The "Thunderbirds are the devil bandwagon" bothers me. It is NOT a bad bass. OK, it has some minor problems:

* neck dive - this can be easily fixed with a good strap and messing around with the strap buttons.

* one-trick-pony - well, If I'm only gonna play the TB in my rock band, so what?

Right now I'm seriously considering buying one, just for the looks. There, I said it. I want to buy a Thunderbird, because it looks cool.

So why the ridicule, dear Bass forum? I haven't said it's a good bass but it gives me the good solid rock tone I want and gets the job done. Stop teasing Thunderbirds
im sure there were several posts already existing in which to make you case for the thunderbird, not sure it merits its own post like this, but whatever.

a good strap doesn't always fix neck dive, and not sure how your really gonna "fool with the buttons"

if you want one, get one, don't listen to other people ridicule and put downs if your set on it. still not sure the purpose of this thread though, its seems like your just posting to say how much of a rebel you are, but i could be wrong, its been known to happen.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
if it feels good do it

not because it looks good, thats just a bonus

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by Lendorav
The "Thunderbirds are the devil bandwagon" bothers me. It is NOT a bad bass. OK, it has some minor problems:

* neck dive - this can be easily fixed with a good strap and messing around with the strap buttons.

* one-trick-pony - well, If I'm only gonna play the TB in my rock band, so what?

Right now I'm seriously considering buying one, just for the looks. There, I said it. I want to buy a Thunderbird, because it looks cool.

So why the ridicule, dear Bass forum? I haven't said it's a good bass but it gives me the good solid rock tone I want and gets the job done. Stop teasing Thunderbirds

I love your sig

I'd buy it for the looks too, actually, if I played bass.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
You forgot the fret access (or lack thereof). Take that into consideration as well.

One shouldn't buy a bass for looks. If you do, you are missing the point entirely. And birds don't look that cool.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
name two successful bass players, that play a T-Bird, that have not been in rehab, in the last ten years.

Entwistle did, but his tone was pretty **** a lot of times. And he put on a Fender neck.
Quote by crazypeanutman
a good strap doesn't always fix neck dive

Why not?
and not sure how your really gonna "fool with the buttons"

Umm you know, messing around meaning adjusting.
still not sure the purpose of this thread though, its seems like your just posting to say how much of a rebel you are, but i could be wrong, its been known to happen.

Yup, you're pretty much right

Actually I was hoping that everybody would be like "yeah get it" so I could get some piece of mind. Because the Thunderbird has a ridiculously bad reputation in UG
Quote by IndianRockStar
You forgot the fret access (or lack thereof). Take that into consideration as well.

Yeah, like I'm gonna need to play the 20th fret a lot in a rock band
One shouldn't buy a bass for looks. If you do, you are missing the point entirely. And birds don't look that cool.

I'm not buying it JUST for the looks. Throw on a set of fresh Rotosounds and it has somewhat of a cool rock tone which I like.
And birds don't look that cool.

Yes they are, shut up!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
name two successful bass players, that play a T-Bird, that have not been in rehab, in the last ten years.

shit.
Last edited by Lendorav at Jun 3, 2008,
As a longtime gibson/epi lover, I am saddened admit that they are not the best instruments around, but it is a true musician that can take sub-par instruments and make them sing.

In other words, go for it, but make sure you can deal with the flaws. Certain forum members (I will not mention any fitz-based names) are driven insane by certain flaws. Make sure you are not one of them before buying the bass.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I would rather have a really B.A. looking BC Rich if you are buying it for looks and not for sound. Personally I wouldn't want to buy a bass just to look cool.
~Insert Signature Here~
Quote by Gibsocam
I would rather have a really B.A. looking BC Rich if you are buying it for looks and not for sound. Personally I wouldn't want to buy a bass just to look cool.

not only that, but BC Richs don't have a bunch of crappy design flaws and sound pretty good if you get a decent one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
No-one really cares, at the end of the day, what basses you buy. It's your money. The instruments I own probably aren't to everyone's taste either. What we do when someone asks about a particular instrument or amp or whatever is point out the flaws and potential downsides of said item, so that the user can see past "It looks cool" and "My hero plays it" and think critically about what they want in an instrument. If you want it despite it's well-documented design faults, then by all means go and buy one, and subsequently share your own experience of owning one. But for fucks sake don't bother with posting an "I think I'll get one despite what you guys say" thread because we don't care and it just looks like a big "up yours" to those of us who take the time to explain what we think of gear and share our experiences of hearing, playing and buying a lot of junk.
Quote by kranoscorp
As a longtime gibson/epi lover, I am saddened admit that they are not the best instruments around, but it is a true musician that can take sub-par instruments and make them sing.

Not necessarily. I think musical instruments are one of the few things that don't have the "a good workmen never blames his tools" rule applied to them. If an instrument is fundamentally flawed in it's design, then it can be near unplayable. For example, a trumpet that has a habitually sticking valve (this comes from personal experience. A valve that won't unstick or release immediately makes the trumpet impossible to play).

And Lendorav, if you want it, get it. No-one's going to hunt you down and burn it in front of you. I agree with Boyce, and add that this thread is bordering a trolling thread.

And on the neck dive/strap point, a strap won't fix neck dive. Straps improve weight distibution on the shoulder, and comfort, but won't stop one side of the pivot point being heavier than ther other.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

Shavo Odadjian (SOAD)

& Jeordie White/Twiggy Ramirez (Manson, NIN, APC)

Not a particular fan of either, but I don't think either have been to rehab

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
As much as I despise Gibson and Epi basses, they obviously appeal to someone because they have been around for a long time in the Gibson line and they continue to show up in the Gibson catalogue year after year. Someone is buying these and keeping Gibson's profit line going.

If you like the bass and the issues most of us have with them don't bother you, then its your money and Gibson/ Epi's gain.

But I have read through this thread and the first post several times, and I think this could have easily been posted in one of the more frequent of a dozen threads on this subject as a comment. Yes, a segment of the bass forum likes Tbirds; yes a large group of us don't. Does it matter? No, in the long run it doesn't make it a better or worse forum.

Sorry I'm closing the door and throwing away the key on this thread.