if a song is in the key of A minor and my guitar is tuned down a half step would I still be able to use the A minor pent scale starting at the 5th fet low E? That is the location of standard tuning(5th fret low E)

Im confused because if I were to be able to: I would have the notes starting from 5th fret low E string , G# B C# D# F# and those notes r not even in the A minor scale!
No... Everything is moved up a fret since you are down tuned... The A is now on the 6th fret.
well it would mean you are playing in the key of Ab minor or G# minor, but you would be playing in a standard Am position. so if you wanted to play in Ab minor you would move to the 6th fret as the root note.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
ok so isnt that A going to sound just like a standard tuning A? what is the point of tuning down then if I have to move it up?
I think this belongs in guitar and bass basics, not music theory.....
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by Martindecorum
the point of tuning it down, is to introduce lower root notes, lol,

yeah. so if I play the A at the 5th fret low E and tune it down a half step its now G# or A flat but those notes r not in the A minor scale if I wanted to solo over a song in key of A minor using the A minor pent scale. I lowered the root as you said by a half step but im confused because I thought all notes of a solo must match the A minor scale notes.
E E E E E E E E E E E E
E||--------------------------|--------5--8-----||
B||--------------------------|--5--8-----------||
G||--------------------5--7--|-----------------||
D||--------------5--7--------|-----------------||
A||--------5--7--------------|-----------------||
E||--5--8--------------------|-----------------||

This is in standard tuning A Minor Pentatonic

E E E E E E E E E E E E
D#||--------------------------|--------6--9--||
A#||--------------------------|--6--9--------||
F#||--------------------6--8--|--------------||
C#||--------------6--8--------|--------------||
G#||--------6--8--------------|--------------||
D#||--6--9--------------------|--------------||

DOwn Half Step Tuning A Minor Pentatonic

Now do u see the difference your thinking of it way to hard
lol ok so arent they gonna sound exactly alike if i gotta move it up? I do not see the point of tuning it down if i gotta move it back up its just gonan sound same as standard. i thought all notes when tuned down a halft step sound lower
lol i feel like a dummy . erm where is the lower note just on the open string only? cause i dont see how there can be one if I moved the whole pattern up
Quote by Unreal T
lol ok so arent they gonna sound exactly alike if i gotta move it up? I do not see the point of tuning it down if i gotta move it back up its just gonan sound same as standard. i thought all notes when tuned down a halft step sound lower

If you don't understand why you'd want to tune down then don't tune down, from the looks of it you're not really ready for it to be honest. Stick with standard and continue learning the basics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com