I'm ordering a Valveking 112 and I'd like to put a better speaker in it. What are some good options?

Thanks for your help.
Celestion V30, Eminence Patriot or Redcoat, Mesa makes nice speakers. It all depends on what you want to spend and what sound you want.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Celestion V30, Eminence Patriot or Redcoat, Mesa makes nice speakers. It all depends on what you want to spend and what sound you want.

The Eminence is a good choice.
If you ask me, the Celestion V30 should be avoidable in this case.
V30's only truly shine and sound good when mixed with other speakers. Otherwise they sound too tinny and fuzzy.

/Moe's opinion.
Signatures are overrated.
It depends what you're looking for in the amp and/or what you feel it's lacking. Once you get it and muck around with it and see what you want/don't want I'm sure we can give you a much better suggestion as to what to get. Mine at the moment though would be an Eminence Swamp Thang.
Ok cool. I play a little bit of everything but I play mostly with distortion via pedal.

I'm hearing Eminence from everyone but they have a lot of models. Which is best for me?
Mesa make speakers?
^ Have a look at the Swamp thang and Man O War, To be honest I'd recommend Celestion Vintage 30 but I don't the price difference over there.
EVM12L Classic
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I you need a good hardcore/metal sound I'd try the eminence legend, its has a nice mid hump, which helps it cut through really well
Quote by Horlicks
^ Who the heck would buy that? That's the biggest rip-off I've seen.
Really?

Seriously, why do you say this? I had a 4x12 loaded with EVM12Ls a way back and I thought they sounded absolutely phehomenal.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I honestly doubt they sound 4 times better than most celestions...
If you can afford it then fair enough.
I couldn't afford all of them, I bought the cabinet with them installed for $400

Personally, I've never really been pleased with Celestions. Don't get me wrong, they don't sound "bad", but they don't offer a lot of headroom (Although I've yet to try their 100W model) and IMO, they tend to sound a bit compressed. Not necessarily tight, but limited almost.

The EVM12 on the other hand is very lively. Full-range of tones and it always sounds..."open" is the best way I can describe it.

If he only needs 1 speaker, its not too, too bad IMO.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Indeed I did

I am quite the Snap-on for selling that cab. I miss it everyday, though I did make $100 on the sale
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Ok I've narrowed it down to:

Eminence Patriot Black Powder
Eminence Patriot Screamin' Eagle
Eminence Man O War
Eminence Patriot Swamp Thang

They all look good, help!
Last edited by )(yperX at Jun 6, 2008,
just out of curiousity, why do you need to figure this out now?

my suggestion is to wait for the amp, spend some time with the settings, check youtube, keep asking, and then make a decision. imho.

heck, i don't even think we know what style of music you play outside of 'disti with a pedal'.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 5, 2008,
wharehouse guitar speakers are really good i have a 2x12 loaded with them ( a cl80 and v30 ) and it sounds great .
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Mostly metal, rock, alternative rock and little of everything else.

It's just that I'm certain I want a better speaker than the stock VK 112.

Any help picking between those listed would be awesome.
Quote by )(yperX

Eminence Man O War

Well how do you want to change the tone?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Whichever has the best overall sound, but like I said I'll by primarily using distortion.
Quote by )(yperX

Eminence Man O War

maybe go to the Eminence web site and look these up...i bet there is some good detail on what each is voiced for and then you can make a decision from there.

if i read correctly, your music range is pretty broad - metal to indie maybe? so again, how would we know? are you ordering on-line?

again, i would just wait for amp and deal with this later.

also check into the Celestion V30 and the Warehouse Guitar Speaker equivo.

you have some great responses in this thread so you need to take it and run with it. YouTube maybe?

later
Agreed, I will do my best to decide between them all.

Edit: Unfortunately Eminence's website didn't give a description :/.
Last edited by )(yperX at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by )(yperX
Mostly metal, rock, alternative rock and little of everything else.

It's just that I'm certain I want a better speaker than the stock VK 112.

I suggest you roll your speaker budget into your amp budget, and just get a better amp. Something like a Traynor YCV 40. Or look around for something used. I get the idea of finding a used VK and dressing it up, I don't get buying a new one to upgrade. It's not like it's really anything special.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
slats makes a good point here.... and sorry if Eminence site didn't have better descriptions, maybe i should have checked first before putting my foot in my mouth.

i wonder if Warehouse Guitar Speakers has good comparisons for you?

i'll be doing speaker swap at some point so i need to know too sooner or later i just don't have the answer for ya.
Quote by slatsmania
I suggest you roll your speaker budget into your amp budget, and just get a better amp. Something like a Traynor YCV 40. Or look around for something used. I get the idea of finding a used VK and dressing it up, I don't get buying a new one to upgrade. It's not like it's really anything special.

Well the VK 112 seems to be the best tube amp in the price range. I'm just looking to get an overall better speaker as the only complaint of the VK 112 is the speaker.
I've done some research but I can't find much differences between this speakers

Eminence Man O War
Eminence Ragin Cajun

They all cost roughly the same, can anyone help me choose?
Quote by slatsmania

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm getting the Valveking 112 for around $350 new, is there something else better around that price?
$350? Where?

Are Traynor's available around your parts like Slats suggested? Go to Trynor.com I think and find dealer locator.

Otherwise, no not for $350 new.

Also, have you read thru The Only Valveking thread and possibly posted there?