I was wondering what type of strings i should have on my Epiphone Hummingbird. I am currently useing Elixer LIght ultra thin nanoweb coating 80/20 bronze strings. Now I want a better sound quallity. The type of sound i want is like Howie day, secondhand serenade and the Scene Aesthetic type acoustic sounds. Now I like light strings but i was wondering if Martin Accoustic SP extra light strings would be a good choice because i heard they were really light and had good soung quallity. And whats the difference between light and heavy strings like sound wise. thanks
It's not possible to really say "these strings sound like ________"(insert band name). The way the guitar is made plays such a larger role that you may never be able to imitate the sound of those bands unless you use the exact same guitar and strings. even then, you might not get their sound.

Martin SPs are great strings. D'addario are favoured by many as well.

Personally, I would advise to stay away from extra light strings. anything lower than custom light(.011) is a definite nono for me. This is because lighter strings are easier to play out of tune by applying more than necessary pressure. I generally suggest that people use lights(.012).

In terms of tonal quality, it really once again depends on your guitar and guage. it changes way too much to really tell you. Generally, lighter strings are brighter with less sustain while thicker strings are usually a bit fuller with more sustain.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
try using d'addario ej16 lights.. the gauage is from 0.53-0.12 .. it's got a good balance between bright and warm tones, imo.. feels good too from plucking to strumming or picking.. try it..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
for a martin, i would use phosphor bronze. my favorite are dean markley. martin brand are good too.

try to up your guage. it will improve sound.
what
I used to use Martin 80/20 Lights for some time, tried John Pearse Lights a few times by suggestion, plus whatever comes with the Yamaha FG730S but now I use D'Addario EXP Phospher Bronze Light/Custom Lights. The D'Addarios are by far the best of those. I don't have any experience with Elixirs but I understand they're good.

I think I'll start a poll.
It's not possible to really say "these strings sound like ________"(insert band name). The way the guitar is made plays such a larger role that you may never be able to imitate the sound of those bands unless you use the exact same guitar and strings. even then, you might not get their sound.

Agreed.

The perfect match of guitar and strings is different from one guitar to another. I suggest good ol' trial and error.
I went with going up a gauge and getting phosphor bronze D'addario medium strings and they improved it alot and i love the sound thanks guys for all the help
sure.. you're welcome. by the way, the d'addario ej16 lights are also phosphor bronze..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R