I play guitar aswell as bass but tapping is from what i have tried much easier on the guitar. How do you do it on bass? I feel like a noob.
same as guitar just takes more force, its not that useful tho, except for a bass solo where its the only instrument
I'll let you know next monday, my bass teacher's giving me lessons on double-handed tapping to play Bohemian Rhapsody and Moonlight Sonata.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Same way you would on guitar.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by CNC-Digity
Same way you would on guitar.

Yes and no. A different approach to the same effect. With guitar tapping you can fly anywhere and everywhere. With bass, you have to adapt the technique so it doesn't become muddy or clanky- which tapping with much bigger strings is liable to do.
Quote by fiend89
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BS0x1GyLKlM
Bass tapping at its finest

Oh, I can feel less disheartened at my crapness of this technique so far, it's Billy Sheehan, he's got the power of time manipulation to speed himself up.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Just work on it daily, search around youtube if you dont know how to properly do it. At first I was confused but just constant practicing of tapping eventually I was able to do Protest the Hero songs like Bloodmeat and Sequoia Throne (my band covers them).
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Just work on it daily, search around youtube if you dont know how to properly do it. At first I was confused but just constant practicing of tapping eventually I was able to do Protest the Hero songs like Bloodmeat and Sequoia Throne (my band covers them).

im actually trying to learn Bloodmeat at the moment. how hard do you think it is?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
hey, I've got a question I've been meaning to ask here, I suppose it's better to ask it here than start a new thread, but What's everyone's oppinion on tapping with your fretting hand over the fretboard (herman li style!) with regards bass tapping? Is it acceptable technique?
Quote by systematic_nois
im actually trying to learn Bloodmeat at the moment. how hard do you think it is?

It's just scales, it's pretty unnessicary(sp?) to tap if you can play that fast, but it also gives a certain tone.
If your tapping's decent i wouldn't see it as being too hard, given a few hours solid practice.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
same as guitar just takes more force, its not that useful tho, except for a bass solo where its the only instrument

that sir is a matter of opinion. When I used to cover All Along the Watchtower, I had a tapping bit that when with the main riffs of the song. Made things very melodic.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
My bud just got his bass and I'm teaching him (even though I play guitar). Tapping riffs require a little more pressure on bass obviously due to the increased gauge and also it's harder to stretch and I can't do some tapping licks like Four Seasons on bass. Easier stuff is quite doable, though.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Dimebag06Darrel
My bud just got his bass and I'm teaching him (even though I play guitar). Tapping riffs require a little more pressure on bass obviously due to the increased gauge and also it's harder to stretch and I can't do some tapping licks like Four Seasons on bass. Easier stuff is quite doable, though.

No offence, but I think your friend is better off being taught by a bassist. But if that's not doable, don't teach him with the guitarist mentality.
IF you can get a hold of Stu's "Slap, Pop & Tap For The Bass", its a good instructional DVD. There used to be parts of it out on You Tube but they were pulled in the last month or so.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No offence, but I think your friend is better off being taught by a bassist. But if that's not doable, don't teach him with the guitarist mentality.

Dude I'm teaching him picking and proper technique. I can't show him bass-only **** like slap bass or whatever, but I can still show him enough to get him going. Then he can go my route and practice/use internet to advance his skill.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Naw, it's best if you teach him, I don't really think the Net is a good place to learn, unless you're ordering books.
I didn't have anyone teach me... just hours and hours of practice and looking stuff up online and I ended up pretty decent. I'm not Petrucci or Gilbert level but I haven't been playing for many years, either.