Well, my dad (who has been mid-life crisis-ing) bought a synthesiser recently and I've wanted to learn Piano for a really long time. My dilemma is, I don't know where to start! I also have a Fender Rhodes (my dad's as well) and I would really like having an understanding (even slight) of these instruments. I'd love to incorporate these into my band. Any help from and UG piano players would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this thread, 'The Pit' just didn't seem appropriate

EDIT: I know this will take time and dedication, I just need a little boost or whatever.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
buy a book?

take lessons?

if your dad has two sets of keys im assuming he knows? ask ..... him?

root 3rd 5th is basic chord shape... you do know your scales right?

2212221 - major. and those numbers are 1/2 steps, semi-tones.. ect
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
I know a few scales and I know basic chord shapes and all of that, I guess I'll try to learn how to read sheet music a little better first off.

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
I will look into lessons, but I'm not even sure how my dad ended up with the Rhodes. He can play a few tunes but he's not too terribly great. Thanks for the words of advice everyone!

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
Try learning the notes for the keys.
also try to learn the different chords.

after that find piano songs that you really like, then look them up in songbooks at your library or online. Youtube also provides a bunch of videos on how to play popular piano songs.
or shell out the money and find a good piano teacher.

teaching yourself is hard, but it can be done. I taught myself and I now know a bunch of Elton John Songs.

Cheers!
One of my friends' dad has never had any music lessons in his life, but we were having a jam over at his place the other day, and his dad was cranking out some seriously funky keyboard jams. He was completely holding everything there together, so it definitely is possible to become good at keyboards without a teacher.

Of course, it would probably be easier with one, so if you could get your hands on an instructor, I would recommend it.

Also, if you do end up getting a teacher, try to find one that would suit your style. It would make more sense to find a keyboardist (is that the right word?) who is very well-versed in psychedelic-style electric organs as opposed to classical harpsichord, if you wanna play crazy, 30 minute long, drug-induced organ solos.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
I kinda wanted to do a Muse kinda thing, or just go keyboarding during a song (ala Jonny Greenwood) but of course, these are only influences of mine. I will look into getting a teacher, until then I'll look up some songs and just try to get a natural feel for the instrument. Cheers!

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20