Page 1 of 2

No, I quit, I don't take **** like that back.
This band was started as a pasttime. Something to do cause it was fun, it was fun to play music together and hang out. But you have turned it into a job. I used to be excited for the next band practice, but recently, I ****ing hate waking up and thinking that there's a practice that day. I'm done with this band. You don't listen to me, 'cause here is the truth. When we played that show, WE SUCKED!!!!!!!! We sounded like ****, and nobody has enough balls to say it. So I'm saying it now. It sucked and you don't realize that we're not ready for more shows. The Bean Counters, I never wanted to do that one. You signed us up for it. The June 14th show, Eric signed us up for that. And you know all I ever hear you and him talk about is the next show, or how we are so great. Well right there, you always talk about how Joe is a cocky bastard when it comes to his band. Take a look in the mirror. And you always make fun of our songs. You know I always try telling you guys that each one of you sound good, I always try that cause I'm on the other side. Rehersals, shows, the time when your parents sat in on the practice.
It ****ing sucked for me cause all I ever heard was, "wow Jordan, good drumming. Matt, you sing Teenagers ****ing awsome, damn Eric, Torn is the best song" at the end of the list. I never hear anything that tells me that I'm doing good, all I hear is silence and that's as bad as telling me I suck. And Eric is another thing. He never quits bitching about how he needs his P.A. or how he needs this. ****ing sorry that he has to make a sacrifice for the band for once. I mean not to sound self-centered, but you know I've been ****ing poor since Janurary cause I spent all MY money for this band. I gave up my garage to the band. And all the **** i told you earlier. Eric and you get on my nerves so ****ing fast I feel sick when I begin to hear you guys bitch about something. But this message is long enough. I QUIT, NO TAKING IT BACK, I'LL CALL WHEN YOUR DRUMS ARE DOWN AND YOU CAN PICK THEM UP, SAME WITH ALL OF ERICS ****. YOU TWO DECIDE HOW ALL THE STOLEN **** IS DIVIDED. And I feel the most sorry for Matt, 'cause he hasn't been in this band long enough to piss me off, so all the blame is with you and Eric.

I quit.

So, the rhythm guitarist/vocalist sent this to my drummer, and he forwarded it to me. I think it's in the better interest of the band that he left. If he has an attitude like that, he really wasn't meant to be in a band. What I don't understand is how he said he is broke when almost all of our equipment is stolen.

For the "WE SUCKED!!11one!!" part, the reason is pretty much because he is a horrid vocalist. I mean it. Click this and listen to "Bitter." That's him.

So, your thoughts?

Edit: I'm Matt.
Last edited by astro0930 at Jun 3, 2008,
you guys all sound a bit like assholes BUT....i don't know you guys or the real story so i can't really say much. but yeah litting him quit is a good decision because he's not happy with the band and you can't have someone in a band that doesn't want to be it would only hurt you guys
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Nope. Just him. We're all basically laid back. Except for him.

Edit:Nevermind.

None of us are really sure if he's actually being serious. He's done stuff similar to this, but nothing quite so extreme before.
You're right, he is a pretty bad singer. He's just completely off key the whole time. It sounds like there is no structure at all to the vocal melody, as if he's making it up as he goes so it ends up being off key. The only thing worse than a bad vocalist is a bad vocalist trying to make a melody to a song.

Have you guys done any covers? Maybe he would be able to sing better if he heard someone else sing the song first.

I do agree with him that the band shouldn't be like a job. When it's not fun anymore, it should stop. If you know for a fact that you're close to a record deal, then go ahead, treat it like a job. But I'm guessing that's not the case. I don't know the whole story though, he's probably just overreacting.

Based on what I've read, I'd say he's overreacting and you definitely don't need him.
Quote by shortyafter
You're right, he is a pretty bad singer. He's just completely off key the whole time. It sounds like there is no structure at all to the vocal melody, as if he's making it up as he goes so it ends up being off key. The only thing worse than a bad vocalist is a bad vocalist trying to make a melody to a song.

