I got a question I am not too intelligent with the mechanics of an electric guitar.
I just got a Fender 72 Custom Telecaster on Friday. She is a beauty, but out of nowhere today, while playing acoustic she started to crack like hell. Now what I did was I played "Pipeline" and she didn't crack once. Once I started to strum chords both power chords and the regular chord with the harder I strummed the more it cracked. So single note it didn't crack but multi note it does. I was mostly playing with a little distortion, and maybe I just didn't hear it before. So my question is what would cause this cracking.
I plugged in my Gibson Les Paul to see if it was the cable but it was fine no cracking only the Fender is doing this.
So again what causes this? should I send it back or is it an easy fixing?
Thanks

Proper-Burial
might be a grounding problem, or a loose wire at the input jack.

check that the two wires are running to the jack. if they are, and you're sure it's the guitar (try the guitar thru a different amp, or move the amp to a different room) then you'll probably want to send it back.

imo, finding a loose ground is a pain in the ass.

i was able to quiet a clicking guitar by shielding it with foil. but it's a new guitar. i doubt id want to go thru the bother.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
By crack I'll assume you mean crackle.

Anyway, that's a characteristic of single-coil pickups that really can't be fixed... just get used to it (namely use the pickup selector to have more than one pickup selected at the same time) or get "noiseless" single-coils.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
humming? or crackle? cause crackle when you touch certain parts is grounding problems.

single coil hum is different.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Raijouta
By crack I'll assume you mean crackle.

Anyway, that's a characteristic of single-coil pickups that really can't be fixed... just get used to it (namely use the pickup selector to have more than one pickup selected at the same time) or get "noiseless" single-coils.

Sir,
The Fender had a single coil but also has a Humbucker, this Fender gives you the ability to use both the single coil or the Humbucker or both at the sametime, anyway I play it through an amp either single coil or Humbucker or both it crackles.
But like I said if I hit single notes it does not do this, but if I hit multi notes at once the harder I strum the louder and worse the crackle is.
it's electronic tho right? not mechanical buzz?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well that part I'm unsure of like I said, I am not to knowledgeable of the mechanics of an electric guitar. So I heard this problem I check the amp it's fine, I checked the cable it's fine. I took out my Gibson and use the same cord same amp not a crackle. Plugged the Fender back in and it crackled. So I just don't want to send it back get a new one and have the same problem. So that's what made me think about a post here to get info on it. Someone said above that it is the single coil pick and most of them do this. But if I flip the switch and use the humbucker pick up it still does the crackle, because it's a deeper sound you can't hear it as loud as when I use the single coil. Someone also said above it might be the ground. So I have a question are ground easy for someone to fix, and inexpensive? If it is only that I could take it to the local music store and have them fix it only if it's inexpensive
if you dont know if it's mechanical, then maybe it's just fret buzz.

where the strings are rubbing a fret. which causes a buzzing noise.

if you dont plug the guitar into an amp at all and can still hear the noise while you strum, then raise the strings a little at the bridge, using a tiny allen wrench, on the two pegs, at the front face of each saddle, of each buzzing string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62