Alright guys...i decided im not getting that daron malakian paintjob anytime soon and when i do get my guitar painted, it will be my own design. Anyway....

I got my Ibanez Iceman a while back....and i noticed that glossy finishes are damn hard to take care of lol. And since i dont wanna custom paint it yet....i just wanna put a non glossy finish on it (matte).

NOTE:::MAY BE A NOOBIE QUESTION

Now, what would i have to do? would i have to take the finish and paint off and repaint it and refinish it or anything? or is there a way i could just put on the matte finish without removing any paint lol and how would i do all this.

Thanks
I'm no pro, but one option is to rough up the surface. Then just cover it with matte black lacquer. That is probably what I would do.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
ide go like gunmetal grey like flat as...
like primer colour

and stick in a momentary killswitch for good measure
you can buy matte spray paint. i actually just purchased a matte black spray that is commonly used for floral painting. You should always strip all the paint from your guitar before repainting. Once stripped, sand it with a medium grit sandpaper to remove any leftover finish, then sand with a fine grit. once you have it looking fairly smooth, take a very fine grit sand paper and go over the body in detail for about 30 minutes to an hour and make sure everything is good and smooth. Apply a base primer, let dry, sand with very fine paper, and repeat. then move on to applying your color of choice. once you have the desired color move onto clear coat and apply as many coats as you feel needed. I think my first time I used maybe 12 coats of clear. If you want a matte finish, make sure you get a non-gloss clear coat. Don't skip a clear coat to obtain a matte finish as this leaves the paint of your guitar extremely prone to wear.
Alright.....i need some names of brands of paint, and where i can puck up some matte stuffs plz =)
It would be advisable to pop down you're local spray shop, a car one that is. There'll be one in some back alley run but a grey haired man with a beard playing with his Hornby rail set.

Anywho, they'd be able to mix yo up any colour you like (in the words of Pink Floyd) and in any base. Most people will suggest a nitricellulose base, but if it's just a piss about matte project you can be half arsed, save money and use an acrylic base.

So yes, sand down, not right to the wood, use the current sealer and undercoat as the... well, sealer and undercoat. Primer if needs be, but if you've been a good boy you should have sanded nice and smooth and flat. Then give it several coats of the matte spray. don't spray to thick, especially important with matte paints.

Done. Matte finishes are pretty painless.

- Rich
Quote by thefrigginbob
I'm no pro, but one option is to rough up the surface. Then just cover it with matte black lacquer. That is probably what I would do.

i like the sounds of that =D lol

now....i know id have to take off the strings, but would i have to take off the nobs and pickup selector/pickups?
YES

it takes such a small amount of time, and can save you so much time.

take everything off until it's just the body, nothing else. tape off all your cavities, sand, and paint.
EDIT:

i did my custom bass matte black, and i used Krylon in the standard bomb can.

worked like magic, and looked sick.

then just get a matte or semi-gloss, depending on how much shine you want.

here's how mine turned out, after all was said and done. i didn't sand the finish to polishing, like the tutorial suggests, just aprayed the 3/3/3 coats, and let it cure.

looks great.

------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Fuwbar

now....i know id have to take off the strings, but would i have to take off the nobs and pickup selector/pickups?

Ummmm.... YES! You will need to take out ALL of the electronics, or else how are you going to be able to sand? You will only look a complete and utter knob if you spray over the electronics. Don't rush this, you will only regret it later when looking at your work.

The biggest key to a good finish is the preparation stage, if you rush that or indeed, **** it up, no matter how well the other stages go, the end result will be crap...

Please don't take half-arsed steps... for the sake of the guitar if not your pride...

- Rich