Have you guys done any covers? Maybe he would be able to sing better if he heard someone else sing the song first.

I do agree with him that the band shouldn't be like a job. When it's not fun anymore, it should stop. If you know for a fact that you're close to a record deal, then go ahead, treat it like a job. But I'm guessing that's not the case. I don't know the whole story though, he's probably just overreacting.

Based on what I've read, I'd say he's overreacting and you definitely don't need him.

Yeah, at the last show we played, we had 8 covers and 3 originals. It didn't help being able to hear someone else. He ****ing mutilated "All the Small Things." I mean, even if we had the recording on our Myspace, I wouldn't link to it. I'd get charged with mass ear rape.

We believe he is seriously tone deaf. He always plays flat; and as you said, he seems to sing in no specific key.
Quote by astro0930
What I don't understand is how he said he is broke when almost all of our equipment is stolen.

Why did you steal equipment?

Quote by astro0930
For the "WE SUCKED!!11one!!" part, the reason is pretty much because he is a horrid vocalist. I mean it.

Yes he is a terrible singer but sorry that is not the only reason. The backing vocals were terrible and the tone of the main guitar was terrible (far too sludgy and distorted). You guys aren't very tight as well.

I think considering how angry he is and how poor his singing is, it's best if he stays out of the band.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
^I agree with Baba O'Riley (can I call you 'Babs'? )
Although, I must just mention that I can kinda see the singers point, even though he sounds like a right whiny little sod.
My own band split up for 12 months a while ago because it had turned into a job and was no longer fun, and this had caused no end of arguments.
We got back together a year later because we really missed each other (and to be honest, we'd got an offer for a gig for so much money, we really couldn't refuse it) and we agreed then that whatever happens, we'd keep it fun.
As the old musician's saying goes, 'if it ain't fun, there's no point in doing it'!

Anyhow Matt, (or do you prefer astro0930?) stick with it, things can only improve musicwise, but as for the stealing? Well let me just mention that musicians who have their stuff stolen from them view it in the same way as cowboys used to view horse thieves. (which was a hanging offence)
Musical equipment is the tools of our trade, steal someones gear and you might just be preventing that guy's family from eating properly that week.
I would seriously advise you to get rid of it, preferably by returning it to it's rightful owner if that's at all possible.
Just hope to god that no one recognises their gear at a gig of yours, because you will get caught out one day, and you'd better hope the police catch you before any musicians do.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 5, 2008,
yeah seriously he sounds like someone that can't be trusted or counted on. screw that crap.

btw, Matt you live like 30 minutes or so from me.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I second Slack Babbath on stealing instruments/gear.

If someone sees their guitar being played by someone who isn't them, you're going to be lucky if they call the police. They're in a band, remember. That means there's several people who will suddenly have a very good reason to put you in hospital and reclaim their gear.
I hope you mean your gear was stolen from you. If you have been nicking peoples gear then you deserve what is possibly coming to you.
Look, red text
And on an unrelated note, I'd advise you to keep that Line 6 fund at a steady $0 and look for something better.
I didn't have take any part in the stealing of the gear. All the stuff we have they stole before I was a member of the band. They took it from the middle school, not from other musicians. I wasn't even aware any of it was stolen until a few days ago.

Quote by Rhythm Guitarist/Vocalist
Okay, well now there's just a bunch of changes. I'm still in I guess.

He just sent me that. I'm not sure why he's back; I think our drummer Jordan talked him back into it. But he's definately not the best vocalist and guitarists grow on trees around here. I'm gonna talk to the rest of the band and see what they would think about not having him back. We have a place to practice, enough gear, and everything else we need to go on without him.
I wouldn't want to be in a band with people that would steal gear.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by astro0930
I didn't have take any part in the stealing of the gear. All the stuff we have they stole before I was a member of the band. They took it from the middle school, not from other musicians. I wasn't even aware any of it was stolen until a few days ago.

