Page 1 of 3
I think this is the right forum correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing that brought me into it was Mick Thompson from Slipknot, I don't know how, he just inspired me. I started when my older borther started playing bass. His freind would come over and bring his guitar sometimes and he would leave it at my house so I would go down and play. Then he kind of quit bringing the guitar over so i started getting into the bass, but that kind just burst into flame and I never bought one. Then one day on a trip to Fargo, where our music store is located, I went to the music store(Red Star Guitar & Drum) and picked out a Jackson JS30RR Rhoads almost bought an ESP F-50 Electric Guitar(thank god I didn't I love my Rhoads) and since I've been playing(almost 7 months)

That's my story now post yours.
I like Mick Thomsons image. Very cool, laid back, badass guy. He didn't get me into guitar though. I had wanted to play ever since I was....5 maybe? And I never actually did anything about it till I was about 11 or 12. The first band, according to my parents and my memory, that I ever heard was Van Halen.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I was in a field hospital in Vietnam, and the surgeon who pulled shrapnel out of my face had an old gibson acoustic. He showed me around the thing. First thing I did when I got off the plane in Dallas was go out and buy one.

Ahhh.... those were the days...
Quote by HORSEBACK
I was in a field hospital in Vietnam, and the surgeon who pulled shrapnel out of my face had an old gibson acoustic. He showed me around the thing. First thing I did when I got off the plane in Dallas was go out and buy one.

How old are you?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394226

There is a thread on this for Your Biography as a Musician. Probably best suited there. But I have to say nice guitar to start out with, I had a crappy Fender Starcaster. (not a typo)
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Quote by andy331
How old are you?

He's 59, sorry if you didn't want your age revealed.

Never mind I am a jerk. Forget this ever happened. *runs*

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
Quote by HORSEBACK

That sir is metal. Thank you for doing that for our country.

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
Obsolete scene bands taking over in my area.

followed by a listen of TS's "We're not gonna take it"
i heard zztop in my dads pickup truck when i was 3. got my first at age 4 for christmas. as soon as i heard it remember askin my dad. whats making that sound. he said " a guitar" i said i want one that sounds like that! im now 31.

jym
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
My brother gave up and i took his guitar.

funny how thatt works, i did the same thing
In my toddler years, my mom brainwashed me into Aerosmith and classic rock. Mainly Aerosmith, G&R and A7X were my influences. First time I tried to teach myself guitar was around 8 or 9. I said screw that and did other stuff for a while. When I turned 13, I cut my long hair and got official guitar lessons.
Taylor Gang or DIE
"When all Else fails....You're Pretty Much Screwed."

PRS Paul Allender Signature guitar is my baby.
Uhh...would it be pathetic to say from Guitar Hero? Wasted 4 months of my life on plastic before I moved on to the real deal, about four months ago.

Oh, and what inspired me to actually play my guitar was a local battle of the bands. A group younger than me played some Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Slayer quite accurately. I told myself "hell if they can do that, so can I!" i've got a ways to go still =P
I was about 6. My brother came home with Black Sabbath's We Sold Our Souls to Rock and Roll album. Rest is history.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
After escaping the gulag in Siberia, I chopped a tree down with a roundhouse kick. I then collected some of the barbwire that was stuck to my clothes and removed the barbs with my teeth to make strings. I pickedup some bullets and chewed them in my mouth until i made all the parts necessary to create an acoustic guitar. Of course it didn't sound very good, however the tone was radioactive. Upon reaching the far western border of the Soviet Union, I was stopped by KGB Border Guards. I pulled out my makeshift guitar and unleashed a riff that was so explosive, it released the nuclear radiation hidden within the wood of my guitar, melting every guard in sight. I then traveled many days until I got to the Mediterranean Sea, where a traded my handmade guitar to a Greek boat salesmen and finally made the trip across the sea and ocean to Amerika.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
When I was a little kid, I used to play a little guitar that my dad bought me and we would sit and play along with Glen Campbell on TV. This was in the late '60s. I didn't pick up a guitar again 'til about 1981. There were a few classical guitars in the orchestra room at my high school, and I was a fairly dedicated violinist at the time. I discovered that guitar was far more fun to play, and girls liked it more.
Now, I am 42 years old, and I have found that having a dozen guitars in your living room and playing for hours a day is more indicitive of a psychological disorder than anything else.
Chicks do not dig that as much as you might think.
friend of mine played guitar and i would always play along with him on his spare guitars and i finally saw a starter kit for $100 in a store so i said what the hell and got it
I first played my brothers friends acoustic when my brother was learning guitar.About 6 months later he got an electric for christmas.He played it for about 6 months then abandoned it so I took over.Now he hates all the songs that he taught me,and he listens to that crap called 'techno'.
I used to train for the Olympics until I broke my left food litterally in half. I had to stop training and I couldn't do anything for half a year. So I bought a guitar to keep myself busy, and I haven't gone back to Gymnastics ever since. It's been almost two years.
Well, this may or may not sound really, really stereotypical. But it was the music I listen to, Metallica, Megadeth. The one song in particular was "Trust" by Megadeth, I heard it and though I have to be able to play that song.

