Hello. I have been playing guitar for about 2 years but only picked up my first electric at the start of April this year. I have a 25watt transtube rage 258 peavey. Now, onto the problems/questions: My amp makes a semi-loud buzzing/humming noise whenever my fingers are not on the neck, and whenever I put my fingers on the neck, it makes a semi-loud "tap" noise for a second. When I am playing however, everything is fine because my hands don't leave the neck, no buzz/hum, no "tapping" noise. So basically, this problem isn't horrible. But I'm still interested in seeing if there is anything I can do to fix this.

Or does this just happen to everyones amp after using it for a while?

Thanks everyone.

P.S.: Here's my stuff

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILP100L - Guitar
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVTTRAGE258 - Amp
Last edited by negativnancy at Jun 4, 2008,
Well, it could be a problem with your pickups, (not grounded properly?) but I know that happens to single-coils especially bad. since you have humbuckers, it shouldn't happen EXCEPT when you are playing with a lot of gain on your amp.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Try a noise gate.
You could always shield/re-shield the wires and the control cavity. That usually helps with the humming noises.
Signatures are overrated.
ground
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Sounds like bad grounding.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Sounds like bad grounding.

I don't think it's bad grounding with my guitar actually. Because when I unplugged my guitar while the amp was on, the sound stayed exactly the same, if not got a little louder. I then proceeded to unplug the other end of the cord from the amp, and it became silent even at max gain/volume. I know, now you're thinking it's a cord problem, but I just purchased a brand new gold plated 1/4" monster cable. So I doubt that's it. Any more ideas on what could be causing the noise?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-Performer-500-Instrument-Cable-103390191-i1128617.gc
That is the guitar cord I bought.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what about the socket the amp is plugged into? have you tried other outlets and/or do you have other stuff plugged into a power strip along with amp?

;

I think you just found the problem! Alright, so... While the buzz noise I described was occuring, it was plugged into a 6-socket power outlout(3 being used), which was connected to a 6-socket wall outlet(all of those being used!). So that's a lot of stuff.

When I plugged my amp into a wall socket with nothing else in it, the thing was essentially completely silent with no "tap", no buzz!

Thanks for helping me figure out what was causing the problem, but is there any other solution besides finding a completely empty wall socket? Because I doubt I would be able to find an empty one.
imo - not really. every house is different. i hear older homes have a bigger problem. generally speaking they say to keep the amp and any other pedals needed on it's own power strip if not it's own power outlet.

as you have found, all that stuff is causing alot of unnecessary electrical noise.

worst case you can try running a high quality extension cord, like the outdoor kind, across the house or room to give you a seperate power feed. it is also possible a power conditioner might work but i don't know much about those.

glad to hear you at least isolated the problem.

;
Quote by negativnancy
I don't think it's bad grounding with my guitar actually.

Well, that might not cause all of the buzz, but if the buzzing stops when you touch the strings, then it's a grounding problem. Your hand grounds the strings -> no buzz. No hands -> no grounding -> buzz. I have it too, but I don't mind, I turn the volume on my guitar to 0 or keep a hand on the strings anyway.
Quote by Lunchbox362
^lol, he found the problem.

If you can't just use a wall socket without an extension when you play (Personally, as I have this problem I just unplug my T.V/XBox/DVD player's extension from the wall and use the plug that's left when I play) then try using a surge protected power lead or power conditioner, though those maybe a bit more pricy.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^lol, he found the problem.

I know, I just wanted him to know that he's still got bad grounding in his guitar...
Quote by Lunchbox362