*facepalm*

Who do you think uses the bloody equipment?
It was thrown about in some back room. Supposedly it looked like "it wasn't being used."
^ thats a piss poor excuse. trust me, give the gear back. karmas a b!tch and you'll find out in an incredibly harsh way if you don't.
*facepalm*

Who do you think uses the bloody equipment?

thats a piss poor excuse. trust me, give the gear back. karmas a b!tch and you'll find out in an incredibly harsh way if you don't.

^^ These.

Pretty ****-head thing to do and if you're using the equipment that you know is stolen you're just as guilty as the people who actually removed it from the school.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Well, his voice is pretty weak as are the songs, from what I've listened to.

From the way he was speaking, it seems to me like he's more interested in music as a hobby rather than something that he wants to work at, and that justifies his poor musical performance, as far as i'm concerned.

There's nothing worse than band members that constantly tell eachother how good they are, though, so i'd definitely quit that before everyone else begins to hate you.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Well let me just mention that musicians who have their stuff stolen from them view it in the same way as cowboys used to view horse thieves. (which was a hanging offense)

Exactly so. In case you didn't catch that the first time: Hanging Offense!!!

It doesn't matter if it was stolen from a person or from a school . . . . actually, I think a school might be worse. Those are the instruments and gear that kids learn how to play on in the first place, so your bandmate has basically stolen some kid's musical education.

Just return the gear, don't say anything, and hope to high heaven that you're never found out.

I was ready to offer some sympathy until I read the part about stolen gear. Seriously, some of us work our asses off to buy our gear. Its shame to think theres people out there who will steal gear and talk like its not big deal.
Okay, I went to the middle school today and told the people at the office I'd buy the amp from them. They didn't know it was missing already. So I gave them $80 and left. It's a shame my bandmates won't do the same.
Quote by astro0930
Okay, I went to the middle school today and told the people at the office I'd buy the amp from them. They didn't know it was missing already. So I gave them $80 and left. It's a shame my bandmates won't do the same.

I feel bad for you man but that was the right thing to do. You definitely need to talk to your bandmates and get this sorted out. They should be the ones paying, not you. At least the middle school has been taken care of, so now your bandmates can give money directly to you if this does get sorted out.

I'm not sure how much equipment they stole, but if it was any more than the one amp then they need to either return the equipment or pay their share. And they need to pay you your $80 back too. If they're not willing to do that then I'd seriously consider leaving. You're new to the band so it wouldn't be a huge deal, and bassists are always in demand. You'll be able to to find another band easily.

Anyway, good job man, that was very mature of you.
Last edited by shortyafter at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
^I agree with Baba O'Riley (can I call you 'Babs'? )

Only if I can call you Slacks.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by astro0930

Good move, there's hope for you yet.
I realise it's non of your fault and it was the other guys who took the gear befor you even joined the band, but seriously, you don't wanna be found guilty by association. If you are using stolen gear, whether you stole it or not, you are still guilty of receiving stolen goods, unless of course you can prove that you had no knowledge of it being stolen.
Now if I were you, (and this is purely my own opinion) I'd leave that band and go and either put your own band together or join another band, because dishonest guys like that are gonna drag you down eventualy, especialy when you start hitting the road with all the temptation that's out there.
Look at the situation so far, their dishonesty has already cost you $80, and you've only been in the band 5 minutes.
That's not really a good situation to be in when you think about it.

Quote by Baba O'Riley
Only if I can call you Slacks.

It's a deal Babs.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by astro0930
You did the right thing.

Honestly, I'd try to find a new band or start a new band. I wouldn't want to be in a situation that I could get in serious trouble.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I realise it's non of your fault and it was the other guys who took the gear befor you even joined the band, but seriously, you don't wanna be found guilty by association. If you are using stolen gear, whether you stole it or not, you are still guilty of receiving stolen goods, unless of course you can prove that you had no knowledge of it being stolen.