It's kinda just progressed from there....

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Eh, there was always an acoustic lying around the house when I was young. It belonged to my dad and everynow and then I would just strum it. When I turned 7, they decided to buy me a 3/4 sized acoustic which was much more comfortable. A couple of years later, I got lessons and then I became serious about playing.
A group of friends were all getting guitars so I decided to get one to since I always wanted to learn. We used to all play together and stuff but eventually went seperate ways and joined bands. After my first band I stopped playing for a really long time only to recently pick it up about a year ago.
My friend played guitar and I had nothing better to do.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I took it up for sh*ts and giggles.

Its been almost two years now....
I heard the Van Halen song "Love Walks In" on the radio and it sounded so good, so i checked out more of their stuff and loved it... Soon realized EVH was one of the best frickin guitarists out there. He was my main influence to pick up guitar... After being into rock and metal for nearly 2 years now i have many influences...
I heard Elliot Easton's solo in (Wearing Down) Like A Wheel and tried to imitate it with a broom. Puts me at about 12 I believe...then I got an acoustic from church about 2 years later and I played until I left home at 19. Didn't pick up a guitar to play it again until March of this year and that makes it 16 years between playing . So I'm a n00b again.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
i wanted to be James hetfield, i remember when we first got sky, i must have been about 9 or 10 and seeing the video for enter sandman

got my frst lessons at age 11 and then got my guitar at 12 and have played solidly for about 5years now

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
GUITAR HERO!!!
j/k

led zeppelin and ac dc
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Uhh...would it be pathetic to say from Guitar Hero? Wasted 4 months of my life on plastic before I moved on to the real deal, about four months ago.

Haha basically the same thing for me. I do film related stuff in my free time but i wanted a hobby I could do without needing a bunch of people to help with. I had gotten guitar hero in december and after three months I could play most of the songs on expert and got sick of the song list. My two best friends both play and I said, hey what the heck, I've wanted to for a while now, why not now?

It's only been like two months but I absolutely love it.
i was standing around at school having a smoke, i was already a metal head but i didnt really know of anyone areound that was a metal head so i heard these guys talking about guitars and ****, so for about 2 months i stood there while they talked about guitars then finally i went out and got one, started jamming with them and now im hooked.
I don't know, one day I just said "Mom I wanna play an instrument, something awesome like guitar," I needed a hobby so she gladly bought me one and one year later I'm still playing.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
Quote by andy331
I think this is the right forum correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing that brought me into it was Mick Thompson from Slipknot, I don't know how, he just inspired me. I started when my older borther started playing bass. His freind would come over and bring his guitar sometimes and he would leave it at my house so I would go down and play. Then he kind of quit bringing the guitar over so i started getting into the bass, but that kind just burst into flame and I never bought one. Then one day on a trip to Fargo, where our music store is located, I went to the music store(Red Star Guitar & Drum) and picked out a Jackson JS30RR Rhoads almost bought an ESP F-50 Electric Guitar(thank god I didn't I love my Rhoads) and since I've been playing(almost 7 months)

That's my story now post yours.

Mick Thompson inspires me because I think "Wow, look how much he sucks. Playing the same two power chords over and over. I am glad I don't suck that bad!" Sorry, I couldn't resist this opportunity to hate on him/Slipknot.

But seriously, my grandpa gave me a crappy classical guitar and I liked playing, so I kept doing it and got a better guitar. Metallica inspired me when I was first starting out.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jun 4, 2008,
Van halen and guns and roses... got me into listening to guitar parts in songs.....when i found out the sound was made on the guitar when i was like 11 i got a guitar when i was 12-13.
ive always loved music, been in school band, played music games all over. one day i just decided ill give it a shot, and my parents got me a guitar and ive been going from there.
Clapton
Guns N' Roses
Modest Mouse
CCR/John Fogerty
Tom Petty
State Radio

I just took all the songs from my favorite bands, bought a cheap guitar, and learned 'em all. I just thought it would be fun, and someone had to keep classic rock alive.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Page 1 of 3