Yes I've read the stickies.

Ok,I apparently have $500 in the bank, and $120 in the wallet. I would like to buy one of the G400's, I tried my friends G-310 and it feels good and looks good, but has differences like bolt on/wood/ can't reach all frets easy. He has the red one, and because I want to be original I think I'll get the white one.
What are your opinions on the G400's colors(white?)

Since the guide convinced me EMG's are pointless without a $2k+ amp I won't get EMG model. I'll spend about 360 on one of the G400's and $160~ on the amp.

I play all types of songs, clean, distorted, muffled, whatever.

My friend has the Spider III 15Watt amp, distortion's nice, but the clean sucks so I'd like an amp with some kind of gain/distortion knob/button that can match the "insane" distortion mode on his amp.

Also no tremolo! And on MF why is the white one like $50 less than cherry red?

Sorry for incoherency, it's 11:12 and I'm trying to get replies when I get back from school tomorrow, any questions I'll be happy to answer!
Last edited by AlucardZero at Jun 3, 2008,
do you already have a guitar?
if you do, spend every penny of that money on an amp.
good amps can make bad guitars sound good.
a good guitar can't make a bad amp sound good.
its highly unlikely you'll get a good amp for less than 160.
maybe at least get like a crate v5 or palomino.
good 5 watt tube combos are what you should look at.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
You are a little backwards on the prioritizing of tone, if that's what you are after...

Are you a starter? Because if you are, I'd say save up another 50 bucks and get a Valve Junior and a Bad Monkey, or another 100 bucks to get a Metal Muff, if that is the sound you are after. Do NOT get the spider. I haaaaaaaated my spider 3 months after I bought it. Yeah, its really cheap, but it's cheap for a reason. Don't be deceived by the apparent high gain goodness (which doesn't really exist) in the spider, because you WILL hate it after playing through it for a while.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
do you already have a guitar?
if you do, spend every penny of that money on an amp.
good amps can make bad guitars sound good.
a good guitar can't make a bad amp sound good.
its highly unlikely you'll get a good amp for less than 160.
maybe at least get like a crate v5 or palomino.
good 5 watt tube combos are what you should look at.

+1
I run my £170 Jackson JS30KV through a Peavey 6505+ and it sounds amazing, the amp is far more important that the guitar when it comes to tone
ohai little sig.
g-400's are very nice and the white one's look great.
but definitely prioritize. you need a good amp to make an ok guitar sound good
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
My Ibanez RG2ex1 ($300) sounds deadly thru my B-52 AT112 ($600). Buy a Amp...
My current guitar is all screwed up now, I don't feel like setting it up again, and it's not good at all. It's one I bought at Best Buy like 4 years ago (I've only played one year or less seriously) I've played it through the spider, too and it sounded somewhat better but still kinda crappy.

Anyway, I can probably do 200 on amp and 350 on guitar. I don't want to play my current one any more, to be honest.
Quote by AlucardZero
My current guitar is all screwed up now, I don't feel like setting it up again, and it's not good at all. It's one I bought at Best Buy like 4 years ago (I've only played one year or less seriously) I've played it through the spider, too and it sounded somewhat better but still kinda crappy.

Anyway, I can probably do 200 on amp and 350 on guitar. I don't want to play my current one any more, to be honest.

I'm gonna guess Fender Starcaster, then pre-emptively laugh at you.

Rolands seem to be good amps, from what I've heard (check out Cubes). I'm looking into a G-400 also, and I'm thinking 1966 Limited Edition for me. Check it out on musiciansfriend, seems pretty legit.
You have quite a lot of options. Are you positive you want the G-400? If so, then I would probably say a Vox AD15VT since I don't know a lot about amps. Maybe you could get an Ibanez RG2EX1 since you seem to want a heavier tone and its a great guitar. You also raise your guitar money by buying a Roland Microcube which is a quite a good practice amp, and then buy a Fender MIM Strat, or Les Paul Standard. If you don't mind refurbished guitars, you could get a B-Stock Les Paul Standard online at Musician's Friend for about $320. I suggest you go to a store with a list of guitars you want to try as well as amps and then choose.
It's not a starcaster, it's probably even worse, it's some HOB-E Washburn. Now, I'm not necessarily looking for a heavier tone, but an all around tone that works for every kind of playing. I need a decent none-swashy/echoing clean channel UNLIKE the Spider III. I looked at the Roland 20x, and it has an 8" speaker, does the size of speaker matter that much?

And can someone tell me why the red G-400 is $50 more than alpine white?
Last edited by AlucardZero at Jun 4, 2008,
What amp do you have now? Do you see yourself gigging anytime soon?

It doesn't make sense to go from one practice amp to another.

I'm going to suggest you go used. What state do you live in?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
New York, right now I have a crappy 8watt amp that I got w/ the guitar that I bought. It's useless. No gigging anytime soon.
Valve Junior?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