And there's a list of other fun crimes that you can and will be held liable for. Aiding and abetting them in receiving stolen goods, doing it yourself, in fact you could easily be held to be an accessory to the original theft...

Get out of that band, basically.
well you all sound as bad as each other. and the song is pretty boring. but the vocals and guitar are probably the worst part. and wow, that eric guy is ugly.

moving on. leave the band, its shocking.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Your singer sucked/sucks. The band musical structure is way off and you guys stole your gear? I work my ass off to get what I DESERVE you little assholes. Go get a job and **** off with your pathetic story.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Leat
Your singer sucked/sucks. The band musical structure is way off and you guys stole your gear? I work my ass off to get what I DESERVE you little assholes. Go get a job and **** off with your pathetic story.

Read the thread.
Quote by Leat

Chill, man.

Quote by Retro Rocker
Read the thread.

This.
I respect that you went and paid for the amp you're using, that was the right thing to do. You should probably get a reciept (if you didn't) for it, just in case your band members get found out. Atleast it'd cover your ass a bit.

But yeah, to be honest, that all seems like a shambles. I think it'd be a wise move to get out of there before things go further south, and people are always looking for a bassist.

Up to you bud, but I hope you're there because you're having fun. That's the main thing.
Geez, what a bunch of goodie goodies and fairies we have in this thread!

Next stop we hit it was the music shop,
It only took one brick to make that window drop.
Finally we got our own p.a.
Where do you think I got this guitar that youre hearing today?
Hey!

April 29, 1992
Bradley Nowell, Sublime

My old school is the same, they have a bunch of unused/unwanted gear in the back. Honestly we contemplated about taking some of it, because no doubt they would not notice. If its not being used, put it to use!

Oh, and about your singer, yeah, you should really consult with your band about replacing him. From the sound of your recording, he really isn't much of a singer anyways. And if he breeds contempt between bandmates, which I see he quite good at from the start of the thread, why keep him around? Vocalists are the second easiest bandmate to come by.
XD @ his voice
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by TGautier13

Nah, just experienced with what eventualy happens when people get into the habit of taking stuff that doesn't belong to them without permission.
I do agree with putting unused gear to good use however, but it doesn't hurt to ask permission first or even offer them a knock down price for it.
Quote by astro0930

why do i not believe this heart-wrenching tail of woe?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Get out of that band as soon as possible, in all honesty you should just make your own band, get your own equipment together and begin to kick ass
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Nah, just experienced with what eventualy happens when people get into the habit of taking stuff that doesn't belong to them without permission.

You're telling me! When I was 16, I was actually caught stealing CONDOMS from a convenience store, because the old lady behind the counter thought you had to be 18 to buy them.

6 months probation, true story. I just saw everybody jumpin on this dude's nuts because he has some stolen gear, so I decided to get his back.

Nah, we're just musicians. While theft of food, alcohol and unpaid wages might be seen as OK, ripping off of musical instruments...regardless of whether they happen to be being used at that particular time...is just a bit different.

If you disagree, feel free to post me any musical stuffs that you have lying around and aren't using. If you're not using it, you obviously don't need it, even if it's worth money.
Because I have an entire musical auditorium worth of gear and instruments laying around that I don't use?

Okay, some of you look like you're looking for a good healthy debate on this topic, so I'll bite for now. I won't de-rail the thread too much, though.

How is stealing musical gear any different than stealing food, alcohol, or 'unpaid wages'. Just because we usually hold such gear in higher regard than most other things? The fact is it isn't, and I would even say stealing money from someone is a much more criminal offense.

If there was a decent amp or guitar just sitting in front of you, which obviously hasn't been touched in a good while, and you knew no one would know that you took it, you're kidding yourself if you say you wouldn't at least ponder the notion. Either that or you're just a pussy.
Page 1 of 2