I have a question. What is the different between chord progression and riffs? Consider i have some riffs, and how is the chord progression? Maybe for example, i have this kind of riff:
|-------------------------|
|--------------------3---|
|-0-4-0-3-0-2-0-1---|

How's the chord progression for that riff?
If i playing the riffs, am i playing the chord progression unconsciously?
thx for the reply, hope this isnt a repost.
I don't think you can really have a chord progression for a riff. But you can have a riff for a chord progression. If that makes sense.
Quote by trashmaniac
I have a question. What is the different between chord progression and riffs? Consider i have some riffs, how is the chord progression go? Maybe for example, i have this kind of riff:
|-0-4-0-3-0-2-0-1---|

How does the chord progression for that riff go?
If i am playing the riffs, am i playing the chord progression unconsciously?
Thanks for the reply, hope this isn't a repost.

First of all, grammar nazi wannabe to the rescue.
Second of all, I didn't really understand that, but, if you can figure out a simple chord progression, you could write some kind of lead line in the same key to go with it. That's what Angus does.
Quote by trashmaniac
I have a question. What is the different between chord progression and riffs? Consider i have some riffs, and how is the chord progression? Maybe for example, i have this kind of riff:
|-0-4-0-3-0-2-0-1---|

There's no chord progression to that riff.

It's just a chromatic scale based around your open E ending with an F5 chord.

You can have riffs based on chord progressions. Basically you would have The emphasis of each part of the riff based on the underlying chord tones, and you'd change the emphasis when you wanted the chord to change. This wouldn't be an actual chord progression though, it would just imply one.

A chord progression is just that, a progression of chords, at which time that you are playing actual chords, not single notes
Quote by Talusan

You can have riffs based on chord progressions. Basically you would have The emphasis of each part of the riff based on the underlying chord tones, and you'd change the emphasis when you wanted the chord to change. This wouldn't be an actual chord progression though, it would just imply one.

Can u give me the example of riffs based on chord progression. Thanx dude, it's almost clear for me. It'll be perfect clear if u give me the example. Once again, thank you
when you do PIMA picking, it's bascailly like a riff over a chord progression

The mystical patato head groove thing rythem or backing.

welcome to the jungle, hair of the dog ..stuff like that
is what talsun is reffering to.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by trashmaniac
|-0-4-0-3-0-2-0-1---|

A chord progression is when the chord being used by the harmonic device (Either chords, arpeggios, riffs, anything thats being played under your singers melody) is changing. So you might have a riff based around eminor, than you might play that same riff but base it around B major, and so on so forth.

That riff, if anything, is based off E something.
To over analyse it, it heavily uses the E note (which is why I said E something) as a pedal point and moves around chromatically, giving it a sort of chaotic feel (due to the chromatics) but with a sort of stability (due to the pedal points).
It doesnt really use then minor third anymore than the major third and the fifth is left ambiguous, so we cant really tell if its major or minor or diminished or augmented.