to do. There are no shortcuts. Do it right or it comes out half ass.
No shortcuts? what about one of these (i can't remember what they're called, i'd get the picture a smaller size, But I don't know how...)?
A plane? I don't think one of those would work very well. An electric palm sander will do nicely
No thats not a plane a type of file attaches to the bottom for quick removal of wood. I want to say the file is a rasp. A plane has the adjustable blade. But it would be really easy to go to deep with one of those and take out wood instead of paint.
its not really easy to take out wood, its inevitable. if u use that u WILL ruin the wood underneath. bad news.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking